“not for those who have knee or hip problems!”
Review of Wavecrest

Wavecrest
Ranked #2 of 24 Holyhead B&B and Inns
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
“not for those who have knee or hip problems!”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I booked online for a single room and told them I would be arriving at 4pm, there was no-one in at that time, so I returned at 5.30pm and was met by the owner. Entering I found the hallway and stairway were full of paintings and railway signs, it made for a rather claustaphobic feel to the place. I was shown to a family room with a double bed, single bed and a folded up futon in front of the sink this made it difficult to get to the sink to brush my teeth! The single bed had been made but the sheets had not been ironed although they smelt fresh. The shared bathroom was down four stairs and up two VERY steep stairs with no hand rail to assist, I found this quite difficult to manage espeicially in the middle of the night. Also rather disconcerting was the fact that the waste pipes from the rooms around went through my bedroom and as I was just about to fall off to sleep it sounded like water cascading down the wall and rushing into the pipes by the side of the single bed were I was. The breakfast room was interesting as it contained three tables, one for 6 people and two for three people, a breakfast bar, TV and a fridge for the jams and marmalades. The room was not large and the waitress had to push past me to get to the jams and marmalades in the fridge to replenish the tables, she apologised and said that "the fridge used to be in the kitchen which had been much better" that made a lot of sense. I sat at a table for three and my setting was for full breakfast. This included a cup on a small plate (not saucer) and underneath them a side plate which was chipped. When I had eaten breakfast and was ready for my toast, I found the side plate to be dirty too. I left my keys on the table and departed. I would not recommend this place to anyone else, which was a shame as the pictures look really nice on the website.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
The problem with budget accommodation is that there will always be mixed reviews as some customers are expecting 5 star standards for a fraction of the price!
The majority of guests really like the various memoribilia displayed
on my walls and have raised many interesting conversations.The gushing of water in the pipes just happened the once at 10pm from my own en-suite,next door.
This can be the only cause. I will be careful in future!
On reading this review,I will be fitting a handrail for the 2 steps to the bathroom.
The fridge in the dining room is for the use of guests to store food and drink and unlimited supply of juices and yoghurts. On examination,I did find a chip on the side plate probably caused from dishwasher ware.
All crockery is cleaned this way and maybe the dirty plate in question was accidentally left from the previous serving.
My establishment is not every persons cup of tea due to limited facilities. We cater mainly for overnight stay prior to Ferry.However I can guarantee that you will be made welcome,a decent breakfast,clean room and peaceful location. All at an affordable price.
Finally any person suffering from hip or knee problems,I recommend an en-suite room although it will cost more for single occupancy!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Barraba, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We were given the room at the top of the B&B, we didn't mind that, but the room left a bit to be desired, the shower a modular unit was at the end of the bunks. The toilet was as you enter the room was about 2 feet wide and 3 feet long not wide enough to pull your jeans up you had to turn sideways to do that. The breakfast was ok.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annette B
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Thank you for your comments. The large family room is very popular with many returning families. Rooms that accomodate 2 adults and 3 children are diifficult to find especially on a tight budget. They often have to book for 2 rooms at greater expense..
The room has a partition which gives privacy for parents or 2 single occupants. I have
considered changing the layout to increase the size of en-suite facilities,however this will mean taking down the partition and reducing capacity,
I am sure it would be an unpopular choice for larger families, looking for accommodation.
As the majority are for one night only (Ferry transit) it would be a shame to sacrifice the room capacity for a more spacious WC etc.
There are other spacious toilets and showers on the premises too.
Since the "disappointing" review (September 2012), I have asked families of thier opinion and they overwhelming advise me to not change the layout..

Worth noting that there is an excellent view from this room!
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Handy place as close to the town and the promenade. Owners very friendly and plenty of information on area. Nice breakfast too.
The room was adequate and nice extra touches like biscuits and sweets supplied.
The area around the B& B ia lovely with a marina and promenade close by.
The Town Centre looks a little tired though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Vallejo, California
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I selected Wavecrest on short notice because it had a single room at a very good rate and because it accepted pets. I needed to take the ferry at 13:50 on the following day for the crossing when pets are accepted.

