“Wish I could have stayed longer!”

Horseshoe Pass Holiday Lets
“Wish I could have stayed longer!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I do not normally leave reviews as I am a businessman who spends most of his working days in hotels, B&Bs and holiday lettings and simply don't have the time to write reviews of all of them. However, I do read the reviews on Trip Advisor before making a reservation.

I simply cannot believe the review I have just read by Jo C on the House and I feel compelled to speak up in their defense.

My colleagues and I were also guests in this property around the same time. I have to say that the accommodation did not disappoint us in any way. The place was spotless and the owner and staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming. The gardens and grounds were immaculate. I only wish we had more time to enjoy the stunning views from there.

I have no idea what was behind the last review but it certainly did not accurately reflect the accommodation that we stayed in! Maybe he was mixing it up with another place? It certainly did not look run down in any way to me and never saw any beat up old vehicles or a single hippy! The photos on the websites don't do justice to the place.

I was so delighted with our stay that I have now reserved again for my family holiday and booked two adjacent properties.

I wish the owners success with their business in the future. They certainly deserve it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank robinlarge
eternaltraveller69, Owner at Horseshoe Pass Holiday Lets, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words and review of our accommodation. It is always frustrating when we are the victims of a spite review such as the last one. We try our hardest to get things right and to put things right as quickly as possible when there are issues.
I'm pleased that you enjoyed the gardens and the surroundings. They are the high point of a stay with us and we try hard to maintain them to a high standard.
I'm sure you and your family will find time to enjoy them when you return for your holiday.
I look forward to meeting you all soon.
Cheers, Phil.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

There are 5 of us travelling around the UK, and we arrived at "the House" to find a filthy, smelly and completely unacceptable state, to the extent we just could not stay there. It was disgusting! There were shards of broken glass on the kitchen bench top and microwave, the white towels (the size of hand towels) were brown, the safety of the shower room/laundry is questionable . The photos on Trip Advisor are obviously out of date, as the property now looks like a tenanted commune, with a beat up old van and motor bike.

Room Tip: Do not stay there!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jo C
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! If you must write a "Spite Review" at least make is sound genuine!
I'm sorry that you were charged for one night but you only cancelled on the day of your arrival - two and a half hours BEFORE you even saw the place! You were fully aware of the terms and conditions of a late cancellation before you booked. Oh well, at least we know that your crystal ball in clean and shiny as you were able to see all of the things you complained about (which you say caused you to cancel) hours before you even arrived here!

Now let's tell the truth......

You found a more convenient place to stay earlier in the day so decided to cancel with us. After unsuccessfully trying to get your deposit back you decided to come up to the property to find some kind of excuses to get out of paying for one night. As you were now no longer a booked guest, you entered the property without authorisation, using the key-code that you still had in order to try to find fault.
Well, if that is the best you can do (brown towels, a piece of glass on top of a microwave on a shelf that you probably had to stand on to find, new plumbing that is yet to be boxed in and the faint smell of a wood-burner) then I consider this to be an endorsement to the standard to which we present our properties!
You then went through every room and peeled back the bedding on every bed, pulled furniture out and opened every cupboard door in search of something to complain about. It took us almost two hours to re-prepare it for the next guests. Thank you.
I'm not sure what the other guests will think when they learn your opinions of their vehicles!

Now let's have a look at the scores that you left us....

Value - 1 - You were paying £140 per night for accommodation for 8 people in peak season (£17.50 per night each.)

Rooms - 1 - You only entered them briefly to move the furniture and disturb the beds.

Cleanliness - 1 - Was the faint smell of wood-smoke really that bad?

Service - 1 - How would you know? You cancelled two-and-a-half hours before you arrived then came here after you know that the office was closed for the evening!

Location - ? - Oh, you forgot to mention that one.

It is such a pity that the excellent review service that this site offers is blighted by people using it for revenge or as a negotiating tool to try to get discounts. By far, the majority of reviews on here are genuine (good and bad) and I'm pleased to say that most people can tell the difference.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels here in the UK and that you kept polishing that crystal ball of yours. You never know when you may need it again!
Cheers, Phil.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

l stayed recently in one of the Cottages,(probably my 5th time) and l as usual, l couldnt fault anything ! l'm very fussy, and dont miss anything, so when l read the last report, l had to respond in support of these delightful, great value tasteful Cottages.
l have recommended soo many friends to book here, and they all agree with me - ''Perfect '' ! l took my doggy (you cant go to Llangollen with all those fab walks, and not take your dog) l took a cover to put on the futon (which was 100% clean) which l always do when l take Nora with me. Domestic Oven gloves, you might not know, are not allowed in letting Kitchens..yep, l agree, ridiculous Health and Safety rules, but there you are. (Actually, it was a food demonstrator at Costco that gave me that nugget of information!) So, bravo to the owner of the Cottages that has helped save our lives ! Tea towels, now, l had quite a sweat on..looking all over the kitchen for those..and there they were, the little darlings neatly folded up in a drawer. l dont know what would have happened if l hadnt opened the said drawer - Starved to death no doubt !
l too saw a pair of ladders ,... but there was a guy (Phil the owner, l think) half way up, cleaning windows, ready for a large group arriving the next day. l saw no ''rotting furniture'', as you describe, but as me and Nora were leaving, l did notice a John Lewis Van delivering a new bed...Nothing but the best eh ? Me and Nora have booked again, and cant wait !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Carol H
Thank you for your supportive review. It's always nice when regular guests go to the trouble to leave more reviews. As I'm sure you are aware, we have many regular visitors who consider our cottages to be their "Holiday Home in Wales" and visit up to half a dozen times per year. In fact they make up over 70% of our bookings through the off-season
Unfortunately, we do get the occasional guest who is somehow disappointed and chooses to take out their grievances on review sites such as these instead of giving us a chance to put things right. It is, of course, is their right to do so but it distorts the real overall view of the majority of our guests, and undermines what Tripadvisor is all about.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay again and I look forward to your next visit. I'll try to get the ladders put away sooner for next time!

