“so much potential”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Holyhead
Inverness, United Kingdom
“so much potential”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Two nights on KGB deal. I have many mixed feelings about this hotel. The potential is enormous but it is just falling short at the moment. On arrival very efficient check in, Room was spacious with a door to a shared balcony. The bathroom light over over mirror was not working. A shower in walk in shower resulted in water everywhere over the floor. Bed very comfy. Wi fi was ok too. The bar area was comfortable with excellent service. Free snacks on bar. The restaurant is where it all falls apart. Food is average. at both dinner and breakfast there was a distinct lack of care for the customer. Nobody checked if food if was ok. Meal was put in front of diner rather than served. I witnessed a table where the waitress brought main out before starter finished causing embarrassment to the diners who felt they had to relinquish their starters. Breakfast too was a bit of a fiasco. Kippers served unappetizingly ( they tasted good). Welsh breakfast disappointing. Toaster needs instructions. The staff were lovely they just need guidance. I would return but would eat main meals elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAYBEEDEE57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Bedford UK
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Two nights here on a kgb deal which was better value than some of the dives we've stayed! Warm rooms even without any visible heating, we chose not to open window overnight due to expected aircraft noise in the morning. Comfortable bed & bedding, plenty of room for our needs with comfy armchairs for lazy tv watching. We were on a leisure break altho I know plenty of business people stay here so maybe the work space isn't enough for their purposes. Lots of lovely hot water & fluffy white towels, however, I would have appreciated another shower gel for the second day, it's just fortunate hubby prefers his own soap!
On the downside, food was decidedly mediocre. Fruit on breakfast bar would have been a plus. Hot breakfast was luke warm except for the freshly cooked eggs. I'm guessing the rest had either been kept 'warm' in a place which wasn't hot enough or been put on freezing plates - sausage really wasn't hot at all. Lots of hot tea/coffee & staff were happy for me to fill my thermos mug each morning.
Dinner ... mmm! Quite an extensive choice which would be impossible to fulfil without the use of a freezer. For example, I'm v allergic to wine which often gets thrown into gravy so I asked for roast beef without - for some reason it was cooked in wine gravy??!! Funny, I roast mine in the oven then add gravy at the table. The 'roast' chicken I had as a substitute was a misnomer - it had been deep fried so very greasy & quite dry as was the sea bass I had the following day, disappointing as this is a coastal region with lots of fresh fish available. To be fair the starters were lovely. We were told they were a chef down so maybe that explained the problems.
The staff were, without exception, friendly & welcoming & we would certainly return as overall it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 at top of stairs as you'll be disturbed by noisy early risers or those going to bed...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here because it is so convenient for RAF Valley, which is certainly true, a 5 minute drive to the case and a view of the airfield fro the front of the hotel. the location is also excellent for the beach - a short walk, and for plane spotters it's right under the flight path.
The hotel is fine, a modern building so warm and cosy, but a few quirks, like a light switch located so far from the room door that you stumble in the dark trying to find it, and toilets that don't stop flushing (reported but not fixed during my stay). Staff were friendly and pleasant, particularly in the bar and restaurant, but accuracy of order taking and food quality was a bit hit and miss, although quality was never too bad. Beware the toaster in the morning though - sitting at a table anywhere close is likely to result in sunstroke! (For some inexplicable reason our group were always directed to sit right in front of it where not only did we roast, but all the other guests had to push past to serve themselves from the buffet...)
On the down side was the housekeeping, I had to ask twice for my shower gel to be replaced - 20ml for a 5 night stay is eking it out too much and after an elbow injury on the second night covered my bedsheets with blood I had to sleep on the dirty sheets for the rest of my stay - at home I would have changed the sheet, but the staff ignored the obviously dirty sheet (see photo).
It's a pity really, because a few small changes could make this a great place to stay...

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms at the back are noisy when breakfast begins in the restaurant above and have an g...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Convenient for RAF Valley. Note that you are unlikely to get a sleep in past 0800 since that is when the first Hawks launch. The hotel is just off the active runway line so be prepared for jet noise. Hotel reception staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are modern and well decorated. Hot water is hot and the bath & the bath and shower are efficient. Plenty of good towels are provided.

When I stayed, the bed was very comfortable with a nice thick duvet and sufficient pillows. The TV worked well although I would comment that the desk is a bit small for working on. Suffice to say I had an excellent nights sleep so no complaints on that score.

However, breakfast was distinctly average in both quality and service with a rather brusque (although not impolite) waitress. In criticism of the room, the window blinds were stained at the bottom and the bed cover (over the duvet) had some obvious old stains. I would comment in mitigation that the bed linen was all very clean albeit with the obvious old stain on the spread.

There were also some small stains on the carpet and one long hair on the bath (not mine, wrong colour & wrong length) so a mark off for cleanliness. Several stains were also noted on the hallway carpets.

I did not have an evening meal, but my contacts at Valley warned me about the quality of the food. I can't personally vouch for this but have no reason to disbelieve the comments made.

Given the price, I don't think that this hotel offered particularly good value for money being about £10 - £20 more expensive per night than the Premier Inn at Bangor.

In summary, ok in many respects but just misses the mark. Could be so much better with just a little effort.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Drooper901
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Have stayed at Hotel Cymyran on many occasions and have always found it to be comfortable and friendly. All rooms are well decorated and sufficiently roomy.
Particularly convenient for RAF Valley.
Can get very busy.
Occasionally difficult to connect to Wireless Broadband, even after recent upgrades to system.
Bar area really needs an overhaul - very tired looking.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
uk
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed on a KGB deal, excellent rooms, clean , well appointed and comfortable. Lovely view from the Patio Window, shared terrace was lovely too. Wonderful views. Breakfast was really tasty. Staff were all friendly and welcoming. Large car park. Easy to find off the A55, ideal base for visiting Anglesey. Nice option of bath and separate walk in shower ( note to hotel, wet rooms only work if the duck-boards aren't sealed to the floor, there is nowhere for the water to go (room 4). Will certainly visit this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel is tucked away in the country but near Holyhead. We had a good stay. It was very clean throughout and we liked the bar and restaurant décor. The room was warm and comfortable and serviced well.
The staff were all friendly and helpful and we were particularly impressed with the member of staff who booked us in. She went out of her way to book us into a suitable room for my disabled husband. She sold the hotel to us by her warm, friendly manner; a superb attitude.
The breakfast was very large and to die for. It was delicious. We ate in the evening once and that was good too.
We had no children with us but we noticed families were well catered for in the restaurant.
We liked the relaxed atmosphere and the thought that had gone into the design of the rooms and the public areas. The parking was good and the hotel accessible to it which made life easier! We will definitely book in again next time we visit Anglesey!

Room Tip: Just tell the Reception Staff your requirements. We needed a room on the flat and we got it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyhead
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Bull Hotel
Bull Hotel
#2 of 3 in Valley

Been to Hotel Cymyran? Share your experiences!