The hotel is located in a street crammed with other B&Bs. As the taxi approached along this street, I was happy to find that the Wavecrest was among the especially sweet-looking ones. Nice brick-red building with white trim and with flowers in the yard and hanging by the door.

I am very suspicious of the earlier reviewer who said the area didn't seem safe. Maybe the reviewer got this Wavecrest mixed up with a place by the same name in another town? The idea of the neighborhood being "terrible" is ludicrous. Holyhead is a pleasant little town, not tourist-oriented but with a good local feeling and most basics a traveler would need. I do not think it is likely that any part of the town would feel dangerous, but this street was quiet, charming, and pleasant.

My first impression of the inside of the house was of the collection of handsome and interesting memorabilia. Prints of travel-related and local scenes cover the walls of the foyer and stairway, along with what looked original full-size signs related, if I remember right, to the ferry and the train line. When I was shown into my room, I found it simple, clean, and welcoming, with a little box of biscuits and an electric kettle for hot tea, most welcome.

Host was not that much in evidence, but made it clear he was available for any questions if I knocked on his door.

Huge hot breakfast in the cozy breakfast room was excellent.

Room Tip: I had booked the single with the restroom down the hall, but the host put me up in a larger room, pr...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank JenPacific
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We always try and please all customers and offer good value for money ,especially a hearty cooked breakfast!
The negative comments from a previous reviwer was purely "retaliatory"and have requested this removed. I have explained the circumstances. Thank you for highlighting this and mention of the lovely location we are situated.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We arrived having paid and booked our twin accommodation weeks ago, to find there was no record of it. Our room had been given to someone else so we were put on the top floor in a triple room - one double bed and bunk beds and crowded with another spare rollaway. The room is tired and the toilet so small we could hardly fit in it. While it superficially looked clean under the taps was thick crud, the shower door moldy and even the cup for cleaning your teeth had dried dribbles of toothpaste on it. Mattresses were uncomfortable.
The owner was away and the lady in charge was nice and offered to do laundry. Breakfast was good, although another couple also said their booking was not recorded either. No on site parking but several takeaway places nearby. Free Wifi.
Holyhead itself is a pretty boring place.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs if your room is on the top.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Your comments on cleanliness have been noted.We are always looking at ways to improve on such matters.
The grouting and re-sealing of showers will be done in the lower season as it takes 24 hours to dry,hence room has to be closed.

I had to dash off to Liverpool as my fiancee was taken into hospital for surgery. I normally double check on all bookings. However I hadn't
and this booking escaped the net! Fortunately there was still a room available.
The second questionable booking was because on arrival they advised that one of the party had dropped out and only 2 persons. They were offered a smaller room at a discount aand were happy with the large saving. The booking had not been overlooked! If the acting manager had not been so kind in trying to please, then I would not be defending myself now!¬
All this modern technology is great,however mistakes are easy to make and more often from Guest bookings too. I had 2 ladies show up on Saturday morning and I had no recollection of a booking. They became very annoyed and showed me the booking confirmation. On inspection they had booked for the following Saturday.In other words,they had turned up a week early! We are all human after all.
yorkshire
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Arrived at this hotel , booked it on line. The disciption on line was very misleading. The area was terrible, and the place itself of what we saw want good either. Never stayed was very concerned about leaving the car and contents in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
I am very hurt by this report. I have lived here for over 25 years and never had any criminal break ins or malicious damage to cars. I leave my Nissan 370Z (sports car) parked outside as it is a peaceful area. The roada is residential and only 100 metres from the sea with lovely views.
Anyone with any doubts should contact me and I can forward photos or direct webcam.
Timaru, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed at Wave crest on our return from Dublin to Wales. The room and Ensuite were OK and clean. Unfortunately when we arrived on Sunday night it was raining and it was very difficult to find somewhere to eat. This was no fault to the B & B but gave us a poor impression of the area.
The owners were away and had another person managing the business. She was not able to give us much information about Hollyhead when we asked. Breakfast was good with the usual cereals and cooked available.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyhead
Travelodge Holyhead Hotel
#1 of 24 in Holyhead
The Boathouse Hotel
The Boathouse Hotel
#6 of 24 in Holyhead

Been to Wavecrest? Share your experiences!