“NOT RECOMMENDED”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights ago. After booking on a special deal through living social, the woman on reception said she had no record of our booking. Fair enough, but she made no attempt to apologise; as if it was our own fault. Ironically, they have "certificates of customer service" plastered all around the reception area. There is a sign to welcome you, because presumably the hotel staff are unable to do this.
Parking is a problem. We were told to just 'park in the middle' of the full car park, and leave your keys, the staff will move your car to the next available space (at your own risk) No thanks!
The room smelled old and damp, but the decor was more offensive. Clashing isn't the word.
When we went for dinner, the hostess tried to sit us at a table next to the only other couple dining. Bizarre, and very basic dining etiquette. Luckily, she allowed us to select a different table. Of course, she placed the next couple to arrive at the very same table.
Food was well presented, and tasted well, but the chicken was lacking sufficient veg/potatoes. We were left feeling hungry after the two courses. Luckily for us, we were the early diners, as there were mutterings around of slow service.
When we checked out, the woman who checked us in completely ignored us (this would have been her chance to apologise for her behaviour at check in). However, the couple in front of us were having even bigger problems, to be honest we were just glad to leave.
The bar is obviously a favourite of the locals, but I suspect that is more due to lack of competition.
After arriving at this hotel I started to read the trip advisor comments, and it seems the hotel is in denial!, so I'll expect some abuse from "the management".
Quite a terrible experience all in all! ..would NOT RECOMMEND.

Room Tip: I'd suggest avoiding altogether.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank 1,230,918,736
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

As it's me who does the responding - I suppose you expect me to defend our business and our staff and to give you a hard time for writing a negative review!
Well .....I'm tempted - but instead perhaps you have read different reviews than I've just read on here? I'm not "in denial" - I need to take medication for that at my age! I've just gone down the last 5 or 6 pages on Tripadvisor -30 reviews - 17 were 5's; 10 were 4's; 2 were 3's and yours.
Please be assured that we fully appreciate that we do not get it right every time and I will investigate the points and complaints you make.
We constantly review our operation and amend and improve where necessary - and even super negative customers receive our complete attention.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayerd on a one night groupon type deal, in one of the larger rooms. lovely traditional hotel that has been developed bespoke. The food was excellent, and Conwy itself is a nice place to spend a day or two.

Room Tip: Ask for onje overlooking the beautiful Conwy castle if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had lunch at the Castle Hotel, Conwy just before Xmas, we sat at a window table in the bar area, the menu has a huge variety catering for all tastes. The service was very good considering it was so busy, we didn't have a long wait for our meals. I opted for the risotto which was scrumptious and creamy and my husband ordered the 6oz rump of Welsh steak on ciabatta with onions and served with beautifully cooked hand cut chips, the portions are very generous. I would highly recommend dining here as the bar and lounge areas are very comfortable and welcoming as well as very pleasant staff.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were lucky enough to "see in" the New Year at this wonderful old hotel, situated right in the middle of Conwy. The entire experience - from the outstanding food to the comfortable bed - was amazing. Many, many thanks to Mr. Peter Flavin, and ALL his staff for making it one of our best New Year celebrations ever.

Room Tip: Because of its situation, I don't think any of the rooms have outstanding views but those at the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family and I booked a bargain break dinner, bed and breakfast - next time I'd be happy to pay full price! The hotel is tucked away from the castle on a street with quaint shops just a stone's throw from the waterfront. The room was lovely, tastefully decorated with very comfortable fittings. The real treat though was dinner - delicious food, and the restaurant was clearly full of local diners (we could hear the Welsh & accents) - always a good sign when the locals use the restaurant. The child's menu was very good - healthy options but scrummy treats, my 8 year old loved her fish pie.My husband and I both cleared our plates at dinner and the beautiful breakfast, and we are going back as soon as the weather picks up!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary, as we have previously dined in the restaurant and the food was excellent. Staff and service is very good. Areas for improvement are it needs bigger more comfortable beds - the premium room we stayed in was huge but only had what seemed like a three quarter bed which was far too small. The noise of the creaking floor from the room above became very irritating after a while, no idea what was going on up there! We where in room 110 which is directly above the restaurant. Not a problem in itself but the constant drone of the piped music got very annoying, and it started at 7.30am on Sunday morning! We had a good deal called December nights which was excellent value for money, and the car park is free. Would stay again but only on the top floor! We did leave a comment form.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed here many times over the past few years on business trips. Rooms are individual, staff are friendly and can't do enough to help you, food excellent. They even recognise me when I return which is really nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#14 of 59 in Llandudno
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!