“Good for one night stay”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here on our way to Dublin. Conwy is a nice town, with excellent fish and chips. The Castle Hotel is old and quaint. Internet access was easy and free, so was parking though the entrance can be a bit tight if you have anything bigger than an Honda CR-V. The pub and restaurant were decent, and the staff friendly. The rooms were a bit constrained in space and probably hot during July-August (small windows), but par for the course in a building of its age. Enjoy this fine establishment for what it is. There was quite a bit of noise early in the morning (on Friday) from council crew working hard to keep the little town spotless, so ask for a room facing the parking lot if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for one facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for your positive review, we're pleased you seemed to enjoy your stay.

Yes, Conwy is a busy little Medieval walled town, so early mornings are occasionally bustling with a little street noise. Sorry if you were disturbed.
Hope we see you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Dined here on Saturday 19th July, 2 adults plus 1 child. Nice setting, ordered food which included a Risotto and Garlic bread to start. Firstly the Risotto probably the most generous portion I have ever beef served, how disappointing to find it tasting so bland, the garlic bread was a French stick sliced with cheese and supposedly garlic, again very very bland tasting (my wife thought it odd that a fellow diner was adding salt to his Garlic bread) now we know why. Main courses posh fish and chips for me which I would describe as ok, my wife chose the sea bass on a risotto again she complained of the lack of flavour, my 12 year old son chose Chicken Ballantine which in fairness he enjoyed. Service between courses was slow. To summarise we purchased 2 x starters, 3 main courses, 1 x sweet, 4 x alcoholic drinks and 2 x soft drinks our bill £97:35 with an AUTOMATIC service charge on top of £7:16, so not a cheap dining experience to say the least. Would we visit again - No

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Always very difficult to comment on someone's 'complaint' about food, when they said nothing at all when they were here.
I would just say that the risotto has lots of smoked haddock and chorizo sausage in it, poached egg on top drizzled with a pesto dressing and balsamic glaze - and I've never heard it called "bland" in the 10 years or more it's been on the menu. It's been on that long because when we tried to take it off - our local diners almost rioted!
Prices? 3 people dining with one having 3 courses - 4 glasses of wine and 2 other drinks for about £30 a head - is that silly money? Please remember best part of £20 goes in VAT back to the Government and the 10% service charge is added to the food element of the bill only, guests are advised of it before dining and obviously it will be removed if requested.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I made reservation from the U.S. Weeks in advance. The hotel staff stayed in communication via email to ensure all of our needs would be taken care of. We did reserve 3 Club Rooms and the Suite for The birthday boy. I also sent over 2 fruitcakes from the U.S. to have ready as this was the cake of choice.
Rooms were great. Clean, comfortable, the views were tremendous of the Castle. Our staff was attentive and made sure that every need was seen to. Dinner and lunch was very nice as better then we had expected. I also was able to work with the bar staff to create a couple of special drinks for our party.
If you are just traveling through and looking for a place to spend the night you may not feel the cost is justified. But if you are making the Hotel your destination with the ability to spend a few days in a great town. I put this on the top of my list. If you have questions with the staff just ask.

Room Tip: Make sure when reserving a room to say you want view of Castle. Also if a special occasion let the s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We found this place by chance while travelling and had a very nice dinner there : since, we dream to go again, for a stay in the hotel ... Increible atmosphere, increible old building : very picturesque and welcoming. Many little quiet corners, llittle lounges and places to stay, read, chat, drink, or even work. The pub inside the hotel is very nice. Next time I go to North Wales in UK, I will stay there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We paid approx. 140 GBP per night for a "club double room" in July. This was by far the most expensive hotel during our trip to North Wales, and given the price, we were expecting a room that is at least slightly above the level of an average hotel in the region. The place was OK, but I did not really see any difference between this hotel and other places with a much lower room rate.

To be fair, there were lots of positive things about the hotel: The location was of course excellent, right in the middle of the town. The building and the room looked nice. Breakfast was included (a typical English breakfast and some more fancy alternative dishes cooked to order). Sensible taps in the bathroom sink. Wifi was free and easy to use (no logins, no welcome pages). Sufficient number of power sockets.

However, there seemed to be some lack of attention to details. Some examples:

- No air conditioning!

- Poor ventilation in bathroom (even with the fan on); lots of humidity all the time everywhere.

- Shower did not work that well; low water pressure, and we had to keep adjusting the temperature all the time.

- Questionable door; the lock does not give the impression of security and reliability.

- No trash can in the men's room in the lobby.

- Wifi has a very poor performance. It takes a long time to load web pages and forever to load short videos. Occasionally it just stops working for a while.

- Some fresh berries and/or fresh vegetables on breakfast would have been nice (especially in season).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Yet another nice meal at the Conwy Castle hotel in Conwy town. We went with friends on a Friday evening and as usual booked a table in the bar area which has a good atmosphere. We all had different main courses and everyone was excellent. Desserts are a work of art and taste quite yummy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PH&LH
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just stopped in here for a coffee so I cannot comment on anything
else. I asked for a single espresso, short and strong. It came up
to the brim of the espresso cup and weak, no body to it. I asked
the waiter to give me what I asked for and it came back very quickly
with the crema on the top missing. I have a nasty suspicion that he
just poured half of it away. It tasted weak with no body. Only a small
thing but enough to put me off this establishment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#19 of 60 in Llandudno
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!