“Fabulous”

Sychnant Pass Country House
Ranked #4 of 22 Conwy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This time yesterday we were sitting in your hot tub looking out over the hills! Just wanted to say thankyou for a wonderful two day stay at Sychnant pass country hotel, what a lovely place, we were made to feel very welcome by Hugh and the rest of the staff, excellent food and facilities at hotel. Hope to come back soon.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine S
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Glad you enjoyed your time here. The views from the hot tub are great at this time of year with the heather and gorse on the hills. They're stunning. Look forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Sychnant Pass Country House

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed one night on the 10th of July, cannot recommend this hotel enough. Relaxing friendly excellent food,Huw the owner couldnt do enough for you. Views are lovely,Sitting in the hot tub in the drizzle just total relaxation.Lovely walks nearby as long or as short as you want. Conwy just minutes away .Visited the new Welsh food centre near Bodnant good local produce and not that expensive. Will definitley visit this hotel again best Ive stayed at yet.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
HNRP, General Manager at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thank you for your comments, glad you enjoyed your stay. And we agree totally about the new Welsh food centre near Bodnant - it's a great place to visit for locally sourced produce. Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

We came away for two nights to Sychnant Pass, and hope to visit again soon. The room was lovely (no. 10), peaceful and felt very private, and even has a mini-kitchen. After a busy few weeks it was just the right place to rest, swim, enjoy lovely local walking and the grounds of the hotel. Not to mention the food...great choices on the menu and obviously a lot of care went into planning it. Even down to little things like the yoghurts at breakfast - sounds crazy, but they are amazing! Diane merits a special mention, she went out of her way to make sure we were looked after. Great room, exceptional service and lovely food, a perfect mini-break.

Room Tip: I would ask for room ten, good size, nice bathroom with jacuzzi and mini-kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

So glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry I was't able to be around for your second night, but glad that Diane looked after you so well. I knew she would. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We have been a couple of times now and we always look forward to our returns. We have stayed in room 3 each time and its great. Cant fault the place. The Owner Hugh is a gem. He tries his best and Its working. I know he has plans for the place and is slowly getting through them. The room is always spotless and you do get the feel of being away from it all. But its only a short trip into town and that has its quaintness. But here at sychants pass we have always felt a home from home. He said next time book direct with him (Hugh) and we plan too. Just had a busy few months .... so expect the call.
The hot tub is great and the whirlpool bath. The room is large and has a couple of odd floorboards under the carpet that we think are sweet. The swimming pool and spa are clean and how often do you get to sit in a large hot tub looking at fields. Every time we have gone you do feel like the only guest. But then at breakfast your surprised to see many. Oh breakfast. Nice. Very nice. Any problems er to nit pick.... which I really feel I am. The decking outside in room 3 needs cleaning (which I know is hard) or some kinda surface to stop you slipping.
Me and my partner have not told Friends/ family the details to this place because we want it to ourselves. I think that says it all. It is rare to come across a hidden gem and this is one that I for one want kept secret. Well done to all the staff at Synchants Pass. Well done to you the reader for finding it.
I really cant see how you can be disappointed. Hugh is a man that wants to help and make it a special place. It is.

Room Tip: The extra money for a hot tub is worth it if you want to unwind.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kasieworth
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Thank you very much for your posting. I totally agree with your "nit picking" - so much so that back in April, we had the decking thoroughly cleaned and treated with a non-slip solution and it's now looking ten times better - and is much safer too

Er, I have also dealt with the odd floorboards under the carpet - so I hope that doesn't disappoint you when you next visit. Yes, we do have plans for this place - and as you've noticed we are slowly, slowly making improvements. Looking forward to seeing you back here soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was a fabulous spot set in beautiful surroundings but with easy access to Conwy and other towns off the A55. We were welcomed and shown to our room (the bridal suite R11) by Diane the general manager who was very friendly and helpful. The room was large and had everything we needed albeit it was very tired and needed a good clean. The shower and bath area had excessive mildew which is simple to remedie and let the place down. The marked soft towels were luxury in size and make but had been over dried some how and were quite sharp to the touch. Dinner was varied and of a good quality with peronal service again by Diane. The table cloth however was extremely creased and made for a second class presentation. We would return as in close proximity to home but feel the place could be stunning with some TLC. The bed was huge and gave potential for a good nights sleep but was disturbed by the constant hum of what we believed was the filtration from the swimming pool. The owner said it would have been a neighbouring spa bath but we weren't so sure. Mind you did not disturb my husband one jot.

