“Perfect romantic get away.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
Conwy
“Perfect romantic get away.”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have stayed at the Castel Hotel 4 times, and every time my husband and myself have had a wonderful time. From when you arrive you are treated with 5* service. I love how ever room is unique. When we stay we always eat in the hotel, I like sitting in the bar area, it has a lovely atmosphere. The menu is fresh and vast, and gets updated regularly. If you stay always get the breakfast it is top quality my favourite is the black pudding. All in all it's a lovely treat to stay at the hotel. Give it a go.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank ChelleFlyn
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It's always great to hear from a regular guest. You've restored my faith in human nature! Hope we see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here last summer and had a pleasant stay in a super room overlooking the High Street. Called in recently for a drink and the public areas have had a disastrous make-over. Some hideous furniture and incongruous fittings have replaced the faded elegance. There is a new outdoor courtyard area which, again, lacks a quality feel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Another strange review, they seem to come in 'clusters'!
I'll just say (for fear of being censored again!) that we haven't had a makeover since last summer. New carpets and an exposed original Victorian tiled floor is all we've done and yes, a new courtyard area, created by local blacksmith and stonemason built walls, costing over £40,000!
There are photos of the courtyard on this site so you can make your own minds up.
Abergele, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

As a local inhabitant of Conwy and regularly eating out in and out of town I have to say that I have eaten in gourmet restaurants and had far more value for money.
Having ordered the scallops - which were very nice - the way the menue portrayed them even as a light snack was an overstatement.
I think id have had more fulfilment from a bag of crisps.
Wine by the glass is just extortionate and before anyone says you expect to pay that in a four star hotel. No I don't.
I expect to pay that in a five star exclusive hotel.
Not a four star in the middle of a noisey and sometimes disruptive town.
So food ok
Overpriced
Wine a rip off.
Rather have a really excellent meal in the Kinmel Arms in st George to be honest.
Five star at its best there

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Fairandsquare07862
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Once again, this is my third response to this review. I've also asked for it to be removed as being inaccurate and potentially written by someone connected to local competition.
I'll just add that it's worth looking at the other 27 contributions made by this reviewer!
Talbot Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Answer - when you stay at the Castle Hotel Conwy. Having paid nearly £500 for 3 nights in the Castle Suite we expected a suite. We got a room. A massive disappointment. A suite is defined as more than one room or a room large enough to have separate clearly defined areas for sleeping and sitting. We didn't have that. In fact in order to watch TV we had to be in or on the bed as the TV came up from a box at the base of the bed.

Before booking I asked the hotel for internal photos of rooms. I was told that they didn't have any but that I could look on Trip Advisor! Sadly Trip Advisor has not photos of the Castle Suite.

The floors are very creaky and noisy. This didn't upset us but the person staying in room 107 complained at the noise we made on the Sunday morning when walking around the room packing!

So we had 2 problems. We were expected a auite and didn't get one and the cost of the room per night was extremely high for what we had. Certainly not value for money.

Room Tip: Be aware the Suites are NOT suites
2 Thank grandadChepstow
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I treated my husband to a night at the Castle as a Valentine's gift but booked to stay during March en route to an Anglesey track day. We arrived to a somewhat chaotic check in as there was a large family celebration going on that evening. I was in fear for the beautiful Tiffany lamps as children jumped around in the narrow space where the check in desk was! I hadn't booked in time to get a table in the restaurant for the evening but staff were very helpful and had organised one for me in the bar area, which was probably more the kind of atmosphere we were looking for anyway!

The hotel is charming and unique without lovely lamps and ornaments decorating the corridors and had a pleasant subdued grandeur to it. We love old buildings and this hotel had managed to preserve its ancestry far better than some of those recently taken over by big chains etc.

I had booked a feature/deluxe room and The room we were allocated (117) was fabulous, complete with in room tub! We also loved the groovy key rings, which were flattened spoons! The room had views onto the castle which my husband loved and we couldn't resist taking the odd photo and showing our room off via facebook before we went out to explore Conwy.

After a gorgeous day, walking the walls and visiting the harbour (complete with uncharacteristically warm and sunny weather for Wales in March) we returned to the hotel to make use of the huge bath! My only slight niggle was the fact that there were no robes or slippers in the room, which when you have such a feature as an in room giant bathtub, you would expect the luxury to continue beyond stepping out. We had requested robes before we went out (as my room description had included them) but there were none when we returned. A quick call to reception solved the issue though and they were brought to the room within a couple of minutes.

We ate in the bar that evening and the food was so good- and filling, that neither of us could manage a dessert! We slept remarkably well and never heard any noise from the floor above or from the family party that were staying at the same time. We had a leisurely breakfast the following day, despite the fact we should have been rushing! Making our way to Anglesey later than anticipated! We felt so relaxed that by the time we returned home, we felt we had been away for a week- and that's no bad thing!

My only regret is that I missed the Travelzoo offer for this place, as I often take advantage of their deals and have wanted to stay at The Castle since eating there back in 2001! If there are any offers again, I will most certainly return to the Castle and even if there are not, I could still be tempted!

Room Tip: room 117 has a two person bath in the room- very romantic!
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Sounds like you had a great time! You've set the bar high now when it comes to hubby's Valentine's gifts!
Thank you for taking time out to write such a comprehensive review of your stay.
We bought the hotel in 2000 from a large London based hotel group and have spent the last 12 years undoing all the 'corporateness' and adding back some of the original character, whilst trying to offer contemporary stuff, like free broadband wifi. It's really nice to read you appreciate our efforts, as it's not easy to do, especially in the current economy.
You'll be pleased to know that we are 'stocking up' on extra bath robes and slippers, so they will be an automatic service in our feature rooms in a very short period of time.
Look out for our various packages and offers on our website, which are available throughout the year and there will probably be another Travelzoo winter offer, as it was incredibly popular!
bangor, wales
Reviewed 29 March 2012

cannot fault the castle hotel, in conwy. Fabulous relaxing atmosphere. lovely room. great food and a great welsh breakfast especially their own muesli. This is our first time to stay but have been for evening meals in the past, can highly recommend for a night away to chill.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for a realy positive review, perhaps I should say 'diolch yn fawr' as you are from just a few miles away!
Sometimes we try and go too far to 'get away' but you and I both know that if you get the right place, it doesn't matter where it is and if you only have to drive 20 minutes, all the better!
Derby,
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We ate here on Sunday 25th March. Beautiful food, well presented, good sized portions and friendly helpful staff! The restaurant setting is delightful and relaxed without being pretentious and stuffy. Excellent! We will definitely visit again when in the area.

plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you very much for writing such a positive review.
We served over 200 meals on the Sunday you came, weather was beautiful, so lots of people dining outside in our new Courtyard! You chose the dining room which has a different atmosphere to the bar, lounge and courtyard and it was clearly the right choice for you. Hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#6 of 60 in Llandudno
St. George's Hotel
St. George's Hotel
#14 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!