“Great Location”
Review of Bryn Howel Hotel

Bryn Howel Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked for just one night, after a days whitewater kayaking. Lovely setting, friendly staff and good breakfast. However, when they sat breakfast until 09:30 it would be nice to still feel welcome at 09:00! No table set and dining room in need of a tidy-up. Food however was really good. Bar is set in a lovely room and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Newer block rooms are warm, but do not have best views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Bryn Howel Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed one night following a family get together a few miles away. Location is wonderful, staff friendly and approachable, food good especially the breakfast. A few things I would like to point out though is that our bedroom was in the modern block and although the bed and towels were good (I was surprised that the mattress had no protectors on), the decor in the bathroom needs addressing, there was no remote control for the tv and the furniture a little tired. Having said all that, if it arises we find ourselves back in this area we would book again. Well done the owners for having taken on what must have been, and still is to some extent , a hugh task to get this hotel to a good standard.

Room Tip: Possibly ask if the bedroom has been refurbished
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine P
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here very recently with a group of friends. For the price we paid, the stay was excellent with a good breakfast each day and a great choice of evening meal menu each night all well cooked. The staff were very attentive as well. I stayed in a room in the "new" wing which was clean and had a great shower and views over the gardens down to the canal. Good towels were replaced as required by me. Just one small moan - too little shampoo etc was supplied and never replaced!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Sue and Stan heading for Llangollen, just beyond Trevor travelling from the Wirral, little lane on the left,100 yards. Don't be put off by the long tree-lined drive or the imposing building, after all we were only day trippers!

We sat under a parasol in the rear garden (80 plus) and had lunch served from 12pm till 3pm. Tasty fresh veg, more than adequate portions all served with a smile and the the river was nearby though we didn't wander over.

Spectacular views, lovely meals, sensibly priced and served by Ian who was most attentive. And, of course, no parking problems.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stanlandsberg
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in May. The hotel was lovely, olde world, real character with beautiful views of the canal and surrounding scenery. The staff couldn't be more helpful, polite and friendly. We loved our stay and will definitely head there again. The only negative was frozen chips with my perfect steak! The bed was so big and comfortable; the towels massive and soft!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the Llangollen canal, stunning!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bryn-Howel-Hotel, Owner at Bryn Howel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear sarahdean56
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to post your review of Bryn Howel Hotel.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us,
The views from Bryn Howel Hotel are outstanding, its amazing all year round. House keeping are delighted you enjoyed your room and of course our towels, I always find It’s a nice surprise to find big large towels.
Please accept Chefs apologies, You are absolutely right the chips were not our usual fresh, tick and crisp standard, alas there is so substitute for the real thing. This was due to a delivery issue.

All my very best to you and your family

S. A. Canavan
Director

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Sorry but this hotel needs to spend some money modernising their rooms and employing more staff. We waited 35 minutes at reception despite ringing bell and phoning from our mobile phone. Sadly the wait was not worth it.
Think that is enough said.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gaynor L
Bryn-Howel-Hotel, Owner at Bryn Howel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Stephen
As the owner of Bryn Howel Hotel I am very apprehensive when someone posts a poor review. Mainly because I know my team very well. And to read a review such as yours its difficult to imagine you are reviewing Bryn Howel Hotel.
Although, from your review it seems clear that neither you nor your partner were satisfied with any part of Bryn Howel Hotel. As you mentioned Bryn Howel was once a fine hotel which suggest the content of the review to follow.
My Company purchased Bryn Howel Hotel over a year ago after it was in administration for some years, it was exceedingly run down in every area, To say it needed money spent on it is an understatement, But on the same note there has been large investment disbursed on every area, from the hallways and bedrooms having new carpets new beds in all 35 bedrooms, all new bedding, 20 rooms have been re-walled and all have been painted, the lounge bar has had a complete overhaul from top to toe, the reception area has had new sofas, carpets, and the restaurant and function room have had a total makeover. Yes Bryn Howel Is an old building and that’s what I fell in love with, I do not intend to change the old look in fact I have worked hard to keep the building as much to the old style as it was intended to be, perhaps it’s not to everyone’s taste, undoubtedly not, But at the same time I feel your review is a little unfair. My staff have worked very hard indeed to bring the standards up and I am delighted with what we have managed thus far.
Perhaps on reflection on posting reviews you might give a moment’s thought to how your review might have an emotional impact on the staff that work within, to have a dig at me is fine or to have a dig at the owner is one thing, My reason for saying this is your review has had a major impact on the moral of the whole team, at a time when everyone is working so hard.

I do wish you and your partner all the very best,
life is much to short to hold bad feeling within.

Mr Canavan
Managing Director

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was a veery beautiful hotel in the 80' s and by the looks of it now that the last time it had any money spent on it.
It needs completely refurbishing and if the present owners do not have the money they should put it on the market and give someone else the opportunity.
We had booked for one night but once we saw the allocated room and the upgraded one that was subsequently offered, we were out of there. We really hope the hotel is restored to its former glory, fantastic location

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank stephenlyth

Dear Stephen

I do wish you and your partner all the very best,
life is much to short to hold bad feeling within.

Mr Canavan