“Dinner party”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Very enjoyable late dinner. Perfectly cooked rack of Welsh lamb, good wines, excellent service. A well managed restaurant with a talented chef in an historic hotel strong on tradition. Have dined here several times over a number of years. I am Impessed by how the high standards are maintained with great consistency.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you very much - diolch yn fawr iawn.
We have owned the hotel for 14 years and have always tried to maintain high standards of facilities, food and service - even through some difficult trading periods. It's our loyal guests like yourselves who have helped see us through - and a terrific team of local people over those years, who have worked their socks off!
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here as we wanted to revisit Conwy itself and to walk around the City Walls.
An awesome stay. The room we had which has a Four Poster bed that was centuries old, yet still extremely comfortable. The room and the hotel were very clean. The staff were really welcoming and helped make our stay even more memorable.
Our accommodation also included breakfast, which was ample and tasty....the only issue we had here was that the plates were so hot that even the slightest touch burnt. The waitress did warn us of this, but it would still be better and safer to have the plates no quite as hot.
The history of this hotel is further enhanced by the history and atmosphere of Conwy itself.
Fully recommend as a place and hotel to stay at. We plan to re visit and to stay in this hotel again on our next trip to Wales.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

What a great review - thank you so much for writing.
We get a lot of guests staying with us from all over the world and it's really nice to hear when someone travels so far to be in Conwy and thoroughly enjoys themselves.
Sorry about the overly hot plates - we always strive to serve our hot food on hot plates - but it appears that someone has been a bit too 'enthusiastic' on this occasion!
Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

First impressions of the hotel were great - I really loved the character and decor of the hotel. We also booked the suite as we were travelling with two kids. The double bath was brilliant and enjoyed by all and the champagne on arrival was a nice touch. However there were quite a few niggling points - which on their own seem quite minor but added together became quite annoying - especially considering the top dollar price of the suite.

First there is only one plug in the whole suite which is in the lounge area (- I imagine its because its a listed building???) but in this day and age who doesn't want to charge their phone/laptop/use hair dryers etc? The hotel does provide a hair dryer but its one of those hose ones circa 1990's public swimming pool type ones which is useless. Given all the other equipment is top of the range and you can't use your own this really needs updating. There is also no fridge in the room.

Also there is very little info provided about the facilities in your room either by staff or through information in the room, eg there is a coffee machine with coffee pods that are various colours but you don't know which are filter/espresso etc etc. What information there was in the room we discovered was 2 years out of date when enquired about the baby listening service.

The staff were very friendly and tried hard to accommodate our various requests but literally every single thing you asked any of them no one knew the answer to and they had to double check.

Finally they do not allow buggies in the restaurant and don't allow you to eat in the lounge in the evening so if you want to eat there with children you have to sit in the smoking area outside which isn't pleasant and is a bit crazy as they have to walk the food through the lounge to get it there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hnnnnnnn
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thanks for your review which on the whole is pretty objective, although a little unfair.
I was made aware of your booking by our DM on your arrival, as you booked your room through a 3rd party website, who didn't inform us you had chidren, just a cot required, as we don't accommodate children in the Caer Rhun Suite.
However, we made an exception for you as you had obviously travelled a long way to be with us. Pleased you enjoyed your Champagne, which is obviously within the price you paid - £208 + VAT per night including cooked Welsh breakfast. From that we have paid your 3rd party agent 15% commission, which has left around £170.
I've just returned from a holiday in France and for a 2 room suite, inferior to ours costs around 300 Euro room only - so I don't we're overpriced for the time of year. This is prime time in this part of the world, cheaper prices and packages are available occasionally and at less busy times.
I take your point about the coffee machine - it's a Nespresso one and all the pods are espresso - there is usually information in the room about the pods, but guests seem to like to take it away! Yes, sockets in the bedroom are a little limited, but there are plenty in the lounge - usually more than enough for out guests needs. The hair dryer in the bathroom is a 'health & safety issue - it's brand new by the way - and we can provide another if requested.
Dining with a buggy is a little difficult, due to the space available - they become a hazzard to staff and other guests, but high chairs are available and a quiet corner can be found in our dining room, for a very small child to be left in it's carrycot or chair.
I suppose you can't win them all? We're just checking in a very famous celeb into the same room, who's been back for the last 4 years - he loves the Caer Rhun Suite!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I dropped into the Hotel Bar for an evening meal after reading reviews of how good the food is here and true to reputation I was well met, seated quickly and asked for my drinks order and given a menu. My pot of tea arrived quickly - all very nice considering it was a very busy Wednesday evening.

