“Thank you!”
Review of Chainbridge Hotel

Chainbridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed 30 May 2013

On Tuesday I attended a wedding at the Chainbridge. It was absolutely superb, and certainly one of the best weddings I've ever been to.

The reasons for this are plentiful. The location and scenery around the hotel is truly breathtaking. Despite the rain, all the guests were bowled over by the beautiful scenery and the dramatic way in which the hotel sits right above such a magnificent river.

This view alone is worth making the trip to the Chainbridge however the way in which the staff managed (or coped!) with such a large wedding party was fantastic.

Once we returned from the service we were greeted by members of staff delivering canapes and offering champagne. With around 80 people to get through they did this most efficiently and with a smile on their faces. We were hosted in a beaufiful reception area, with the fantastic views on one side and a magnificent old fireplace on the other.

Later, we were sent to the function room for the main meal. I understand the function room has recently been renovated. They have done an incredible job. I must say it is a spectacular space, and absolutely perfect for a wedding. The floor-to-ceiling windows on one side of the room meant that the views of the river were clear and unspoilt. Though there were 80 or so guests the room was large enough to accommodate them all easily, with mirrors making the room seem very light. There is a beautiful old bar situated in the corner of the room meaning drinks were easily accessible. Even great attention had been paid to the room's ceiling. There was some kind of fibre optic lights system built in which meant throughout dinner and dancing it appeared the stars were twinkling above our heads!

During the wedding lunch the staff again performed very well - the food was brought out swiftly and efficiently. The food was also excellent. I commend the chef for producing food of such quality for such a large number of guests.

Later on in the night guests spilled out all along the hotel, meaning the youngsters could get along with the disco and the more refined members of the party could tuck away in quiet corners and have chats in peace and quiet.

I was one of the last ones standing - remarkable considering how well the delicious Welsh Ale they had on sale was slipping down. At this late hour, some wedding guests realised they had neglected to book taxis back to their hotel in the nearby town. Rather than viewing this as a problem, the barman and receptionist very kindly hopped in their respective cars and ferried people away with no problem.

The next day I emerged with a sore head and only just made it to breakfast in time. However I was so glad I did - they delicious fry up I had was just what the doctor ordered.

All in all, I would like to say a big congratulations to the owners and staff of the hotel. I had a fantastic stay and I will certainly be recommending it to friends and to any people I know looking for a reliable yet unique wedding location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KingEric1
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Thank you for your incredibly generous and positive review. We were delighted with how the wedding went, and it was a pleasure to host such a pleasant group, and have so many kind comments from guests about the hotel.

You're right that the hotel's Function Room has recently been revamped, and the new decor, bar and the fibre optic ceiling are all new elements that we hope will make The Chainbridge an even more attractive venue for functions.

All of the staff worked incredibly hard to ensure the wedding went well, and we were very proud of the effort made by all of them, and they certainly enjoyed serving the lovely bride and groom and their many guests.

The location and views at The Chainbridge are unique, and we hope that many others will be coming to our hotel to enjoy our hospitality and that we will see many more celebrations here over the coming years.

Thank you again for such a great review.

There are newer reviews for Chainbridge Hotel

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stopped off for an exploratory lunch with my daughter. Much care and money has obviously been spent here and the owner.is working very hard to crate a hotel that justifies the wonderful setting. But (sorry, there's always a but) his staff need to know that there's more to hospitality than just robotically serving food.

We were shown the rooms by a very polite lady who did her best "Sorry, We're on the wrong floor, I don't normally work Sundays" Eh? No complaints there, but our meals were dumped on our table with no smile, no condiments, no interest by someone who was obviously "doing her job".. Empty plates were left uncollected for too long, we were'nt asked if we enjoyed our meal or wanted another drink.

We spotted the owner who was attentive and polite; we just hope that he can soon infuse his staff with his own spirit of vocation, thus justifying the prices of what can be an outstanding hotel. Worth another visit by us.

1  Thank mike s
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I appreciate your feedback, and we always strive to improve on everything we do, so we'll be sure to discuss this and address the points you raise.

I'm glad that you appreciate the hotel's wonderful location, and the refurbishment work, and I assure you we will work tirelessly to ensure that we make the hotel as good as we possibly can, in every respect.

I look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stopped at the Chainbridge Hotel a few weeks back, after a walk along the canal. We only live down the road and thought we'd have a look at the renovations and see if if the food had improved since the new owners have taken control. We rushed along the canal to get there before the kitchen closed at 3pm, we arrived at 2.45pm, . We waited at the bar whilst the bar lady served someone else. She was having difficulty with the coffee machine and spent a considerable amount of time sorting it. A blonde lady came along and served us at exactly 3pm, and we started to order food, only to be told, very abruptly, that the kitchen closed at 3! We mentioned that we had been waiting to be served since 2.45pm, but she didn't even acknowledge it. So we ordered a few drinks and crisps, and left hungry.

We were a group of three adults and three children and would have spent a fair bit of money. I understand that there are set kitchen hours, but surely under the circumstances it would have made financial sense, and been a nice gesture for the kitchen to have served us food. Especially as we waited patiently for so long! I wouldn't say that the lady who served us was rude, but she was certainly abrupt, and didn't apologise for the delay at all.

