“excellent all round”

Ranked #6 of 27 Holyhead B&B and Inns
tameside
“excellent all round”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

after reading some of the reviews i was abit hesitant to stay there, but bit the bullet and booked. my husband and i arrived on a motorcycle for a 2 night stay. the hotel is in a beautiful spot overlooking the harbour. parked the bike in the carpark, which is very large. went to reception and was greeted by a very friendly member of staff who showed us to our room. huge room, well furnished, clean. tea and coffee making facilities, and very well stocked with tea and coffee etc. loads of clean towels. window opening in the room and bathroom for plenty of fresh air, but also radiators to turn on if you were cold. tv in room worked perfectly and the shower in the bathroom did as well. the hotel is tastefully furnished and the place has a real nice atmosphere. plenty of tables and chairs outside for you to sit and have a drink etc. had a meal both nights there in the conservatory. area. the food is incredible. full marks to the chef. brekfast was just as good. cerial, fruit juice,fresh fruit and yogurts, and off course the cooked brekfasts. my husband had full english both days which was cooked to perfection. the hotel is only a 2 star but i would rate it as a 3. i will not hesitate to go back there and all i can say is to those of you that have wriiten bad reviews that if you had wanted 5 star service then you should have booked itno a 5 star hotel .

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ernTameside

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Knew the hotel as the Scimitar having previously lived in Holyhead. Booked a twin room for 2 nights but found a 4 poster and a put u up! Not happy but unable to change as hotel full. Hard uncomfortable mattresses, basic amenities and extremely expensive at £85 per night!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank FabFizz

Travellers are raving about these Holyhead hotels

oxford
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I wouldn't describe this hotel as salubrious and my complaints of room 4 were that the shower was next to useless(however my friend in room 9 had an excellent shower) and there was no remote for the freeview box(and as the hotel was full they couln't find one for me)so the TV was stuck on one channel.
That being said, We go to Holyhead every year for a two day fishing trip and I can say that there is very little decent accomodation in Holyhead.
Holyhead is a ferry town with very few highlights, if you are looking for a place where you can get a bed for the night with a bar and a half decent restaurant(the food is fairly good and the portions are huge and the place is well used by the locals)then you will be hard pushed to find anything better.
My personal recommendation for and excellent BB would be the Dublin Ferry, which I couldn't recommend highly enough, but you then have to remember that there aren't really any decent restaurants in Holyhead and the food at the Boathouse is probably as good as it gets..
I would probably rate this as the second best accomodation I have used in Holyhead and would use it again if I couldn't get into the Dublin Ferry guest house.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Devon
Reviewed 8 November 2009

It seemed to be best place we could find for a meal in Holyhead .What a disapointment...There were two very young girls serving who had not been trained to clear away anyone`s plates or enquire if they would like a pud.or coffee.Everything we wanted we had to get up and order at the bar .The dining room was full ,French ,Americans and Germans ,so that we felt ashamed to be British.The food was very mediocre and mass produced.We were over charged and when we asked for a breakdown in the billreceived no apologies .There was meant to be entertainment thattevening but by 9.30 it hadn`t started and the deal of the moment was a bottle of wine and one steak for £19.99 on a Saturday night ......hope they don`t drink and drive there!

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rulizzy
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 20 October 2009

