“Dreadful mothers day meal.!”

White Waters Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Dreadful mothers day meal.!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went for the mothers day carvery, and what a disappointment. Firstly we were seated in the Denbighshire suite, which is in dire need of a re-vamp. We were seated directly underneath a part of the ceiling were the tiles were missing, exposing electrical wiring and damp patches. And the print on the wall directly infront of me looked as though it was on the titanic, (lopsided)The staff are friendly enough, however need re-training as how to serve guests. we were constantly being served from the wrong side, meaning waitresses were always leaning over us. Not good from the paying guests point of view. We were also served wrong drinks, merlot instead of rose for example, staff are clearly not listening to the clients orders.One of the main problems here is that you dont have the same waitress looking after you, its a free for all which is going to result in confusion. This became evident when we were given the bill, added to it ,were 4 other diners meals and drinks, we had to go through this with the barman to get our tab right. As for the carvery it was at best ok, even though my husband and mother in law , had to do without the greens as they had run out, and seemed in no hurry to replenish them.The plates provided were so hot that you couldnt pick them up with using a wad of napkins ,otherwise you would of had nasty blisters.One gentleman from another group, complained severly about them and demanded they be removed, and replaced with ones that were not as hot. I felt sorry for the chef, as he had to deal with this as well as trying to serve meats to the guests. As there was no floor manager to sort things out. This hotel could be a little gem with better management and staff training as its in a lovely location.Mothering sunday in the hospitality industry is one of the biggest dates but sadly the white waters did nothing to make it special at all and we all left bitterly disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ajarvo1
White_Waters1, Front Office Manager at White Waters Country Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review on White Waters Country Hotel.

I am dreadfully disappointed to read your experience here at the hotel was not a happy one. I agree that where your table was situated should not have been used as the work repairing the roof had been completed but the new ceiling tiles had not been fitted and for this I can only apologise.

I am pleased you found the staff friendly and on a day such as Mother's Day extra staff are brought in and I will say there were new members to the team. Training has been carried out and all staff are now trained correctly I just think that due to the large amount of covers that were done mistakes may have been made again I am sorry for any upset caused.

Regarding the plates being too hot I agree that this was a problem which was rectified immediately. The lack of greens surprises me as the carvery is constantly replenished with hot, fresh vegetables and they must have been en-route from the kitchen as your party were at the carvery. I do wish we had known as we could have brought some to your table immediately.

I really do wish that you had addressed your complaints on the day with a member of the management team who were all working on the floor that day and we could have rectified the problems.

We did not receive any other complaints at all so are disturbed by your experience and are sorry we have failed you.

Reception

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
blackpo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We recently stayed as part of a reunion weekend and the hotel was ideal for our needs. It was reasonably priced at £49.95 per night for Bed and Breakfast and handily placed for the town (approx. 15 min walk). The hotel is close to the road but the rooms are quiet although there is a bit of an odd arrangement outside as there appears to be a caravan site in the car park along with some random pieces of construction equipment?
The rooms are adequate and the power shower is uber powerful! Wifi is available in the rooms along with tea and coffee making facilities.
The prices in the bar are reasonable price as is the food. The breakfast was good and there is plenty of good. The staff were excellent throughout; very friendly and helpful.
Overall, the stay was good value for money and was exactly what we needed for the weekend. We would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for writing a review.

It was a pleasure looking after your group for the weekend and I am delighted you found everything to your needs. Thank you for your comments on location, service and food as this assists other travellers to visit the hotel.

The land to the side of the hotel is not part of White Waters and is currently being developed. There was a small amount of building work going on at the time of your stay but I don't think it disturbed any guests which is the main thing.

We do very much hope you return for a further visit.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our second weekend at the hotel, we stayed in the Ponsomby room, on a bed and continental breakfast deal, and very comfortable it was. From the welcome from Mark on our late arrival on Friday, through to our continental breakfast on Sunday morning, everything was perfect, the atmosphere is so friendly. We ate in the bar on both nights due to the time of arrival on the Friday and our walk on Saturday. All four meals were gorgeous, the Trio of Welsh sausage, Hunters chicken, Chicken curry and Chicken sweet ans sour. Could not fault anything about our stay. Will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
White_Waters1, Front Office Manager at White Waters Country Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for reviewing the hotel.

I am so pleased you have returned to the hotel for a second visit and that you were warmly welcomed by Mark, first impressions count a lot and can make or break a visit so I am very happy to hear your comments.

It is excellent to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay here and it gives a great guide to other visitors.

Many thanks

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

From the outside it looks a nice hotel, the bar is cheap and the view at the back is amazing. However when we was there you can see only what looks like a gypsy site on one side of the hotel that had noisy youths outside and building works on the other side. There is no wifi in the room, but the caravan house has an insecure wifi that is fast, but goes off when it rains. The wifi is networked with the hotel so you can access the reception PCs and their files....interesting. The continental breakfast is rubbish, basically toast and 3 dry cereals with some stale fruit. The coffee was so bad I had to switch to tea even though I don't drink tea. The shower gel and shampoos in the shabby rooms were cheap and nasty. The cleaner walked into our room without knocking on one occasion. Two dogs live at the hotel and the little white one, bell I think it was called pooped from one floor to another because it had got trapped between floors, we tried to help it but it was growling and we feared it would bite. The so called fishing access was terrible, you had to carry your gear down 3 flights of steep wooden slippy stairs, then when you get down, there are no fishing platforms, just rough banking full of brambles. The Sunday carvery was one of the poorest I have had with fatty meat, leaving the only option as turkey, frozen yorkshire puddings, and they ran out of pigs in blankets after only 1 hour! We ordered soup one of the days and the fresh crusty bread was one of them long life oven bake rolls that have months of shelf life. We was never given the welsh tea on arrival and in the handbook it says the hotel has a sauna and Jacuzzi...it doesn't. The floors are all creaky and you can hear everything in the other rooms. The owners live on the top floor and they are more noisy than anyone with kids screaming.

Apart from that it was OK =)

Room Tip: There are none, all rooms are on the 2nd floor.
2 Thank -KT_Allen-
White_Waters1, Front Office Manager at White Waters Country Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you found the views amazing but not so delighted with the rest of your review.

Firstly - the land to the side of the hotel does not belong to the hotel so that is beyond our control and it is currently being developed and I can assure you that they are not gypsies.

Secondly - the building work going on at present is being carried out to enhance the hotel and no other guests have been disturbed or bothered about it.

Regarding the WiFi it states clearly that this is available in the public areas. There is absolutely no way you were on the hotels network or able to access our pc's as that would require a password.

With reference to the dog " Belle " a family pet who has grown up with children mentioned (who by the way are very well behaved and were just visiting) Belle was defending her territory as you were in an area clearly marked private and I can assure you is not a nasty dog at all, daft as a brush actually.

Regarding your other comments I think that our guests will make their own minds up regarding the hotel, food and high standards of customer service by reading other reviews.

We obviously failed you and if only we were made aware of your complaints we could have acted on them but if we don't know we cannot fix it.

Welshpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Don't know what the last review is on about. Been eating at Whitewaters Hotel for the last couple of years now and the food is always fantastic. Me and my wife have also been for Carvery many times now and I would say its the best Carvery around. Good choice of Fresh Meats and very good selection of Vegetables Creamy Leeks, Carrots Etc. The Bar menu is also very extensive and very well priced. Lovely Staff and friendly owners, would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David P
Thank you for your review.

I am thrilled to read your enthusiastic comments on our carvery, staff and hotel. It's great to have such positive comments and gives us great pleasure to know we have git it right.

Thank you for your continued support and hope to see you again soon.

wales
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Recommended to us for Sunday lunch just returned the two young lads serving very helpful and pleasent. But did we catch the chef on a bad day? after a good five minutes he reappeared to serve by now the queue was six awaiting plenty to eat but the roasties? Don't know how many times these had been reheated dreadful and the yorkshires completely undercooked . The sweet lemon tart was lovely three folk fuls and it was gone! Expensive for what you got. We had booked to return on Mother's Day but as family are travelling a long way do don't want to risk another disappointment so have tried to cancel by phone n/a tried on internet can't .We did wonder why it was so quite in the resturant only four tables in use prehaps they are having more than a bad day very disappoint.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review White Waters Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you found the staff very helpful and pleasant.

I am dismayed to read your comments regarding the carvery, and I assure you that the roast potatoes do not get re-heated and the chefs replenish the carvery regularly to retain freshness.

Our reception is covered 24 hours so unless there was a major fault I can't fathom out why you were not able to contact us regarding your Mother's Day booking.

We obviously failed your party for which I am very sorry but I only wish you had mentioned something at the time and we would have addressed any issues and rectified them.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here last weekend on a groupon deal, so here are the good and bad points
freindly and pleasant staff make you feel very welcome.
rooms clean and comfortable. We had continental breakfast first morning and cooked breakfast the next, both good value for money.
Had evening meal on first night from the menu in the bar which was very good.
second night had a three course meal in restraunt which was also very good.
The bad side is the floors are very creeky and if you are unfortunate to stay beneath the owners appartments take your ear plugs with you constant noise from above.
All in all a pleasant stay but would have been even nicer if we had a good night sleep.

1 Thank elainedillon62
White_Waters1, Front Office Manager at White Waters Country Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for reviewing White Waters Country Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. I am delighted that you found the food of good standard and also the service.

I am very sorry to hear you had disturbed sleep and if you would like to return I shall make sure that you have room with nobody above you. We are currently looking at extra soundproofing in the above mentioned room.

I do hope you return for a future visit.