“fantastic hotel, location and wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“fantastic hotel, location and wonderful atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

myself and my partner stayed for her birthday, and had been looking for somewhere not too far from our home town of wrexham but still far enough away to feel like we had had a proper break, we also wanted somewhere quiet and romantic. The castle had been suggested by a colleague and we booked a night there. I work in the hotel trade and therefore am very critical of other hotels service, amenities and offerings. This hotel did not disappoint! the surrounding were beautiful, the room fantastic, staff attentive and extremely pleasant and friendly (not always the easiest thing to get in hotels i know) and the food wonderful - considering the colleague who recommended the hotel is a head chef i was looking to the food to be of a high quality and i was not let down. i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone but especially couples

Room Tip: ask for a castle view room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markbob917
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Call me biased, but it's always nice to get a compliment from a fellow hotelier!
We can be the fussiest people to please, but always appreciative when we get the right sort of treatment when we go out or stay away from home, because we know how difficult it is to get it right consistently.
Obviously, we don't get it right every time, but we always try! And as an independent, privately owned hotel, there's no 'management by manual' here! We try and give the people who work for us a pride in their job working in a family run business and 99 times out a 100 they get it spot on, for which I'm very grateful.
I owe your chef a drink for the personal recommendation! Thank you for writing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This place is amazing I'm sat in room 210 with my lovely wife using free wifi, to me that's a lovely touch as most chains charge. The rooms are lovely, well decorated and the decor in the public areas is very tasteful and sympathetic. The menu looks great and we have a dinner reservation later that will get another review once I've eaten. This place must be on your visit list! It's wonderful!

• Stayed October 2011
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thank you for your response so far! I wonder what happened at dinner!!
I can't agree more re free wifi - it's so annoying to pay silly prices charged in some hotels.
I'm old enough to remember when hotels used to charge for a TV in your room, so perhaps I should make a plea here to my colleagues in the industry to get into the 21st century and drop the wifi charges!!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We have just had a lovely two night stay at the Castle Hotel we stayed in room 207which was delightful,views of the castle illuminated at night jacuzzi bath,beautifully furnished room with nice touches like the television rising from a chest at the end of the bed.The food was excellent we ate in the restaurant and the bar both were exceptional we were spoilt for choice.The staff were very efficient and friendly so combine all this with a perfect location and we will definitely be making a return visit

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thank you for the review. Really pleased you enjoyed your stay in Room 207, it's one of my favourite rooms and you're right - the view of the Castle at night is spectacular!
We get a little blase about the dramatic setting of the town, surrounded by the medieval walls and beautiful Snowdonia in the distance. It's only when we 'see' it again through someone else's experience that we appreciate how lucky we are to live here.
Thank you.
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Have just had a lovely couple of nights at the Castle Hotel , never fails to delight, the food was just wonderful, and the staff lovely. Conwy is such a lovely place to stay and perfect to get out and about in North Wales. The Castle Hotel is an old coaching inn that still retains some of the feel of that time with its very individual and now updated rooms, such a nice change from the battery hotels we have now. We have been staying here for 11 years and have loved seeing some nice new update when we come , this year its the new outdoor area , should be lovely when its finished. Hope it is not too long before we are back. Thanks for a lovely break, batteries now recharged

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janalibor
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thank you for your lovely thoughts and comments, I'll pass them on.
We live or die as a business, by welcoming and looking after our guests, who then return again and again, as in your case. Without guests like you, we wouldn't have survived the last couple of years and certainly wouldn't be able to keep investing in this wonderful old inn.
As you write, the new courtyard area will be great when it's finished! It's taking a bit longer than we'd hoped, but when you use local tradesmen and artisans, you have to wait a little longer! Hope you saw the new cast iron pergola before you left, made by a local blacksmith (yes, we still have one!), it's fabulous!
Look forward to seeing you agian soon, when you can 'plug in' and recharge again!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2011

My parents took all the family to the Castle Hotel to celebrate their Diamond wedding anniversary and we will have the memories forever. We stayed in Room 207 with romantic views over the illuminated castle at night. My parents were honoured with the Deluxe suite - wow - it was sheer luxury. Who would want to stay in a modern glass box hotel after staying here? Character exuded from every corner. It's the finishing touches right down to the Bose sound system, the bath crystals and box of paper tissues in the bathroom which indicate the thought given to comfort. I had a problem with the sound on the TV and I was accompanied immediately back to my room by a lovely gentleman who fixed it (no waiting until next day like some places). The staff made us feel really welcome and contributed to the success of the weekend - even being in on helping to set up a surprise film show in privacy for the family. The food completed the whole experience, being of superb quality and presentation. I really like the concept of locally sourced products and all food reflected pure quality. My son is so impressed he's going back next week! A most memorable weekend, it was such a pleasure from some of the hotels I have had the misfortune to stay at. Highly recommended++++++

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lynne_B144
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
The pleasure was all ours! You were a lovely family and we enjoyed playing a little part in your Mum & Dad's special anniversay.
We thought your father was going to get a little cross when we told him your table for dinner wasn't ready - because you'd arranged a nice surprise for him and your mother prior to eating!
Thank you for your great remarks on our menu and food and the comfort of the hotel.
I only saw you briefly during your stay (taking daughter back to Uni as a Post Graduate) and my son and General Manager Joe looked after you for most of your stay. He's thrilled you had a good time and hopes you managed to get a glass of Champagne?!
Look forward to seeing you for the 65th anniversary!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed at the Castle in May with a small group. We all were very happy with our accommodation, meals and the service. The location was ideal as it is on the main street, within the ancient town walls and just down the street from Plas Mawr, an Elizabethan town house. The hotel has some comfortable public rooms for the use of the patrons--a nice place to relax after a day of touring. Although the building is a historic property, it has been sympathetically updated with an eye to comfort and interior details.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JIJknitting
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
It's always nice to see guests from Canada and so pleased you enjoyed your visit to our very special part of the world. We call it 'God's Country'! My Irish relations might disagree of course!!
As you found, Conwy is a World Heritage Site and a great place to base yourself whilst visiting the numeous historical places of interest in the town and close by.
Thank you for your kind words.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My husband and I didn't stay at Castle Hotel during our Christmas visit to Conwy, but we had a drink and Christmas pudding there as soon as we arrived into town. It was perfect! We went back the following evening for dinner (and more pudding). They've created a lovely ambiance. We were welcomed by a very friendly staff, a roaring fire, and Christmas music playing at the perfect volume (loud enough to hear, but not so loud that we had to talk over it). I'm sure that I will think of their Christmas pudding every Christmas!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TWolter
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
It must be a long way to Texas! Christmas pudding!! Anyway, it's great to know you enjoyed your visit and our hospitality at a special time of year.
Christmas pudding starts again on the 5th December!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#6 of 60 in Llandudno
St. George's Hotel
St. George's Hotel
#14 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!