“It's so cute!”
Review of The Hand Hotel

The Hand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed 30 July 2014

While many past guests seem to have disliked it, I quite enjoyed traveling through the maze if hallways. If you're a person who goes on vacation or a business trip who expects AC, elevators, etc., I probably wouldn't suggest that you stay here. If you prefer staying in cozy, quaint-feeling places like me, though, I would definitely give this place a chance. This was by far one of my favourite hotels to stay at on my trip.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Hemmo1996

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Firstly. The picture is incorrect.

Stayed here for 1 night (booked 2 rooms) The Hotel is a dated one of historic interest and has decent car parking facilities to one big building. The hotel to the left and pub to the right. When we checked in, one of the rooms we were given the keys to wasn't made up. They very quickly gave us the keys to another room so that was quickly dealt with.

Rooms are basic and could do with smartening up but ours was unclean and lacked even a basic dust over and the top sheets were stained.

Bathroom to room 11 small and hot water was more luke warm to tepid.

Helpful staff but not enough of them as during evening meal, one girl acted as waitress to a half full restaurant, bar person to a half full lounge and receptionist to guests still checking in. Food was good (and hot) but had to wait 40 minutes for it to arrive with the excuse that the chef was busy with another table. (had a similar meal in another restuarant a few days later and only took 15 minutes in a busier establishment.

For £60 a room, nice beer garden and welcoming lounge and bar I would say it's worth a try but for those expecting a higher quality of room and serevice from this type of listed establishment, all I would say is keep your expectations low and you won't be dissapointed.

Nice village, good walk to the Chirk aquaduct and nice church gardens to walk around in the summer.

Room Tip: Room 10 is their flagship room that appears on the photos. Wifi is available but poor connection.
3  Thank Mark W
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very friendly hotel. Excellent greet on reception and given a room overlooking the river. Very good location for visiting Llangollen and loads of free parking. All staff were very nice from the reception to the night porter. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LesleyPep
Reviewed 28 July 2014

we stayed here as I was going to my mums 80th in Chester and then on to Liverpool. As im based in London it was easier to spend the night in Llangollen and drive to Chester on the morning

My only gripe is I booked as a couple with a 6 year old child and although the room had a great view it was above the bar and outside beer garden

Small Gripe I know but it kept us awake longer than what we wanted

Apart from that the place is lovely, the staff helped when we needed it and the breakfast was fine

I would stay here again 8/10

1  Thank RagsLFC
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed recently in The Hand Hotel. Very quaint old and just OK. Needs a little updating. Couldn't get a shower because the water was very unpredictable. Hot or very cold couldn't adjust for a warm shower. Kettle in our room was very grubby, but all in all we enjoyed the area and would go again but perhaps not to The Hand Hotel. Certainly not suitable for the aged especially if you cannot do stairs. No porterage or lift. Service for evening meal and breakfast was slow.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daphne H
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We travelled here for the second time this year. Llangollen is a beautiful town and well worth a visit. The hotel was quaint. The receptionist was nice. We had booked two rooms one for my parents and a superior room for me and my husband . The room my parents had was clean and ready to go but when we got to our room at 2pm the beds were not changed, there were wet towels on the bathroom floor and the bin was full . It had clearly not been cleaned. We called housekeeping who came up to explain that they were short staffed and to go off for a while whilst they cleaned it. When we returned it was done. The room looked out into the river dee, my moms room looked out to another window of the hotel...quite funny. Apart from that little blip the stay was nice and the food ok. Would I come here again? Yes I would because the town is so nice. Would I stay here at the hotel? Yes but would make sure it was a superior. Beware of low signals for phones. There is also limited wifi in the hotel and can only be used in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Choose superior for the view
3  Thank travel_ky_7
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed for two nights with family, four adults, two rooms. Arrived at two, the first thing they did was take our money. We entered our room, which was not yet made up. We were asked to wait until it was and apologised to us and said they were short staffed. Would have been better to have told us prior to going in we thought. At breakfast we had to ask for sauces, butter and napkins - it is a buffet style menu. On Saturday night we ate in the restaurant, the waiter didn't know the price of the meals, nor what soup of the day was. We were given two menus with different prices, and had to wait a long time for the sweet. We did ask for the sweet menu after the first course, we were given the original one that said 'selection of sweets available' so not really any help. However, the food was really good and plentiful. Breakfast was nice too. Our room had a lovely view, and it was spacious. Will probably try another hotel if we visit again..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family