Room Tip: Room 11 suite is large with excellent views of the surrounding countryside but a lttle noisy from sp...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Thank you very much for your review, although we are all disappointed that you didn't bring any of these matters to our attention whilst you were here. It's very difficult to know the specifics of your complaints once you've left - especially relating to the state of your room. Our housekeepers work very hard and are extremely upset to think that you found the room "needing a good clean".

We will investigate your comments concerning mildew in the bathroom - this is the first time that anyone has mentioned it and our housekeepers haven't noticed any evidence of it.

We have recently changed our laundry and we are glad that you like the size & quality of the towels. We are certainly very pleased with the service they provide though we are slightly puzzled about your comment about them being "over-dried".

Yes, the tablecloths do crease very easily - and yes, they are steam ironed after every wash. Unfortunately, it seems to have little bearing on the way they look and we will probably look for more easily maintained ones when they are replaced. It's certainly not for want of trying.

All the machinery relating to the swimming pool is switched off around 9pm at night so wouldn't disturb you; it's difficult to know what the hum might be - it could be one of our rooms with a private hot tub. This goes off at midnight.

There's a lot of work we want to do here and we are slowly getting through it. Returning customers have already noticed the improvements we have made. Sadly, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed here a few years ago and just loved it. It was sold to a different owner a couple years ago and seems to have declined. The rooms seem a little worn and the food was not as good. Most importantly though the people were not nearly as friendly. I doubt I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely go for one of the bigger rooms. The smaller rooms are not nearly as nice. The beds were n...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

This review has upset me. I do my very best to greet guests personally on their arrival. However, as our General Manager, Diane, explained to you when you checked in, my wife and I had to be away from the business to attend my brother's funeral; he'd died at a young age following a brief illness. No excuses, but it may go some way to explaining why I wasn't "nearly as friendly" as you clearly expected me to be.

You expressed your condolences when I returned late the following day and following a brief conversation, I thought you appreciated my situation and it was good to know that I didn't need to put up a front with you. I tried to engage you in conversation on a number of occasions, but was conscious that you were Skyping friends and family abroad on i-pads and computers, so I wasn't going to disturb you.

Yes, some of the rooms do need refreshing and we are working our way around them, upgrading them as we go. But we can't do them all at once.

I am, however, very disappointed that you think the food not as good. Our chef, who started with us only a few days before you checked in, has represented Wales, won awards as a young chef and, more importantly, been chosen to cook for several members of the royal family, including Her Majesty the Queen! We think that's a pretty good indication of his skills in the kitchen and we are sorry you didn't appreciate the quality of the food presented to you.

You mention that the mattresses need replacing - whilst hard/soft mattresses are clearly a matter of personal taste, it would have been helpful if you had told me when you checked out. We do regularly sleep in our rooms to test the mattresses, amongst other things, and we think the quality is good. The people who left this morning had stayed in your room and I specifically asked them about their mattress. They said the beds were very comfortable and they had slept extremely well. But we will continue to monitor the situation.

Our hot tub is heated to a temperature of 40 degrees which seems to be hot enough for most people. If the wind blows the cover open or it is not replaced after use, the temperature will drop. But again, we've had no other complaints about this.

You may notice that many other reviewers are happy with the facilites and service here so we are assured that we are slowly growing the business in the right way.

Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at the house for 1 night and were welcomed when we arrived by the owner Hugh who was so warm and friendly. We had a fabulous night, we had one of the rooms with a hot tub which was great and the room was gorgeous with a sitting area, tele and coffee/tea making facilities, whirlpool bath and hot tub on outside terrace, we used the pool which was warm and relaxing as we were the only ones using it.
My only regret is that we didnt stay longer but were coming back, most likely in the next few weeks to spend some quality time together in this very specia place :-)

• Stayed: April 2012
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Glad you enjoyed your stay enough to want to return. Don't forget that if you contact me, I can ensure great dinner, bed and breakfast deals. But do try and book in advance as our hot tub rooms do go very quickly!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
Castle Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#18 of 60 in Llandudno
Gwynfryn Bed and Breakfast
Bryn Derwen Guest House

Been to Sychnant Pass Country House? Share your experiences!