“Fishguard>Rosslare>Fishguard.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stena Line Limited - Day Trips

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fishguard>Rosslare>Fishguard.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I wanted to buy a large antique rocking horse that was in Southern Ireland- these are difficult to post, and risky to courier, so the only option left was to catch a ferry and hire a van.
I was shocked at the prices for vehicles, but have since learned that the Irish Sea and St George's channel is expensive to cross. [foot/rail passengers can get much cheaper deals] .
My memories of ferries in the past made me anxious about the crossing-I am such a lubberlegs I get motion sick on a bus ride into town.
However, this ship was much larger than the little 3 tonner that had given us our worst ever crossing. The ship is 'old' built 1981, but clean, and the staff are so helpful. My son had worked all day, and driven for 3.5 hrs to catch the 2.45 am ferry crossing, and he was exhausted. We asked if there were any cabins available, and were given a basic tiny two bunk one, [comfortable beds] with en suite loo ,washbaisin and shower. It also had a window. small, but again clean, and the bedding was immaculate. [£32 for the cabin] .

The staff are very helpful, and as they are Irish, have a working knowledge of the local area.

The food was fine, my son had a fry up, and the coffee was good. There were televisions, a large screen [for films] and the deck has plenty of space to walk about. The weather in the Irish Sea can be notoriously rough, but we were lucky and had a non-rough ''moderate'' one.
Compared to the ''gawk buckets'' of my youth, this was miles better.

1 Thank Cathy M

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Gouda, The Netherlands
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great way to arrive well rested at your destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I love traveling with this ferry. I've travelled many times with it already and will keep on doing so in the future.

The best part is for me the kindness of the staff. It starts when arriving at the terminal. You get recognised by your license plate and are greeted by your name. The boarding is quick and simple and directions are given clearly.
*little hint: Don't forget to take your paper near the elevator that says on which deck your car is!

As for the journey, of course it is quite a few hours. It can get a bit boring. Not due to the facilities on the boat but just because it takes a long time. I always prefer day crossings and tend to book a cabin with them. I take an extra long nap and watch some tv.

At dinner time I always eat at the taste restaurant. Plenty of choice in foods (also vegetarian!) and it tastes well. Usually there's a combo deal combining a dish, salad and something to drink.

There are also some bars on board. Tax Free doesn't exist any more when traveling between the UK and the Netherlands, but the bars on board sell duty free pouches of tobacco (1 per person) so if you are a smoker you should definitely consider that offer since it's way cheaper than in the UK.

The shop always has a wide range of gifts available and also sells books and magazines. I'm not too keen on all the bling bling but I'm sure it's nice when you got daughters or a wife that like gifts like that when you get home. Personally I usually buy other things like a travel adapter I forgot to pack or headlamp beam reflectors.

3 Thank Jules v
Orangeville, On
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Night ferry from Harwich to Hoek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Our group of 35 high school students and teachers took the night ferry from Harwich, England to Hoek, NL and it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. I have taken a night train in Europe before so my expectations weren't set very high as I expected this experience to be similar. However, it felt sort of like being on a cruise and would be my choice, hand's down, for night-time travel. The rooms were comfortable with private bathrooms, including a shower and we were awoken in the morning over the PA to the tune of "Don't worry, be happy". A buffet breakfast was included in our ticket and it was excellent with a many different options. I would do this again!

6 Thank Heather N
Cape Town is home
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Most enjoyable and relaxing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I took the day ferry on the inclusive deal ticket from Liverpool Street to any NL rail station. Excellent value for about £50 including a 'seat plus' in the lounge with free tea, biscuits, fruit, and newspaper and magazines.

I also enjoyed a film in the onboard cinema and although I didn't eat, the restaurants looked appetising and good value. The staff are helpful and friendly and it's a lovely way to spend a day and get to Holland.

The worst part of the trip was early morning start (0638) and the scruffy and slow 'Anglia' train from Liverpool Street to Harwich, but that is not the fault of Stena Line.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Mike340
Ancona, Italy
831 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,647 helpful votes
“Comfortable, clean, punctual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

On the Harwich-Hook of Holland crossing (with a "Dutch flyer" ticket), the cabin was far better than I'd expected, and I slept very well. Arrived on time. Helpful crew. The only drawback was the long walk to get on board at Harwich, which I don't suppose is Stena's responsibility.

Beer's expensive on board, so if you want to drink it might be a good idea to bring a few bottles with you.

Visited October 2013