“Home from home for Steve & June”

Poppies Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Conwy
Poppies Guest House
Ranked #17 of 22 Conwy B&B and Inns
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Home from home for Steve & June”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My partner and I stayed for three nights and were really impressed with the welcome, service and room.

We took advantage of the evening meal offer and on request were provided with pack lunches each day for a very good price. The menu was varied and well presented quality food.

The room was clean and comfortable and we had pleasant relaxation throughout our stay.

We will certainly be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

just had the worse room I've ever had at a guest house. the room was a twin at the top of the house. we feel we should have been told this on booking as we both have problems climbing stairs. the room was very basic and not very clean just a few tea bags etc. in an old looking basket not even a biscuit no mirror and a poor excuse for window dressing looked like a home made blind ...no curtains to block out the daylight. the bathroom was next to room not en-suite as advertised on inspecting the bathroom and the 2 dark green towels decided not to have a bath or shower as it was not very clean at all. we had booked an evening meal advertised at £17 when booked on line as we did and although it was very nice was not given a choice and not even offered a drink of water with it. breakfast was between 8.30 and 8.45 and again although nice not even fruit, juice or cereal or anything else for that matter was out for you to help yourself. on paying was charged £72 although £70 I paid as she didn't have any change but it should have been £67. Sam herself is a very nice person but really needs to brush up on how to run a proper guest house if she want ANYONE to return cause I certainly wouldn't.

Room Tip: make sure you know EXACTLY what you are getting and what price you are paying before booking
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank agnes m
leamington spa
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I'm not 1 for doin this sort of thing, but felt Obliged to after reading a couple of LESS than complimentary reviews about 'Poppies'. It looked as if the people in question where sat next to each other writing them ! And Surprise ! cao821 seems to enjoy bringing places down, and perhaps even ruining reputations based on Personal opinion. How Sad these Peoples lives must be. I'm the type of person who'd prefer to sort out any problems at the time, And not doin it weeks later for some kind of sick pleasure. I think it's known as being A MAN. I've written that, because I've stayed at Poppies a few years ago and recently, And for £25, You can't go wrong :-) 'Sam' and Girls are Lovely people, and Henry the Springer is a One-off ! Never a problem with food, and was even offered a Complimentary glass of wine with 1 meal. just wish it had been with Dinner and not Breakfast tho :-) (Joke !) I've stayed in 2 rooms on 1st floor only, so can't comment on the (I've got Asthma) 2nd floor. The rooms and beds where VERY comfortable. Good Luck for the future Sam, I hope a couple of "SAD" reviewers didn't effect you. I'll be back on business around Mid-November. Regards, Mr G. Marydoll. P.S. Don't people with 'Allergies' Normally forewarn when booking ??? Can't be THAT serious a problem. . .

Room Tip: Blue room on 1st floor is Intimate.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Gary M
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Wow, that was harsh for a one night stay. My wife and i have stayed at poppies guest house this yearand returning in october. We had a lovely room with tea, coffee and buscuits replenished every day. Breakfast was plentifull if notoo much. We had evening meal which was home cooked, very nice. Fire regs were in the walk in wardrobe.
Mr and Mrs Alan Stowbridge, Stockport.

1 Thank hollyyasar
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed for one night at poppies, B&B and evening meal. When I arrived with my husband we were told it the meal was lasagne, my husband has an allergy to cheese, we felt very awkward and rather embarassed. We feel it would have been more appropriate to have been asked given a choice when booking. Our room was a twin room at the top of the house. The beds were creaky although comfortable, next to the bedroom was a large bathroom with w.c. bath and shower over the bath. There was limited coffee/tea bags placed in a dirty basket. Due to the room being at the top of the house we noticed that there was no fire extinguisher or fire regulations.
At Breakfast we were offered orange juice or cereal, one thin piece of toast each. A small tea pot for three which resulted in half a small cup of tea. In other guest houses of which we have stayed in Llandudno we have always been given juice and cereal and more toast with preserves. Very disappointed and we certainly will not be returning.

1 Thank CAO821
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed one night myself and my husband in a double room and my sister and her husband in a twin room.
The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable.We stayed in room 2 a double room, the shower and washbasin was in the bedroom and the toilet was in another room, I dont think it is very safe to have a shower in the bedroom when in the bedroom was a TV and kettle etc. There was not one set of fire regs anywhere in the B&B and there should have been on room doors(by law), no extinguishers on walls or floors only one smoke alarm & not a single fire door.
There was limited tea and coffee in a dirty basket and no biscuits, towels were provided but no toiletries.No welcome pack.
Breakfast was a choice of fruit juice OR cornflakes OR muesli OR shredded wheat, in other establishments I have stayed at in LLandudno you can have both juice and cereal and can help yourself but not here, full welsh breakfast was good, could have done with more toast only one slice of toast each for the four of us, only butter no jam or marmalade again in other establishments offered more toast and jam provided. One of us wanted coffee and three of us wanted tea, a big coffee jug provided and a small teapot so half a cup of tea for the three of us.
We had evening meal and booked this in advance, we were not given a choice, on arrival told we were having lasagne, felt terribly embarrassed when one of the group could not eat it due to cheese allergy, it left us feeling awkward, the landlady did provide another meal, the starter was homemade soup very tasty and the homemade lasagne was lovely, the dessert was chocolate fudge pudding and again we felt awkward as two of us were diabetic, I think a little advice for Sam for the future would be to check with the guests the meal you are going to provide as there is no choice of meal, to say what you plan on providing to make sure everyone is ok with what you are cooking.
Sam the landlady is lovely and friendly and very welcoming and Henry the dog is lovely and friendly.
The beds were comfy but it was very noisy, I could here two girls talking in the other room until 1am in the morning, but when it did go quite after 1am i did manage to get some sleep!
The location is nice in a quiet residential area with plenty of on road parking.
Overall it was ok to stay, £50 for the room and £17.50 for evening meal for two, but I have stayed in other accommodation in LLandudno and I dont think I will stay at Poppies again as I have had much better experiences elsewhere.

Room Tip: the twin room at the top had its own very big bathroom
2 Thank SLMON2011
Reviewed 23 July 2011

One night stay at poppies b n b llandudno. Nice twin room at top of house. Big bathroom next door. House was Not Very quiet with kids running around slammimg doors and while i was resting in bed someone knocked i said hello someone entered while i was in bed resting as have ME so Not impressed n had to make my own do Not disturb sign for door as husband was out n had keys!!! Hoping it gets quieter for guests ....Not Very impressed but clean n comfy setting. Basic tea n coffee facilities no buscuits . No information pack no smoke detectors Or fire extinguishers. Now got Very loud music playing n Trying to sleep as disabled n suffer from ME n fibromyalgia. Am Not impressed. Sorry just being honest as travel alot. mrs h from southport. Very noisy! I understand is family home but am a paying guests no respect.

• Stayed July 2011