“A Warm Welsh Welcome”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Manchester
“A Warm Welsh Welcome”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my friend for one night We had a lovely comfortable twin room. Breakfast was delicious with everything prepared freshly for us I would not hesitate to recommend The Hand Hotel to family and friends

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Blondebombsite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The room looked comfortable and inviting enough, but closer inspection revealed this to not be the case. Bathroom electrics wrapped in insulating tape was a potential killer. The bed was awfully hard and the room was cold. Food in the restaurant was deplorably bad. There is nothing complimentary which I can say!

Room Tip: Go stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Lindsay101

Travellers are raving about these Llangollen hotels

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family and I have been staying at 'The Hand' on a regular basis over the last four years. To be honest, for value, service, cleanliness and general atmosphere the 'hand' cannot be beaten in Llangollen. The rooms are always clean, the staff totally professional and yet friendly. The local knowledge of the reception staff is second to non; but more importantly they have TIME for the person at the desk or table. Nothing is rushed. If you need a totally relaxing and friendly hotel, then choose 'The Hand'
I also believe that both the Rotary Club and the Probus Clubs of Llangollen both meet and eat there, so that speaks for itself

Room Tip: Rely on the staff, explain your needs and if possible they will be met
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank John L
england
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We did not stay here but did go in for a drink and lunch the food was excellent the staff very friendly, service was great and it was great value for money. There is a large menu with plenty of choice and all freshly made, I would consider staying here in the future if we take a trip to llangollen.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank juemar
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

my partner and i have just returned from a lovely weekend at the Hand Hotel. We decided to to spend a little time away from the hustle and bustle of city centre's and stag and hen do's!!! Llangollen seemed ideal. After reading reviews and considering price, we opted for the hand, the reviews were a bit of a mixed bag, but we decided to go for it. Glad we did, whilst the building is old, and showing signs of its age it only added to charm of the place . Staff at arrival could not do enough,bedroom clean, and breakfast excellent.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank biggiraffe27
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Me and my partner arrived at The Hand Hotel in Llangollen on a saturday afternoon last month. We booked a week before arriving. I took the previous poor reviews as a pinch of salt as I do love hotels steeped in history and full of charactor. I don't mind out of date decor as long as it's clean! But I regret it now so much!
The so called "80 available car parking spaces" carpark was full and there was other cars blocking people in! We parked along side the garages. My boyfriend said that when there's a space available he'll move the car and which he did. But it still wasn't a good first impression.
There was a black door mat wedged between the reception door?! The reception was a bit drap and dull with finger prints on the windows. We had to wait around 10 minutes for a member of staff to turn up. He looked rushed and rather stressed as he was dealing with the bar too. We were given our key and pointed to our room. But the signs were helpful.
We got to our room and it was cold and smelt rather musky. There was stained carpets, stained bed covers, no shampoo or soap ect, curtain partly hanging off, peeling wall paper, shower like a drip which took a while to heat up, stained tea cups and the heating was just awful! The electic heater did eventually heat up but gave off an awful burning smell! I was rather scared to leave it on! So we had a cold room for the night! As I've previously stated I can handle old, out of date decor but when it's not clean it's a different story.
Coming from the carpark and the hotel it seemed rather full so I thought it would be fully booked, so I didn't even ask to be moved. And I didn't fancy trying to find the extra busy staff, who would probably find it too much of a bother.
We spent the evening around Llangollen, and hand a lovely meal in the Corn Mill. We came back to the hotel around 11pm. The band were still playing really loud! The bar was full of locals who came across really rough! And rather hostile! So we had the one drink and went back to our room. The band didn't stop until 1am! So we had a restless nights sleep and it didn't help with the hard matress!
Breakfast was ok but the sausages were really over cooked and were awfully salty! But the staff were surprisingly polite.
overall I wish I took the bad reviews in to consideration and didn't book at all!!
It's a shame as the location is beautiful and the hotel does have charactor. It just needs a facelift and a re-vamp for the rooms, decor, staff and facilities.

• Stayed January 2014
8 Thank weekends12
Somerset UK
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We went for the carvery lunch on the first Sunday of the month as they have live jazz in the bar as well. We really enjoyed it! The roast beef and Yorkshires were particularly great, and the veg was not overcooked. The quality of the trad jazz in the bar was fantastic and I would recommend it as a place to go for a lunch venue that has quality, isn't expensive and has a great atmosphere on that first Sunday of the month.
I really hope the management get the door from the car park fixed. We couldn't get in! Glad we did though...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jowrightSomersetUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangollen
Royal Hotel
#1 of 2 in Llanarmon DC
Bridge End Hotel
Bridge End Hotel
#13 of 26 in Llangollen

Been to The Hand Hotel? Share your experiences!