The new menu looked really good and we were excited about trying it. Even though I found the experience a bit off-putting, I'll probably try again, as they're clearly making an effort to make changes. The building was looking much better.

2  Thank JR27_13
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

I'm very sorry to receive your review and learn that you weren't able to have lunch when you visited us. It's very rare indeed that guests should wait 15 minutes at the bar to be served, and certainly we would have been pleased to serve you lunch if we could. I'll look into it, as we don't have a blonde lady working here we'll try and get to the bottom of it. We served a few guests yesterday - despite the kitchen being closed - so it's certainly something we do if we can!

I'm glad that you like the look of the new menu, and that the refurbishment we have brought in meets your approval. I do hope that you return and give us a try.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We booked a long weekend away. What a lovely place to stay. Great polite and very helpful Staff, Super Food and a Stunning Location, overlooking the River. What a great find. We will be back. This is the place to beat.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SteveB02
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thank you for your very generous and kind review. We're very pleased that you found the hotel so enjoyable, and that the friendly staff, good food and stunning location made for a successful trip away in Wales. Such comments are exceedingly pleasing, and the staff are very grateful for such praise!

We hope to welcome you back to The Chainbridge in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We booked this for a birthday treat for my mother in law and we were thrilled from start to finish The river view rooms are perfect and I can imagine sitting on the balcony in the sunshine. ...even in the rain the atmosphere with the river running by is amazing. The rooms are clean and newly refurbished . The bar is lovely with updates continuing and to top it all the restaurant has an amazing river view and the food was excellant Then to top it all you can watch the steam train go by. The staff were friendly and more than obliging and I would highly recommend staying. A gem not to be missed.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank A A
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for such a positive and pleasing review. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Chainbridge so much, and that it was a successful birthday for your mother in law. The views and location, as you say, are second to none, and it's very good to hear that the rooms, balconies, bar and restaurant all met your expectations and made for a great stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and thanks again.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

After reading some of the reviews we were cautious about booking. So glad we did what an amazing place, the location is breathtaking. We booked a family room which was brilliant value for money and the main room came with an amazing balcony overlooking the river.
The food was lovely and all the staff made us feel very welcome and the children too. Will be coming back at the end of the month!

1  Thank Jacqueline P
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for your great review. We're thrilled that you and all of the family enjoyed the hotel and had a wonderful weekend in Wales. I'm delighted that you and the children were made to feel welcome by the staff, and that you appreciated the breathtaking location of the hotel.

Very much looking forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks time.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel is in a stunning location and attracts a lot of non-residents to the bar and restaurant. However if it is going to make the most of its potential, it must address small issues which make the difference between a guest returning or going elsewhere.
There is little or no mobile phone signal at the hotel which might be a boon to some or disasterous for those needing to keep in touch with family or work. Free wifi is restricted to the reception & bar area. I was told this will be extended to the bedrooms but this is not a priority. TV reception in my room was poor on BBC-1 & other channels were non-existent or limited. The window in my room didn't open meaning the only night-time ventilation was the patio door - a security risk. The fire door in the corridor outside my room slammed repeatedly each time a guest opened or closed it. Highly irritating. My evening meal had issues about which I complained to the owner. Parts of the meal I expected, and which were on the menu, were not supplied.
Renovations are underway at the hotel but to be an excellent hotel and to charge the prices which were charged, these issues must be addressed. Until they are I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying extra to get a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Chrissie J
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Madam

The hotel is indeed in a stunning location and over the Bank Holiday weekend when you stayed we did have lots of non-residents enjoying the sun and eating in our bar and restaurant.

I'm glad to respond to a couple of the issues you mention, as discussed with you on your departure.

The mobile signal in this part of Wales is not great, something I believe the networks are working on to try and improve, however this is really out of our hands, and is the case in town as well as in our more rural location. As you say, in due course we will install WIFI in the rooms, but the majority of guests are happy to sit in the bar and reception to check emails, look up things to do etc.

I did check your television as soon as you departed, the picture on BBC1 was not perfect, I accept, but was not fuzzy, the other channels in your room were all working, with the perfect picture - that included BBC2, ITV (when I checked it they were showing a rather gripping episode of Jeremy Kyle), Channel 4, Sky News and a movie channel.

I understand your disappointment at not receiving a Yorkshire Pudding with your roast lamb, we have only just started providing Yorkies with all of our roasts - not just beef, as per tradition - and the chefs forgot to add it to your plate. They were apologetic, as was I, and ensured that your dessert was presented beautifully in an attempt to dampen the disappointment caused by the missing Yorkshire Pud.

As mentioned to you, I will look into the fire door - fire regulations insist on certain specifications of door closures to protect guest's safety - but nobody has mentioned this in the past so I'll be sure to check that the door is operating correctly.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel's stunning location, and many other elements of your stay, and as discussed with you in Reception, we are making every effort to improve the hotel and we welcome feedback that will help us do that.