“My second home !”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
mansfield notts
“My second home !”
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

Just returned from my fourth stay this year at this beautiful hotel this hotel just gets better in every way the room we was given ( room38) was faultless lovely comfortable bed big fluffy quilt ( we just didnt want to get up in the morning ! but glad we did or we would have missed the excellent breakfast that the bryn howel never fails to please us with nearly every cereal you can think of all to help yourself a good selection of fresh fruits and yoghurts and a hot buffet with all the items you could possibly want and various breakfast juices and a very nice waiter or waitress that will bring you a rack of toast and as much pots of tea or coffee as you can drink ! seen many new faces this time since my last visit ( only about month ago) nice to see our old friends patrick and the lovely tracy on reception nothing is to much trouble for this pair they are genuinly lovely people and a credit to the hotel ! i stay at this hotel as its near to my fathers home but it is a real treat for me and my family to stay here as our base i didnt think it could get any better but it has and i can hardly wait for my next visit in the not to distant future ! love and best wishes to you all from the korkuts ( mansfield )

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank pinkhonda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The hotel is located in a beautiful location next to the canal in Llangollen valley. The hotel itself is nicely decorated in the public areas and the bedrooms are clean and well maintained and serviced but in need of updating (particularly the TV, which was tiny). We ate breakfast in the hotel - good food and friendly but not extremely attentive service. We also ate dinner in the restaurant which was very good quality. The hotel also has a bar with a good selection of drinks. The staff was generally very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Anonymouse11
Chirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I live locally to the hotel and have visited often over the years. In a previous employment I organised and attended several workshops there and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Over recent years the hotel has become a favourite venue for eating in the bar, with first class service especially from Patrick. Up until the recent acquisition by Eamonn Canavan, the meals could be a bit 'hit or miss' on quality, however now, the high quality of the meals is consistent.

This beautiful old hotel, with a wonderful warm ambiance, is being treated to a number of improvements by the new owner, both on the interior and exterior - making a first class hotel, even better.

So locals, visitors, boaters - pay the Bryn Howel a visit, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I always stayed in the old part of the hotel when I attended on work functions, the rooms have lots...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AngelaWB
proudly Welsh
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The Welsh Bridge Union have staged their Swiss Teams Congress for the last three years at the Bryn Howel. The new owner, Mr Canavan, greeted us warmly and sincerely; the staff led by David and Patrick were very attentive and really contributed to the success of the event. The chef and his kitchen brigade fed the 150 participants good food in a timely manner. My wife and I occupied a pleasant, clean and comfortable bedroom. Dinner in the restaurant at night was a real treat and of superb quality with a high level of service.
The hotel inside and out is being refurbished and I was shown one of the completed bedrooms which had been tastefully updated. The owner is bringing in antiques and paintings to enhance this historic building. His personal collection of clocks already on display are worth seeing.
What more can I say other than to try it for yourself and ignore the one bad review (Were they actually seeking a drink or looking for reasons to complain?)
The Welsh Bridge Union have booked again for next year and already have three confirmed entries for the Congress.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank takethefinesse
mansfield notts
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

returned 5 days ago from my 3 rd break this year at the bryn howel ( as i use this as a base for seeing my father who lives nearby ) enjoyed a 2 nite stay with my son. The hotel has recently become under new ownership we had the pleasure of meeting this fine gentleman who took the time to talk to us and gave us a complimentary drink whilst enjoying the open fire ! it was lovely to see my old friend patrick who served our delucious meal in the bar ! This man is a credit to this hotel ! but all the staff were very friendly without being intrusive i will keep going back and have even recommended to friends here in nottinghamshire ! the new owner has already started to make some improvements ( not that it really needs any !) see you all soon !!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank pinkhonda
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Came here for a 2 night break with my mother as we both have been busy working and could do with the break also to see my grandad who lives at ruabon.it was my first stay here and my mums 3rd this year!
As you drive down to the bryn howell you can see the valleys and the bryn howell itself.if your looking for a modern hotel then this isn't the one for you,me myself I prefer this style of hotel and being in the countryside and mountainside why would you want modern!
If your looking for top notch food(the lamb meal on the menu was amazing!!)and good alcohol This is the place to come! The beds are comfy and the bathrooms big.

The only couple of things I could say that are negative is a) there was no fridge and b) they could maybe update the old school little teles to flatscreen LCD televisions

• Stayed November 2012
Wales
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

I recently attended a wedding at Bryn Howel. The location is superb, a great setting, the service was either good or very good and the wedding breakfast excellent. Given the beautiful surroundings a little investment in modernising the hotel could go a long way. The rooms are very dated, though spotlessly clean. If you can get a good rate worth a visit, and if the owners invest it could be lovely

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangollen
White Waters Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn
The Mulberry Inn
The Mulberry Inn
#1 of 26 in Llangollen

Been to Bryn Howel Hotel? Share your experiences!