“Geore and Dragon, Conwy”
Review of George & Dragon

George & Dragon
Ranked #9 of 22 Conwy B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Geore and Dragon, Conwy”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Have been here a few times now and always recieve a warm and friendly welcome. Good food at reasonable prices...plenty of choices on the menu. If you're staying here you're very close to all the local attractions...and there's plenty to see in Conwy and the surrounding area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I tried to make it clear in not so may clean words, but had to rephrase it, however, here is what I think.

Food is not good, the bedroom I stayed in was shabby. bed linen could do with updating as they were yellow, towels shabby and well worn, could do with new ones. The manager was rude and disinterested in our complaint and on the verge of aggressive. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or enemies!. Conwy is really lovely, but staying at the George and Dragon ruined our get away. It is not a friendly hotel. Bar staff were friendly and did their best. I ticked swimming pool facilities by mistake there is no swimming pool. My advice Do not stay at the George and Dragon not good!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel in the area. Conwy is a beautiful area, but do not stay at G&D
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandra d
Graham R, Owner at George & Dragon, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you felt your stay with us was so disappointing. I have taken points on board such as the towels and bedding and these were already in the process of being replaced.
The room you stayed in was a large double room with a large bathroom which was decorated last year and has now had new bedding. We have never had any complaints about this room in the past and it is a very popular room.
You do not say what the nature of your complaint was and I cannot recall a complaint around the date of your review. Also, had there been a genuine complaint made then it would have been dealt with in a professional manner and certainly without any show of aggression as you suggested happened.
We have many repeat guests who always praise all the staff and management.

Travellers are raving about these Conwy hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We would have liked to have eaten here, but despite there being menu boards displayed & other notices, we were told that they weren't serving as the only chef had a day off!
They did however serve a very nice soda water with lime and the barman was doing his best to promote crisps & peanuts!

1 Thank MLW28
Wilmington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We spent two nights here in June 2013. We were initially very pleased that the landlord allowed us to stay there with out dog, a very well behaved border collie. We were shown the room before we accepted and although there were no frills it was bright, clean and tidy if a little tired. The landlord was very friendly and remained so throughout or stay. Unfortunately that is where the good points end. The room proved to be very stuffy, even with the windows fully open and the weather wasn't even very warm. As it overlooked the High Street it was also very noisy with the windows open. The shower door didn't close and the drainage system for the toilet, shower and sink were via an automatic electric pump with was very noisy.
Breakfast was dreadful. I don't ever eat a cooked English breakfast as I cannot digest large amounts of fat that easily. I normally opt for cereals and toast but the choice of cereals was limited to just Kellogg's cornflakes or Wheetabix. Orange juice was available but the glasses looked like they hadn't been washed properly. The room also smelled of stale cooking fat. To get service you have to ring a bell which we did. I young lad seemed to be in charge so I asked for some toast and marmalade. My husband had a full English breakfast. He then disappeared before we had a chance to order tea to go with it. When the breakfast arrived my toast came with apricot jam. I pointed this out to him and he said he would go and look for some marmalade. He didn't. I don't jam on toast so I asked if there was anything else I could eat. He eventually came back with a bowl of muesli which was basically just oats and a few sultanas. I normally like muesli but this was really boring. I knew there was a supermarket just 100 yds up the road so I went out and bought myself a jar of marmalade to have with my toast. My husbands breakfast was fine.
Next day as I entered the restaurant he said to me he had now got some marmalade in but when he brought me my toast he didn't bring it out so I eat my own again. When he brought out my husbands breakfast he apologised that he didn't have any eggs so had given him some hash browns instead. There was a shop just two doors down on the other side of the road selling eggs but he never thought to buy any. The place wasn't even busy, we were the only couple in the restaurant and the previous day there had only been one other couple.

Room Tip: Take your own breakfast if you don't eat cooked breakfasts
2 Thank Sally T
Carmarthenshire
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Staying in Conwy decided to have a meal on the evening of my Birthday. We choose the George & Dragon as we had been there a few times for drinks and they have a lovely walled garden. The Landlord and staff are very friendly and it was great that we were allowed to take our small dog with us. Mussels were on the menu and I was assured that they were excellent served with peppers and cream sauce. My expectations were good as I have heard so much about the Large Conwy Mussels and also seen a programme on TV . What a disappointment they were tiny defiantly not Conwy ones and the sauce represented dish water, Hubby,s meal not to good either.

Kington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

we stayed here on way home ,we were tired and didnt really want to start looking for accomodation,the staff were very friendly and helpful,the room was basic,and i dont think it justifies £65 a nite,it was clean, but also very noisy,the toilet cistern in particular,i wouldnt have wanted a room below this !also walls very thin,and could hear dog barking a lot,and also antics of other people !!!!!evening food we had was good value,although was a little disappointed with the breakfast choices,but nice to be offered smaller portions.

2 Thank jules503874
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We have just spent three nights at the George and Dragon. Whilst it was OK it was not what we were expecting because of the misleading website.
The site showed pictures of white bedding, croissants and orange juice and described the rooms as premium en-suite rooms. The reality was that the bedding was orange and brown, the towels were very old and worn and the rooms in need of refurbishment. There was no hairdryer. The lovingly prepared breakfast was poor with no choice other than fried food.
The website said there was free parking but there was no car park and when I asked where we should park was told it was difficult in Conwy. We had to approach the Tourist Information Office who explained how we could park overnight.
In summary we did not expect luxury for the price of £55 per night but I feel the website is not representational of the offer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank disappointed14450
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
Castle Hotel
Bridge Inn Conwy
Bridge Inn Conwy
#6 of 22 in Conwy
Bryn Derwen Guest House

Been to George & Dragon? Share your experiences!