“Brilliant Location”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
knutsford
“Brilliant Location”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

On Arriving at the Castle Hotel from the rear car park I was dissapointed and thought my choice of Hotel had been a mistake. It needs a lick of paint and a tidy up !
Reception wasn't much better carpet shabby and just a window in the office wall to greet guest through.
After being told where are room was on the First floor ( no lift ) I got a very pleasant surprise
Bright and well decorated landing and our rooms where very clean, spacious and very comfortable. Ensuite bathroom large and spotless.
We did't eat that evening in the Hotel as we wanted to see more of Conwy, we visited a lovely old pub on the bottom road for a drink and ate Italian.
Breakfast in the Hotel was as good as you are going to get, buffet table and Cooked food whatever you fancied. Staff very pleasant.
The only niggle I have and it's not the Hotels fault because the Castle is one of the main roads through Conwy we where woken quite early 5.30 am and as one of your other subscribers have mentioned that Church Clock stricking on the quarter and the hour. After a few nights I am sure it wouldn't bother you!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
North West
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Needing somewhere in Conwy to stay for a couple of nights I had no hesitation to contact the Castle Hotel as ive stayed there on two occasions and have had no problem.

As a single person im always weary of staying in hotels as I usually get the smallest room with a dreadful views of back alleys, bins etc.

I eagerly arrived at the Castle and check-in was very smooth and pleasant. Was given my room key, Room 111 and I looked forward to a peaceful quiet couple of nights.

The Receptionist wished me 'Good luck' in finding the room which I thought was a little odd. The room was in a side corridor with nithing else but the Fire Escape. I was sad to see the size of the room, compared to the other rooms in the Hotel. But being here only for 2 nights, the size was not a major issue. Small single bed is always a slight disappointment. The bathroom was small and the view was a brick wall!

But what really disappointed me was the incredible heat in the room. There was a fan but it didnt work. The heat was terrific. It may be August but certainly not hot outside. The heat was bad that it was very difficult to sleep. If that wasn't bad enough, a rattle began in the early hours of the morning that kept going until mid-morning. Getting out of bed to find this rattle I realised that it was coming from the wall the bed was against. It sounded like a boiler but I don't know. With the heat and the noise I got no sleep at all!

Something I've never done is to ask for another room. The Receptionist told me 'No' and suggested that if it was too bad I should keep a window open and move the bed! There is simply nowhere the bed can go because of the size of the room.

It was the same for the second night.

I'm sad about this because its blighted my previous happy experiences of the hotel and would be very reluctant to go again also because of very unhelpful staff.

If any single people book, make sure you do not get this room!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StoneycroftNorthWest
Derbyshire
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We had a great weekend at this hotel,we had the room over the main entrance with a view of the street full of carved antique furniture and beautiful drapes.
Loved the room and the cosy feel of the hotel very comfortable and the best thing was my dog was made so welcome they even put her a bed in the room .
The staff were very friendly but unobtrusive.
The area is great for walking and to say it was school holidays not to many children around !Conway is great for couples wanting to get away from it all no seaside rides and arcades in sight....
Oh nearly forgot to mention the breakfast in the hotel was fab all fresh local ingrediants and cooked to perfection :)Will try the restuarant in the evening on our next visit.
The local bars in the evening not to busy but we were made to feel very welcome by the locals .A lovely time was had by all. A big thankyou to all at the castle hotel. X

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I was recently there with my wife and kids, age 4 to 15. We booked two rooms. One was a "family sized" room, which was beautiful. We were there in July,and the room was a little hot for sleeping, as it only had one small window that opened. I suspect this is an unusual problem, as it was fairly hot when we were there. The other room we had, though not as spacious or nice, was much cooler. Another small knock on our larger room: it was near the front of the hotel, and every morning a large truck would load empty bottles for recycling: quite noisy!
The reception staff were personable, and the food was very, very good. We had breakfast and dinner there every day. The location is excellent, being within the town walls and very close to everything. The fact they have their own parking lot (free) is very nice, as is the free internet.

Manchester
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We stayed for one night at the Castle, as we were attending a wedding in another local venue. Initially I had booked 2 nights, but due to an unforseen major bill decided to cancel the first night (the night before the wedding) about a month in advance, which I was able to do via email with no fuss at all.

We booked a club double for myself and my husband, and I thought I had booked a premium twin room for my two teenagers. When we arrived, before the check in time of 2pm, the rooms were ready, although it turned out the premium room that had been booked was a double not a twin. The receptionist checked if there was a twin available, and on finding there wasn't said that she would have housekeeping make up the sofa bed in the premium room. Having taken bags to our rooms, we went for lunch in the bar, and by the time we went back up the sofa bed was made up. The premium room was only £10 a night more than the club room, and as well as being much larger had a view to the front of the hotel, rather than of the fire escape and car park. I would say it was well worth the extra! The premium room had a Bose radio/cd player much to our 18 year olds delight (hopefully he followed my instructions to consider those int he neighbouring rooms!) and ours had a radio with i-pod dock, as well as the usual TV. The bathrooms were very nice, and the rooms pleasant and clean.

The lunch we had in the bar was good quality and not too pricey. There was also a nice local beer on draught as well as the standard range of lagers. Our lunch for 3 of us came to just under £20, with another £8 on drinks. Breakfast the next morning was excellent, although two of the other guests at the wedding who had been there the previous night too said the Sunday breakfast was better than on the Saturday.

I thought the prices were quite high, but they were the same as the wedding venue and the service and public areas were better, so I guess it's just the cost in that area! The reception desk isn't obvious when you go in (it's to the right a little way along the narrow corridor), but I think that's just a quirk caused by the age and shape of the building. The location is great, in the middle of the town, and there was plenty of space in the car park. It's a squeeze to get in there though - if you're in a 4x4 or similar sized vehicle (we weren't) you'll need to take it carefully - the roads and buildings were obviously designed for 15th century rather than 21st traffic, but that's all part of the charm!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Really nice feel to the place, like a favorite pair of shoes. Staff were very helpful when we arrived late at night.

LONDON, UK
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Nice and cosy in the heart of Conwy. Local food prices are certainly not cheap for the location. Hotel classed as 4 star but unable to gain entry after midnight. We had to wait ages to rouse somebody. Housekeeping came very late each day to make up room. Rooms were a little shabby and in need of a lick of paint. Seagulls and church clock would keep light sleepers awake.

Lovely setting and great service by the staff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!