“By far, the worst curry I've tasted!”
Review of The Raj

The Raj
Ranked #27 of 55 Restaurants in Conwy
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The smells tempted us into this small Indian restaurant (that, and we were desperate for a curry and there are very few curry houses in Conwy). The restaurant was packed and the food smelled beautiful, definitely a good sign we thought. Wrong! The staff didn't seem all that keen to seat us and ignored us for the first few minutes, the service didn't improve after that. The curries arrived and were very very disappointing, I suspect the good reviews are from those that don't eat a lot of curries! Being from the Midlands, I know a good curry. These were bland, I suspect reheated and we could barely distinguish between our dishes despite having ordered differently. I can safely say I could make a curry like this and believe me, I'm no chef! I have to stipulate, we arrived at 9pm so I wonder if that had anything to do with it but you have been warned!

3  Thank Sarah G
There are newer reviews for The Raj

Reviewed 3 November 2013

After an awful takeaway some years ago we have never tried The Raj again. However so glad we did. Warm poppadums and chutneys. The best onion bhaji so light. Chicken korma excellent sauce but chicken a little sparse. Service very good except no ice in drinks. Sorry we waited so long to return.

2  Thank North Wales H
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Don't go there if you are going alone. They turned me away saying we don't have single table. It was embarrassing.

2  Thank vicky s
Reviewed 2 November 2013

While not by any means substandard, the food was average. Nothing about which to complain, but nothing spectacular. I ordered a Cobra beer, but I watched the indifferent server pour a different brand. While none of the servers was rude, none seemed much interested in interacting with my table until we paid the bill, at which point they suddenly became quite friendly. Only then were my friend and I asked whether we had enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We walked in early on a Saturday evening and were greeted with a gruff "have you booked?" we had not and this seemed to be a hassle for the staff. Eventually we were shoved in a cramped corner and left for over 10 minutes. The atmosphere was tense and other diners seemed equally as unhappy. We decided to leave.

4  Thank Paul G