Phil.
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Arrived on monday afternoon to stay at the chalet. We walked in and were immediately dissapointed with the accomodation. The bathroom is tiny, the kitchen/living room/dining room was very cramped and not clean, we found cob webs and dust everywhere and the futon had dog hairs on it. The bedroom was small and looked unwelcoming, and the view out of the french doors was blocked by an old rusty motorbike. We spoke to phil the owner who was very helpful and offered to move us to the annex. It was bigger but the standards of cleanliness were not any better. Its totally outdated and needs a revamp. The kitchen was lacking basics such as oven gloves and tea towels. The gardens outside were lovely and the views were amazing, but spoilt by old ladders left out in the front and old rotting furniture. We were to stay two nights but the final straw was on the second night when going to get into bed and stubbing my toe on a breeze block which was supporting the bed up. Me and my partner decided to leave in the early hours of the morning rather than stay in a bed which was highly uncomfortable. This is not exaggerated as we paid £220 to stay two nights and ended staying one. Expected better standards due to this price.

8 Thank Jordan o

Phil.
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Annexe and had a lovely short break there. We found it very spacious for a family of four and the facilities were great. We were left without lighting on our first night after a power cut but it didn't really inconvenience us and the next morning Phil made sure that the power was restored. The views over the hills from the Annexe are beautiful in any weather and there is a beautiful tranquilly there which is hard to find elsewhere. We can't recommend it highly enough. After reading some of the negative reviews on here I do wonder why some people bother leaving their homes to go anywhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Justin R
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Where do I start? Noisy from adjoining units, broken skirting boards, holes in walls, maintained generally, mouldy shower, pee stained bathroom carpet, the world's most infinity beds with springs in your back or up your bum, wafer thin duvets, uncontrollable heating so unit stifling or polar. Balcony and outdoor furniture collapsing and rusty bar b q not to mention delapidated almost vertical drive with rusty Broken down abandoned van half way up making turning near impossible. You can tell this 'snug' was once as beautiful as the amazing scenery at horse shoe pass but it's been left to rack and ruin. A massive shame as awful room put dampened on what would have been a great weekend in north Wales when Wasn't in the room !!!! No sign of any staff any where and no security or meet or greet. Basics provided were cheap and nasty and I dare say used !!

Room Tip: Unless your a hobbit and its fixed up first avoid the snug at all costs
10 Thank mrnmrs2013
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My wife and I have recently returned from a 2 night break at the Chalet. I don't think we will ever return however. In fact it was borderline whether we stayed, or turned around and came home!On the plus side, the location is outstanding and had the weather been good, the views from the balcony to Llangollen would have been stunning. However, what you don't realise until you're there is that the Chalet also overlooks the communal car park, so the immediate view was over the 8 or so cars block parked in front of the accommodation. This is a bit naughty as in the details there is a photo of the Chalet which clearly implies that it looks out over a garden area. It appears that the photo was taken from the other side of a hedge, so the car park is completely removed from view. My wife was extremely disappointed when we arrived to find this and felt she had been conned. And talking of photo's, there seems to be some artistic license going on elsewhere. The image of the living area appears to have had a number of furniture items removed for the photo to create the illusion of spaciousness. Well believe me the Chalet does not do spacious. The tiny living/dining/kitchen area is cramped and not helped by the wood burning stove - the base it sits on takes up a significant amount of floor area contributing to the lack of space. The fact the wood burner is far too large and powerful for the size of the room renders it less than useful as this tiny building is adequately heated by the electric heaters provided. We didn't use the kitchen appliances so can't comment, but they looked fairly new and to a good standard. However, the shower room is worthy of comment. At the top of a very steep staircase, there are two doors - one to the living/dining/kitchen the other to the shower. The shower room is so tiny it has folding doors to gain access. Once inside, there is a toilet, hand basin, shower and barely room to move! The units look quite new and in good condition. The problem is, were you to use the shower, there is no room to dry off, it really is that small! So you need to dry off either in the living room or bedroom, which we felt just wasn't good enough. We paid £185.00 for 2 nights accommodation. We understand the property had recently been refurbished, but it still seemed grubby in places and the tiny bedrooms were ok but not great. This property trades heavily on it's location and the views and walks around this beautiful part of Wales. On a sunny day, when you could enjoy the balcony's views over the car park to the hills beyond, I could forgive it much, but Wales is green for a reason and over a wet weekend, it's a very different story. Even the 20% discount offered when we checked out for booking direct and not through an agency couldn't tempt me back. However, if you do go, we can recommend the Britannia pub at the bottom of the hill. Lovely food, very friendly owners and a very warm welcome on a cold wet day!

7 Thank Philip A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangollen
The Hand Hotel
#13 of 26 in Llangollen
Penvale Lake Lodges
Penvale Lake Lodges
#3 of 8 in Llangollen

Been to Horseshoe Pass Holiday Lets? Share your experiences!