In July of this year, my family booked 2 rooms for 1 night at this hotel. Mind you, we spontaneously booked at 11 pm on a Sunday night for the next night since we made a decision to go to Ireland from London. However, the next day my sister became very ill & we had to go to a hospital in London. I immediately had my niece in the U.S. call to cancel the reservations & explain the reasoning at 10:30 am (less than 12 hours after we booked the 2 rooms). They were very nice on the phone but still charged us the $265 because we didn't give them a 24 hour cancellation. This was physically impossible since we didn't even book 24 hours in advance! When my sister got better & we could came back to the U.S. (never being able to actually go to Wales), I emailed them several times asking them to please discount the rate (offering to pay for at least one room but please credit us for the other because of the circumstances) but I was told No. We booked through booking.com (they are a good site) but they could do nothing about it. There is nowhere on the hotel's website that states this policy (although they say there is - check it out yourself) but they refused to budge (even with a doctor's statement). So I don't know how good their accomodations are but their customer service (and just plain kindness) is absolutely lacking. If it had been over 24 hours & they had turned away customers because of a last minute cancellation, I could totally understand. But to say no because of an emergency when the rooms had been booked less than 12 hours previously - well, that's ridiculous and does not show a commitment to any type of customer service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank covious
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Booked this a while ago and to be honest its probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The room was very small and under the bed was a plastic spoon and a top off a tub of Pringles! That was there when we arrived and there when we left after 3 days.
The lights over the bed and over the shaving mirror didn't work when we arrived or when we left despite reuests to reception. The room was only given a 1/10 daily service, no hoover, no dusting, no cleaning in the bathroom and one two days i had to request they change the towels! The tea and coffee were not topped up either so we had to keep going to reception. The worst was the shower door in our room (21) which was hanging on by a thread!
The 'bistro' was poor with selection and quality.
Its a shame really as the hotel is in a lovely spot but is being milked because of its proximity to the boats and the fact most will stay once and then never return, but thanks to a website like this, people will take note and give it a wide berth when booking. We have stayed at cheaper hotels and had better facilities and quality.
I have always posted honestly on here and have used the website as a guide, please contact me if you need to know more.

If you are roomless for the night and its late, use the hotel, if you have chance to ring around or look around, I would.

Anglesey as a destination? Please go its wonderful, but the Boathouse does the island a dis-service and they should improve whats on offer and stop taking the money and advertising it as a wonderful hotel with luxury bed rooms as it is clearly not.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BazilManchester
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My stay was for one night to accommodate a ferry journey in the morning. Arrived at around 6pm to be booked in at a reception area which looked more like an under stairs cupboard, and was handed the TV remote along with the room key, which rang the first alarm bell in my head! Hauled my suitcase upstairs and along narrow, uneven corridors covered in worn carpet, and lit by electric switches on timers which I hadn't seen since I was a student 25 years ago, to a room which seemed to be stuck in a 1980s time warp. Wallpaper and paintwork had both seen better days. The en-suite bathroom was clearly a later addition created by partitioning off one corner of the room, and meant that I was barely able to get my suitcase past the end of the bed. An inspection of the bathroom revealed a distinct lack of complimentary toiletries. There was a hand soap dispenser on the wall next to the basin (presumably to prevent the guests leaving with anything) but a similar dispenser on the shower wall proved to be empty of shower gel and shampoo, so it was a good thing I always travel with such items and don't depend on having them provided, as they are in any good hotel. Have to say that the food in the restaurant was good, if slow in coming. I asked at reception (I couldn't telephone down as there was no phone in the room) for more pillows, as there was one very thin one on each bed and only one in the wardrobe, but they seemed to be in short supply - what horrified me more was the receptionist/waitress/chambermaid (a jack of all trades, really) letting herself into the bedroom with her pass key after barely knocking to pass on this information! Eventually two more pillows were supplied but without pillow cases, so I was forced to wrap mine in my bath towel for the night. Breakfast next morning was so awful that I left most of it. The bacon was undercooked, as were the eggs, which were fried despite my asking for poached. The orange juice jug was full of ice cubes, which as well as cooling it also effectively diluted it to half strength. The coffee was definitely not filter, that's all I can say about it, and the toast (one slice each) was served on a plate instead of in a rack, so that it was soggy. On checking out, I was surprised to find that my credit card transaction had already been completed in my absence using the number provided by me while making my telephone booking - I can think of one very good reason for this practice!! One gentlemen at breakfast mentioned that he had been there for a fortnight How he endured it I have no idea - I certainly couldn't wait to get out of the place! Having stayed in some excellent hotels in Wales over the previous 10 days, it was a very disappointing end to an enjoyable holiday.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tutor64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyhead
Trearddur Bay Hotel
#1 of 27 in Holyhead
Wavecrest
Wavecrest
#2 of 27 in Holyhead

Been to The Boathouse Hotel? Share your experiences!