“Don't even bother if you have a food intolerance”
Review of The Simla

The Simla
Ranked #34 of 66 Restaurants in Llangollen
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 23 September 2013

To be fair I can't actually rate the food, since I wasn't allowed to buy any! I think I might have gotten away with ordering plain boiled rice.
We went in for takeaway and I mentioned that I'm gluten I tolerant, no suggestions were made on what I could or couldn't eat, so I ordered and was told I couldn't have that curry as it had cream in. I tried explaining that it is wheat I can't eat, no problem with dairy, but to no avail. I tried asking for suggestions but got only a vague finger wave towards a section of the menu - which included the curry I'd tried ordering. After trying to explain again and asking for more help I eventually decided I would risk the one I'd chosen, I was then told that they would not sell me this. With no other suggestions made or help given, and a total refusal to check ingredients for me I was forced to leave without any food.
To add insult to injury I then tried to pay for the drinks we had ordered while looking at the menu, to be told 'I have no change'. I didn't have anything smaller so had to wait for several minutes repeatedly being told 'I have no change' until another customer came to pay for their meal and thankfully had enough change.
The attitude of the guy we spoke to was completely disgusting. I have no problem with people not understanding food intolerance, but there is no excuse for not listening or that level of rudeness.

1  Thank Jengre121

Reviewed 28 August 2013

service slower than would have liked but they were exceptionally busy being the last BH of the year and the food was well cooked and fresh so no problem

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Visited in August 2013 after a walk up to Dinas Bran Castle. Very attentive service, and the food was fine. The place could do with a bit of a spruce up, not the freshest of places I've ever visited. Was OK.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Simla is a few 100 metres and about 5 minutes walk from the bridge at the centre of town but well worth seeking out. We found excellent service, a nice relaxed atmosphere, good food and reasonable pricing. There are also fine views of Castell Dinas Bran. Dined here before and hope to do so again.

2  Thank Tim L
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Although eating on my own,I was made to feel most welcome.
Service was good although it was quite obvious they were under
pressure.
Frenetic rather than relaxed.
Food was good.
Would be interested to see how they coped if you asked for something
not on the menu!