“Great alternative to a train” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stena Line Limited - Day Trips

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great alternative to a train”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We used Stena to travel from England to Netherlands by using their trail and sail package to travel from London by train to Harwich and from there to the Hook of Holland and to Rotterdam by train. The trip was over night. A good heads up would have been to know that there is absolutely nothing to do/see or eat at the Harwich port so it would have been better to grab dinner in London. We got an upgraded room with a larger bed and full bathroom. It was a comfortable over night sail. The train stations were very conveniently located to the ports.

Visited June 2014

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Better food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Travelled to Holyhead the food was too much but very nice much better than their overnight one that used to be the Celtic link! Staff very pleasent

Visited June 2014
north yorkshire
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“A good way to travel into Europe - Harwich to the Hook of Holland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Have used the Stena - Harwich / Hook of Holland on several occasions over the last few years, and have used both ships. Both are well staffed and have good accomodation.

Have travelled both in the daytime and nightime [overnight] crossing. - On balance prefer the overnight - as the sleeping accomadation is good & you can get a good nights sleep before setting off into Europe on arrival at the "Hook". Gentle wake up music, helps you look forward to the day ahead quite refreshed.

During the daytime crossing you seem to be on the boat for quite some time - 7 hours plus - and given that you are on 1 deck [ excluding the outer deck if the weather is nice] you do need to have some measure of entertaining yourselves - by either a good book, laptop,games etc. - although there is a cinema on board - and which we used once a long time ago, but - then - it did not seem to be of good value and poor qulaity [ in fairness it may have changed now]

Some people during the day crossing obtain a cabin which is usually at some discount on the overnight price [ can be as much as 50% discount ] - and useful for "quiet time" as it has a bed, shower facilties and a t.v.

Although we live in "the North" we prefer to travel down to Stena as the prices compared to P & O from Hull to Europort are much cheaper and you have greater booking flexibility.

You can with Stena build in a "flexi fare" for only a little extra - which is useful if you are booking a few months ahead, and you can sometimes benefit from discounts - especially if you become a member of eXtra - a bit like a tesco card - as you can then get price reductions on future crossings using accululated points.

I understand the need for a cabin on overnights - but dont understand why Stena charge an additional £10.00 charge [ usually] for that privelage + a cabin charge - variable depending on your choice of cabin - usually we go for the cheapest - as all we want to do is eat / drink & then sleep .

Talking about Tesco - you can use their points towards this crossing, and can get some savings - although you need to check it out first as there can be some ambiguities, and sometimes the prices are not as attractive - but generally we have found using Tesco points a useful facility.

There is nothing much to choose between the food on both ships in that is is generally expensive, and can fluctuarte in qulaity.

Embarquation & Disembarquation is usually done quite efficently and of course you are not limited to weight restrictions in terms of luggage on board.

Altogether i have found it a good way to travel into Europe - and home again !.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank wfmf
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“One of my favorite events during our Family Spring Break to UK & The Netherlands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting during our family's spring break vacation across the pond but I can honestly say that we had a great experience at a very fair price. We booked online 4 months in advance and paid 366. GBP for the Rail and Sail Package for 4 adults in 2 comfort class, 2-berth cabins with a window plus the breakfast buffet for 4. (Plus an additional 5 GBP for credit card fee)

We took a black cab from our Premier Inn Hotel-Tower Hill to the Liverpool Street train station. (Too much luggage for the 4 of us to deal with plus my back was bothering me). We checked out the signs and walked to the gate for the Harwich International Port station and sat and waited for the next train. Unfortunately, we were sitting in the wrong area and by the time we realized where we should be, the train that we ended up riding was quite full when we jumped on. BIG MISTAKE. Why didn't I think about the fact that we would arrive at the station at afternoon rush hour about 18:00 PM and that the train would be full? Why didn't we just wait to be the first passengers on the next train? Unfortunately, we ended up standing the entire train ride. We stored our bags in the luggage racks and wanted to stay close so we stood and help on. My back was definitely not happy at this point but really and truly, it wasn't ruining my ride. We were standing with some of the friendliest people I could ever meet. I also learned that some of the train cars were quiet cars and no one is supposed to talk in those cars. I'm not a train commuter so I never saw this concept before and I thought the quiet car idea was a smart idea but I'm glad I didn't have to spend the next 1 1/2 hours standing in silence. The train ride was really beautiful. We really enjoyed seeing the country side and listening to some great stories from some really fun people. Note to self, next time wait till after rush hour so you get better seating and you won't have to stand.

We arrived at Harwich International and had to wait about 3 hours till the ticketing office opened so we could check-in. It was a boring wait (but we were sitting down) with nothing to do and nothing to eat so I will reiterate the fact that you shouldn't arrive too early and you may want to bring along some food to enjoy while waiting. I will also add that one of the ticket agents suggested early on that we put our luggage on one of those luggage carriers even tough all of our luggage was swivel wheels. It did help keep our luggage together during the embarkation procedure and there weren't a large number of available carts. If I remember correctly, our luggage went through a scanner too.

We got on the Stena Hollandica and took the elevator to our floor, I think it was the 10th floor, and made our way down the hall to our two cabins. Not a far walk at all. The room was small but definitely not too small for one night. The bed was perfect for my sore back. I really enjoyed the hard bed. I also enjoyed the rocking of the boat. It really put me right to sleep.

We were given free drink coupon so we made our way to the bar and enjoyed taking a walk around the common areas of the ship. There was a small play area for kids and a small casino area next to one of the bars. There were some shops but I wasn't in the mood to shop, especially since we were tired and had to be awake early in the next morning. The restaurant was open for late night dining. We ate some food but there's no way I can remember what we had. It wasn't long before we were fast asleep.

I totally forgot that there's a very loud wake-up call early in the morning and I totally forgot the song that is played but it is guaranteed to wake you up. We made our way to breakfast and it was pretty good. We finished our breakfast just in time to be the final four passengers off the ship. That was a close call.

We made our way through customs and had our passports stamped and walked outside to the Hook of Holland train station. We enjoyed the train ride to Central Station Amsterdam. Remember, this is prime time for Spring blossoms in the Netherlands so the train ride was really really beautiful. I really enjoyed the entire experience. We certainly could have taken a plane flight from London to Amsterdam but, this was so much better. I would highly recommend this excursion. Let me know if my info is helpful.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank 1RoswellMom
Santa Cruz, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Just ok, need to know what you are getting into”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had very high expectation of the London-Amsterdam overnight route due to the stella reviews. it was a very long journey. First, from the hotel we stayed (near Big Ben), we have to train to Liverpool Street station, then another two trains before we board the ship. When the ship docked The next morning, it was another long journey to Amsterdam.
We booked a comfort cabin thinking that it will be a luxurious experience. However, bathroom was small and smelly. The room has a faint smell of toilet. The journey feels very long and I couldn't sleep well. You are not saving anytime compared to flying. If I were to do it again, I would do the express day train or budget airline.

Visited May 2014