“Stone science”

Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Pentraeth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 20 April 2014

For all you people who enjoyed this place I am happy for you but for me I could not even find it my sat nav got me on the right road but I saw no sign posts at all and ended up having a day in Conwy and I won't be going back any time soon it's a shame like but to me it's as if they don't really want to be found .......p Jackson

6  Thank hemliner

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I am writing as an amateur geology interest group facilitator, but my comments would hold true for a family outing.

Nine of us, with geological knowledge ranging from nil to degree level, visited Stone Science as part of our U3A learning experience. What an experience!! David and Delyth Wilson treated us royally and amazed us with their treasury of exhibits and wealth of knowledge.

The Wilsons also have the gift of putting across their knowledge in a way that reached each one of us, from the absolute beginner to the most knowledgable. All of our group have requested a repeat visit as the three hours spent at Stone Science was not enough to see everything properly, which is praise in itself.

In a nutshell, excellent !! Excellent value for money, educational and interesting ... And at the same time fun. Ideal as an alternative holiday day out, a wet weather day out and more.

6  Thank Gerry B
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Dave is not your typical museum owner. His passion for geology is as infectious as his knowledge of fossils and the formation of rock and stone is substantial. He imparts his years of experience with enthusiasm, captivating the imagination of youngsters (and oldies!) in a way that even the best of teachers could only admire. And against this backdrop, despite the early trials of local planning bureaucracy, he has established and put on show a vast collection of geological specimens from as far afield as Morocco and China.

For those more accustomed to visiting plush National museums and galleries with immaculate lighting and surly security guards whose jobs it is to ensure their treasures don't wander, Dave's open displays and home-made settings may come as something of a surprise. But look closely and what you'll find is an Aladdin's cave which invites visitors to become involved in the fascinating world of Geology. And for the modest entrance fee you pay, there's no restriction on the number of times you can return during your holiday. In our case, that was fortunate. He so captivated the imagination of our 12 year-old daughter that we spent a good proportion of the following week's holiday visiting copper mines, slate quarries and beaches in search of fossils, Carnelion, Quartz, Agate, Jasper and various other things we'd learned about, bringing them back for him to identify some days later. And quite unbeknown to us, hidden between two layers of slate in a small sample, we'd found Monograptus Lobiferous, a fossil from the Silurian Age (443-418 million years ago). I'm not sure who was more thrilled, our daughter or Dave!

For those intent on taking a less energetic route to the creation of a fossil collection, there are plenty of collectibles in the small shop to one side of the museum - everything from Ammonites and jewellery to old books on related topics. And in making a purchase, you're likely to get a geology lesson (or in our case, a demonstration - our daughter bought Magnetite) thrown in for free!

To those who have given less than favourable reviews, I can only say you have to look beyond the slightly jaded paintwork and the lighting the National Grid won't allow Dave to increase to get the most from a place like this. We must have been there four or five hours and left with a much greater appreciation of the beautiful mountains and valleys we were to see in the days which followed. No doubt our next visit to Anglesey will see us in the Stone Science Museum again. Meanwhile, Dave is already planning his next fossil hunting expedition to the Atlas mountains of Morocco. We look forward to seeing what he brings back when we return!

7  Thank Twinfly
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have scanned through the reviews and it is interesting that all but two are really impressed with Stone Science. I think the two negatives are unjustified. I am a secondary school A Level Geology teacher, so I would hope that this is the one attraction I have some relevant experience to judge!

We did have to take care finding the place and initially zoomed past it. Some "brown touristy" signs would help. My initial reaction when I saw the venue was "Crikey! It's a big shed" - However, like books and people, you should definitely not judge a book by it's cover. Yes, compared to large city museums, the displays are not as professional - but my children (aged 4, 6 & 10) are thankfully not the Tripadvisor equivalent of Osted inspectors!!! They LOVED the place. The rows of ancient, mustard-coloured cinema seats upstairs gave them somewhere to hide and run around, as much as watch an equally ancient, but entertaining and informative video. Yes, there are books piled up here and there and not every single label is in place. To me, the most important thing is that the children could actually handle some fabulous exhibits - such as reptile vertebrae, coprolites (fossil poo) and a huge variety of minerals. There is entire display case upstairs related to Wren's Nest in Dudley (West Midlands) which an exceptionally preserved, Palaeozoic fossil locality. The range and quality oif specimens would outclass many a museum! From a teacher perspective, the shop offered fabulous value overall compared with internet sites or other museum shops. Some real "gems" - literally! Fossils as cheap as chips and a vast array of minerals - something to suit every pocket. I spent just over £100 on some superb specimens for my school department. The same material would have been at least double that on the internet.

Dave, the owner, is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. So, if you'd like to be pointed in the direction of interesting geological sites on Anglesey, within Wales or beyond, he'll point you in the right direction.

So, if you'd like a quirky, charming little site to while away a few hours, this is the place. It is a pity there are not more places like this to visit elsewhere. If you want Jurassic Park meets Alton Towers, then save your £5 to spend on a refillable 1 litre Coca Cola bottle instead, and blow £40+ on the entry fee!

5  Thank PhilDolding1
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My granddaughter (5) was fascinated by this place. The beautiful mineral and fossil specimens were a source of great delight, but she learned a lot as well. For example, seeing and touching specimens or replicas of dinosaurs and their bones made her realise for the first time that these were not scarry pretend creatures but had actually once lived. And the adults picked up a lot too, even granddad who had spent his whole working life as a geologist. A previous reviewer used the expression 'Aladdin's Cave' - my very words on entering. They just don't do museums like this any more, usually for good reason, but here it works. Yes, though it is literally dusty, it is never boring. The shop is worth sometime as well. The entry charge is minimal and, if you want somewhere to take the kids on a wet Anglesey afternoon, look no further. Drawbacks? Well, you have to keep you eyes open or you will easily pass it as the road sign is none too prominent.

4  Thank Douglas H