Unfortunately that was where it ended! I spent the next 15 or so minutes trying to attract attention to order whilst staff wafted past me as if I was invisible, perhaps this was because I had ordered tea which is normally served after a meal?

After this time I took the e-mail address from the menu and e-mailed the hotel from the table stating I was going to leave to see if they noticed and included my forwarding address for the bill (in case they noticed me leave if nothing else).

They did not notice me leave and I received a reply a short time later from Gareth 'a director' who stated he had been in the bar area that night and had 'noticed me'. Very disappointingly, after apologising, he suggested it was my own fault I had not been served because they were (i) very busy, (ii) I was drinking coffee (sic) and (iii) I should have spoken to them.... I assume this last point was made fatuously! What did he think I'd been trying to do for the 15 minutes before I sat there and e-mailed? Short of physically restraining a staff member as they went past I tried everything else!

Amusingly his parting comment was that he would forward me the bill for the tea.

HOWEVER - I assume from local feedback (I'm in Conwy every week) and from the other reviews on here that they simply had a off night, I can give only one star as the level of service meant I did not actually get to sample the food!

As for me, in future when I'm in Conwy, I'll be dining at Watsons Bistro where both the service and the food were excellent!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Jeff B

My father was from Lancashire and one of his favoured expessions was "there's nowt so queer as folk"! I never truly understood this saying until I started working in this industry over 40 years ago! I thought I'd seen everything, but here's a first!
Now I know we could have done better for this chap - it was busy and he was over looked - but who stays sitting and writes an email - when he could have got up and walked 5 paces to the bar and grabbed a member of staff.
He was sitting outside drinking tea amongst lots of other people just taking drinks - so sorry we missed you - 120 other people on Wednesday night seemed very happy with their service and meals!
Do you know the other 'funny' thing with this review - this chap was seen writing and sending it using our free wifi!
You know Dad - you were right!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Only stayed 1 night en route to Holyhead . Sorry we did not have another night there. Lovely hotel , room very nice. We had dinner in the garden area and it was an excellent meal. Breakfast also very good. Hotel has parking and wifi.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind review.

Now you know where we are and just 40 minutes off the Irish ferry, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here on our way to Dublin. Conwy is a nice town, with excellent fish and chips. The Castle Hotel is old and quaint. Internet access was easy and free, so was parking though the entrance can be a bit tight if you have anything bigger than an Honda CR-V. The pub and restaurant were decent, and the staff friendly. The rooms were a bit constrained in space and probably hot during July-August (small windows), but par for the course in a building of its age. Enjoy this fine establishment for what it is. There was quite a bit of noise early in the morning (on Friday) from council crew working hard to keep the little town spotless, so ask for a room facing the parking lot if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for one facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review, we're pleased you seemed to enjoy your stay.

Yes, Conwy is a busy little Medieval walled town, so early mornings are occasionally bustling with a little street noise. Sorry if you were disturbed.
Hope we see you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Dined here on Saturday 19th July, 2 adults plus 1 child. Nice setting, ordered food which included a Risotto and Garlic bread to start. Firstly the Risotto probably the most generous portion I have ever beef served, how disappointing to find it tasting so bland, the garlic bread was a French stick sliced with cheese and supposedly garlic, again very very bland tasting (my wife thought it odd that a fellow diner was adding salt to his Garlic bread) now we know why. Main courses posh fish and chips for me which I would describe as ok, my wife chose the sea bass on a risotto again she complained of the lack of flavour, my 12 year old son chose Chicken Ballantine which in fairness he enjoyed. Service between courses was slow. To summarise we purchased 2 x starters, 3 main courses, 1 x sweet, 4 x alcoholic drinks and 2 x soft drinks our bill £97:35 with an AUTOMATIC service charge on top of £7:16, so not a cheap dining experience to say the least. Would we visit again - No

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Always very difficult to comment on someone's 'complaint' about food, when they said nothing at all when they were here.
I would just say that the risotto has lots of smoked haddock and chorizo sausage in it, poached egg on top drizzled with a pesto dressing and balsamic glaze - and I've never heard it called "bland" in the 10 years or more it's been on the menu. It's been on that long because when we tried to take it off - our local diners almost rioted!
Prices? 3 people dining with one having 3 courses - 4 glasses of wine and 2 other drinks for about £30 a head - is that silly money? Please remember best part of £20 goes in VAT back to the Government and the 10% service charge is added to the food element of the bill only, guests are advised of it before dining and obviously it will be removed if requested.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#17 of 59 in Llandudno
Black Boy Inn
Black Boy Inn
#1 of 8 in Caernarfon

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!