“Coul”

White Waters Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I booked this hotel for a romantic weekend to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary.
It started well, we arrived 5 minutes before check in and met Debbie the receptionist, who was lovely and very welcoming, we were shown to the bar area where we ordered lunch which I have to say was very nice. The bar had an open fire and Andrew who was running the bar was very helpful.......it had a nice atmosphere and was relatively cosy.
During lunch we were given the keys to our room - Cedar........it was ok, large size, nowhere to sit other than the bed which is "sold" as being queen size but is actually 2 singles shoved together and dressed as a double......not particularly romantic.
The room has a balcony which was nice, great view of the river and surrounding hills but overlooking the garden where a broken patio heater had been dumped as well as the bins...................
We went out for the afternoon and didn't use the spa, so can't comment on that aspect.
On arrival we reserved a table for dinner at 8pm. There was an issue trying to get an iron delivered to the room, and some 45 minutes after the request (and already late for dinner) we were informed by an apologetic Debbie that a member of staff had gone home with the only keys to the store cupboard..........these things do happen, but it was frustrating.
On arrival at the dining room i was questioned closely by the waitress who was abrupt and brusque in her manner.
We were shown to our table which was wobbly and given the menu's, which sounded delicious on paper.............at this point I should mention that i've stayed in some of the best hotels this country has to offer and notice the small details that can make a stay go from ok to amazing................
My husband's starter was appalling and over priced - roast duck salad.........5 small slices of duck on the same number of rocket leaves with chilli sauce from a bottle.............my starter claimed to be a tomato, mushroom and stilton tart.......it was a tomato and mushroom tart covered in a stilton sauce with pastry that fell into pieces and couldn't be picked up with the prong of a fork. Over priced and mis sold on the menu.......... The main course was only ok, there is no place for a pile of cress on a hot meal as a presentation tool! The restaurant is lacking in atmosphere and certainly didn't provide for an intimate dining experience.
The waiting staff were indifferent at best and worse, they began clearing up the restaurant and chit chatting as we finished our meal - the constant pfft pfft of a spray bottle and smell of cleaning fluid while you're trying to enjoy a romantic meal is off putting to say the least. Dinner ended with the main course - I did speak with the head waitress about the waiting staff and she said she would mention it to them.
Cedar room badly needs some maintenance, there are spots on the walls that need filling and painting, the end of the bath tub needs to be put back on properly and the grout around the bath needs a very good clean or better still redoing........There is also a very large deep crack in the ceiling - none of these things are acceptable in what is sold as a VIP room!!
We ordered a newspaper which doesn't get delivered to the room (no one mentions this, i only got ours because it was at the desk at check out). Breakfast was ok, cheap sausages and tinned mushrooms, though the poached eggs were excellent. The crockery is lack lustre and losing it's glaze and the spout of the teapot had been broken and badly fixed! The ceiling of the dining room in the cold light of day has damp patches and stains on it and the furniture in the bedroom had ring marks from where people had left drinks - not exactly difficult to address and correct really.......................
I know i sound picky, but it's the little things that make a big difference when you're in a hotel and this has such potential to be a great place but unless these issues with maintenance and the way staff work around guests are addressed it is never going to have that wow factor. Comparing it to Pale Hall and Ty Mawr and Rookery Hall perhaps isn't fair, but if you're marketing yourself as being towards the top end and aren't delivering the same standard then your pricing structure should reflect this.
White Waters is in a nice location and Debbie and Andrew were both excellent. I fear there is an element of complacency in the hotel, even the Parrot was despondent.........i wouldn't stay here again

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ella74
Management response:Responded 15 November 2010

Please let me take this opportunity to thank you for having the time to leave this review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have raised and I am very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay.

Please rest assure that I have taken all your points on board and addressed them with the relevant departments involved.

We here at White Waters Country Hotel are continually looking for ways to improve the level of service we provide to our customers and we feel that the feed back left are a fantastic way to do so.

I do hope that you will visit us again in the future so that you can see how we have taken all the issues raised on board and improved in the relevant areas.

