“More Menu choice required”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
“More Menu choice required”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have eaten here on many occasions and it is always pretty good. However on our last two visits I have been disappointed by the menu. They changed what was a great deconstructed chicken curry into something not nearly as nice and the Shin beef was just ordinary where in the past it was great.
Always very good service, hoping for a better menu next time. If it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Castle Hotel as part of her birthday present. As our stay progressed I tried to think of a statement which summed up the Castle Hotel and as we were checking out I realized what sets this establishment apart from so many other hotels – “Team Work”. Every member of staff has a clearly defined role however each member of staff appears to be adept at multi-tasking thus vastly improving the guest experience. For example as we were checking out at 11.00 am the young man who is restaurant supervisor was busy vacuuming the entrance carpet. OK it may not impress everyone but it certainly impressed me and there were so many similar examples of this positive helpfulness.

Ruth checked us in and Lorraine checked us out again a ten out of ten experience.

We ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and were suitably impressed by the choice, presentation and service.

A nightcap in the bar before we retired for the evening was an enjoyable experience and significantly there appeared to be a number of local patrons which is always a good sign.

Our room was comfortable and quiet with a view of Conwy Castle. I have the distinct feeling we will return.

Room Tip: We were allocated room 121 and it was great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Abergele, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here on 25/1/14 on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. I can't praise the hotel and staff enough, we had a fantastic stay. All the staff were courteous and friendly and nothing was too much bother - how refreshing in this day and age when customer service seems to have been forgotten about! The food in the restaurant was superb and well worth the money for the quality. Bedroom was equipped with everything you would need for a stay. Breakfast again was mouthwatering with plenty of choice. We'll definitely be back

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie E
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Booked a one night stay via living social for £109 for the two of us comprising bed, breakfast and evening meal with a bottle of house wine. The deal was such good value for Money. We only had a premium room but we could not fault anything. The only down side was the size of the portions for dinner. The food was excellent and tasty, but just not enough for us and the wine was delicious.
The staff could not do enough for us and we would definitely recommend it and would stay again without the deal.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

The staff were attentive but not in your face, the welcome from the desk, particularly Brian, made you want to relax and enjoy. Was very pleasantly surprised with the food, which was excellent and the accommodation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with colleagues on business for one night at the end of January 2014 and it was my second visit. It has a very homely yet historic feel about the place and staff are very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. It is awash with quirky artefacts and ornaments in keeping with its general ambience. My room was a single which was at the front of the hotel looking out onto the main street of Conwy. Well furnished, comfortable with an armchair, flat screen tv and tea/coffee tray stowed in the wardrobe. All very correct. On my last visit I made a huge mistake by eating out because on this visit we discovered just how good the food in the restaurant was. We all agreed it was delicious and whilst not the cheapest menu it was superb. I had posh fish and chips ( with scallops and king prawns) wow. We'd already sampled the locally brewed ale and it too was very good. Breakfast was good too and I opted for scrambled within smoked salmon. I would recommend this hotel very strongly but you must eat in!!!! I shall return for sure.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights ago. After booking on a special deal through living social, the woman on reception said she had no record of our booking. Fair enough, but she made no attempt to apologise; as if it was our own fault. Ironically, they have "certificates of customer service" plastered all around the reception area. There is a sign to welcome you, because presumably the hotel staff are unable to do this.
Parking is a problem. We were told to just 'park in the middle' of the full car park, and leave your keys, the staff will move your car to the next available space (at your own risk) No thanks!
The room smelled old and damp, but the decor was more offensive. Clashing isn't the word.
When we went for dinner, the hostess tried to sit us at a table next to the only other couple dining. Bizarre, and very basic dining etiquette. Luckily, she allowed us to select a different table. Of course, she placed the next couple to arrive at the very same table.
Food was well presented, and tasted well, but the chicken was lacking sufficient veg/potatoes. We were left feeling hungry after the two courses. Luckily for us, we were the early diners, as there were mutterings around of slow service.
When we checked out, the woman who checked us in completely ignored us (this would have been her chance to apologise for her behaviour at check in). However, the couple in front of us were having even bigger problems, to be honest we were just glad to leave.
The bar is obviously a favourite of the locals, but I suspect that is more due to lack of competition.
After arriving at this hotel I started to read the trip advisor comments, and it seems the hotel is in denial!, so I'll expect some abuse from "the management".
Quite a terrible experience all in all! ..would NOT RECOMMEND.

Room Tip: I'd suggest avoiding altogether.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 1230918736
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
As it's me who does the responding - I suppose you expect me to defend our business and our staff and to give you a hard time for writing a negative review!
Well .....I'm tempted - but instead perhaps you have read different reviews than I've just read on here? I'm not "in denial" - I need to take medication for that at my age! I've just gone down the last 5 or 6 pages on Tripadvisor -30 reviews - 17 were 5's; 10 were 4's; 2 were 3's and yours.
Please be assured that we fully appreciate that we do not get it right every time and I will investigate the points and complaints you make.
We constantly review our operation and amend and improve where necessary - and even super negative customers receive our complete attention.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!