“From A Critic”
Review of Wavecrest

Wavecrest
Ranked #2 of 25 Holyhead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I visited the opera at local Arts Centre. Selected Wavecrest. Not disappointed. Room was warm and comfortable. Space in the bedroom and en suite a little tight but everything there for you even down to the biscuits and sweet dish. Very quiet and just up the road from the pebble beach. Food excellent, staff excellent and very welcoming. DON'T USE BOOKING.COM. They are rip offs. Always try the hotel/B&B first and negotiate a discount. Well done Wavecrest. If we come by we'll ask for your accomm. again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IanL422

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Having 3 children can be a bit of a nightmare in finding accommodation which has rooms for a large families. Found this online and was not disappointed.Room had 2 sections and therefore had some privacy. Although toilet was small I can see the owners reason for not altering the layout . Nice view from the window.
Had a nice breakfast before our Ferry to Dublin, Very convenient for all and parking outside the house. South Stack area was worth a visit and less than 10 minute drive.
Graces Italian Bistro was handy and easy walk.

Room Tip: The room mentioned is up 2 flights of stairs and not suitable for people with walking difficulties.T...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jasmine H
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed here for only 1 night because we had to take the ferry to Dublin. The B&B is very good located. The value is also very good, the breakfast and beds are very comfortable. It is not a 5 star B&B but we enjoyed it and for sure can recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lieke K
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The B&B is handy for the ferry when arriving late or leaving early therefore serves a practical purpose. When it's only a short stay it's great not to be charged the earth and the rate here was very reasonable. The owner made allowances for our late arrival and left out a key.
We found on-street parking no problem and had a good night's rest.
The decor in the room is quite old and the ensuite bathroom in need of updating but the bathroom in the hall was modern.
Breakfast was only ok. There is a strange notice in the bedroom that credit cards are not accepted due to the owner being away, but, the notice is laminated therefore quite permanent & the owner was onsite. This seemed odd to me. If an establishment doesn't want to accept payment by credit card for whatever reason ie. to void paying merchant fees maybe, they should be more upfront about it and just say credit cards not accepted. I had no major issue with my stay but those kind of statements bug me.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank banbh
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I booked online for a single room and told them I would be arriving at 4pm, there was no-one in at that time, so I returned at 5.30pm and was met by the owner. Entering I found the hallway and stairway were full of paintings and railway signs, it made for a rather claustaphobic feel to the place. I was shown to a family room with a double bed, single bed and a folded up futon in front of the sink this made it difficult to get to the sink to brush my teeth! The single bed had been made but the sheets had not been ironed although they smelt fresh. The shared bathroom was down four stairs and up two VERY steep stairs with no hand rail to assist, I found this quite difficult to manage espeicially in the middle of the night. Also rather disconcerting was the fact that the waste pipes from the rooms around went through my bedroom and as I was just about to fall off to sleep it sounded like water cascading down the wall and rushing into the pipes by the side of the single bed were I was. The breakfast room was interesting as it contained three tables, one for 6 people and two for three people, a breakfast bar, TV and a fridge for the jams and marmalades. The room was not large and the waitress had to push past me to get to the jams and marmalades in the fridge to replenish the tables, she apologised and said that "the fridge used to be in the kitchen which had been much better" that made a lot of sense. I sat at a table for three and my setting was for full breakfast. This included a cup on a small plate (not saucer) and underneath them a side plate which was chipped. When I had eaten breakfast and was ready for my toast, I found the side plate to be dirty too. I left my keys on the table and departed. I would not recommend this place to anyone else, which was a shame as the pictures look really nice on the website.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

The problem with budget accommodation is that there will always be mixed reviews as some customers are expecting 5 star standards for a fraction of the price!
The majority of guests really like the various memoribilia displayed
on my walls and have raised many interesting conversations.The gushing of water in the pipes just happened the once at 10pm from my own en-suite,next door.
This can be the only cause. I will be careful in future!
On reading this review,I will be fitting a handrail for the 2 steps to the bathroom.
The fridge in the dining room is for the use of guests to store food and drink and unlimited supply of juices and yoghurts. On examination,I did find a chip on the side plate probably caused from dishwasher ware.
All crockery is cleaned this way and maybe the dirty plate in question was accidentally left from the previous serving.
My establishment is not every persons cup of tea due to limited facilities. We cater mainly for overnight stay prior to Ferry.However I can guarantee that you will be made welcome,a decent breakfast,clean room and peaceful location. All at an affordable price.
Finally any person suffering from hip or knee problems,I recommend an en-suite room although it will cost more for single occupancy!

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We were given the room at the top of the B&B, we didn't mind that, but the room left a bit to be desired, the shower a modular unit was at the end of the bunks. The toilet was as you enter the room was about 2 feet wide and 3 feet long not wide enough to pull your jeans up you had to turn sideways to do that. The breakfast was ok.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annette B
holyheadcarl, Owner at Wavecrest, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Thank you for your comments. The large family room is very popular with many returning families. Rooms that accomodate 2 adults and 3 children are diifficult to find especially on a tight budget. They often have to book for 2 rooms at greater expense..
The room has a partition which gives privacy for parents or 2 single occupants. I have
considered changing the layout to increase the size of en-suite facilities,however this will mean taking down the partition and reducing capacity,
I am sure it would be an unpopular choice for larger families, looking for accommodation.
As the majority are for one night only (Ferry transit) it would be a shame to sacrifice the room capacity for a more spacious WC etc.
There are other spacious toilets and showers on the premises too.
Since the "disappointing" review (September 2012), I have asked families of thier opinion and they overwhelming advise me to not change the layout..

Worth noting that there is an excellent view from this room!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Handy place as close to the town and the promenade. Owners very friendly and plenty of information on area. Nice breakfast too.
The room was adequate and nice extra touches like biscuits and sweets supplied.
The area around the B& B ia lovely with a marina and promenade close by.
The Town Centre looks a little tired though.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyhead
Travelodge Holyhead Hotel
Witchingham Bed & Breakfast
Blackthorn Farm
Blackthorn Farm
#1 of 25 in Holyhead

Been to Wavecrest? Share your experiences!