Once again I thank you for leaving this review and hope to welcome you in the near future.

Best regards

John Churchward

There are newer reviews for White Waters Country Hotel

Reviewed 11 November 2010

We stayed here for two nights in the dee room cannot fault this place we even did a bit of trout fishing from the hotels river bank,
will definitely book this place again very friendly staff .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My complaint is about breakfast. Excellent choice of starters, cooked breakfast not up to standard due to sausages being of an inferior quality when there are excellent butchers in the town and tinned mushrooms rather than fresh.

The rooms are of a very good quality, staff very obliging and in an excellent location.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I stayed with my partner at the hotel during October. As it was a special occasion I had booked the Cedar room which was noted as a VIP room £120. On arrival the hotel looked fine with a lovely location on the banks of the river. Upon entering the bar area it was apparent that the hotel required some updating, not terrible but could do with some work to bring it up to standard. When entering the VIP room my heart sank as I noticed it was two single beds pushed and joined together with two matresses that I was told fasten together but you still can't sleep between the gap as you will feel very unconfortable. Not at all what I would expect from a VIP room. Further, there was a single bed in the room and not a sofa as one would assume. My partner commented that she felt like she was in a friends house who had to make room for us to stay. The room itself was large with a great view but a little noise from the road was heard during the night. As regards the food, all was okay here although our amendments to our order were not carried out until we explained even thought the waiter had witten them down. Some very young serving staff who as of yet don't fully understand how to serve a table eg remove the soup spoon if not being used, a gravy boat without a plate under it. The wine waiter managed to spill wine on the table and then left the mess for my partner to clear up. I would say he threw it in the glass but managed to smile whilst doing it. On a plus point there is a lovely outdoor area that in the warmer months would be a great place to spend time.
Take care with your choice of room here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
JohnChurchward, Front Office Manager at White Waters Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2010

I would like to thank this guest for taking time out to leave this review - we welcome all comments here at White Waters Country Hotel and actively try to improve our hotel and service by actioning feedback. We feel that the reception area is well presented and reflects the traditional atmosphere of our country house hotel. We are proud of all of our VIP rooms and particularly Cedar, which is a large and luxurious room with a King sized double bed and of course, a wonderful view out on the balcony of the River Dee. The single bed is provided so that we can accomodate families at the hotel - we pride ourselves on being a family orientated hotel. Our food is well renowned in the area; I'm sorry you did not have the service you deserved and I have addressed your comments with all of our restaurant and bar staff to avoid any future issues. I would like to apologise for any issues you had and hope that we can welcome you back to White Waters Country Hotel to show you how we have progressed following your comments.

Kind Regards,

Rebecca Owen
Head Receptionist

Reviewed 28 October 2010

Went to White Waters for a couple days as a trip away to surprise my boyfriend. Absolutely stunning view from the room (right on the River Dee!!!) and within walking distance from the town centre. A minutes walk from the River sports place if youre keen on rafting! Great hotel, great food, and hospitality and loved the spa! Great place for couples!!!!! Thanks to the team!!!!! We loved it!

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Booked on 3 for 2 deal which was good value. Asked for and got a room with a view, was a bit warm as mentioned by other reviewers but fan was provided. View of the river was lovely. Room not large but perfectly acceptable, very clean and nice decor. Very comfortable bed. Rooms facing the road might have been noisy but ours was fine.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful and made a point of asking if there were any improvements that could be made.
Food was great. I have a few dietary problems but the chef kindly made me a special sauce to go with my main course.Thought the residents menu was of a high standard.
The dining room was modern and welcoming. The bar area was more traditional but equally as good in its own way. The little town of Llangollen is very attractive and there is lots to do in and around the area. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

had a great stay at white waters eveything was perfect. The ceader room which we stayed in was beautiful,spaciouse and clean with outstanding veiws. We loved the spa and my friends and i really enjoyed the realxing atmosphere. The food was beautiful and wonderfully presented. The staff were very polite and helpful. Thanks for the wonderful stay x

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends