This hotel is billed (and priced) as luxurious, but it really does not live up to it.
We received a very nice welcome and the food was really good. The rooms were large and at first glance looked lovely with mostly nice furnishings, but on closer inspection were in a poor state of repair and clean in some places yet very dirty in others.
We had a Hot Tub on our balcony but it looked so filthy we didn't dare use it. There was a whole labyrinth of cobwebs in the bathroom, the curtain poles where hanging off the walls and the fridge looked like it needed to be skipped. The sofa bed was so very uncomfortable too.
The changing rooms for the pool were lovely with nice toiletries, but often no towels. The pool was rather dirty especially the patio doors, the whole place just felt like it needed a good clean.
We had two pre school children with us who behaved impeccably, but I felt that they weren't overly welcome, there was nothing suitable on the menu for them, the meals time was far too late for them and service too slow. We tried going down 15mins earlier than the earliest 7pm seating, and asked for the children's food to come with the starters, yet still the children got nothing to eat till 7.45pm when they would normally be in bed. At breakfast on the last full day we were offered something different for the children to eat at dinner - a pasta dish, we said yes please, a plain pasta bolognaise would be perfect, but they couldn't do that so they served what tasted like pasta in Heinz tomato soup and they still had to wait till after we had our starters to have it. The kids did enjoy it though!
There were some nice touches, I really liked the cheese board and coffee in the lounge during the late evening and the location is beautiful, remote and great for walkers.
I stay in a lot of hotels with work and for holidays and this was the most expensive I've ever stayed in yet certainly nowhere near the quality of other far cheaper hotels.
If you are an older couple looking for a relaxing, quiet, very traditional get away in a beautiful setting with nice food and you can turn a blind eye to the dirt, this would suit. But it really wasn't worth the cost for a young family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our elegant Edwardian country house is set in 3 acres of grounds with leisure facilities which includes swimming pool, sauna, gym and outdoor hot tub. We have charging points for electric cars and ample off-street parking. Situated in the Snowdonia National Park, we are in the heart of the countryside and yet only 1.5 Miles from the historic town of Conwy and less than 15 minutes' drive from the seaside resort of Llandudno (voted top UK seaside resort on Trip Advisor). We are easily accessible and well placed for both business and leisure stays. Our candlelit restaurant is highly recommended and is open 7 nights as week to residents and non-residents alike. Our seasonal menu offers a choice of starters, main courses and desserts and the food is freshly cooked to order, using local ingredients wherever possible. We can offer a great wine list to complement your food. Our location is convenient for Conwy, Llandudno, Bodnant Gardens, Mount Snowdon, Anglesey and we are a very useful stopping off point for those travelling to the Holyhead ferry terminal. Outdoor pursuits of walking, golf, mountain biking are all on our doorstep and just a short drive away, you will find the longest zip-wire in Europe and the only indoor surf resort at Surf Snowdonia - as well as plenty of other outdoor activities to enjoy. Alternatively, you can just curl up with a good book in our comfortable lounge! A warm welcome awaits you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sychnant Pass Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sychnant Pass House Hotel Conwy
- Sychnant Pass Country House Conwy, Wales