“Awesome”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$721.24*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest mountain in Wales (higher than any in England) at 3,560 feet.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

It doesn't matter how often you go, this is a great mountain. If you are used to scrambling then I would recommend the Crib Goch route - a great way to get to the summit - and it is usually quieter. Be warned - if you want to park in Pen y Pass get there early. We got there on a Saturday and it was full at 0740am!. The new cafe on the top is great and even sells 1085 lager (not a good idea really if you're walking back down!)

There are newer reviews for Snowdon

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We climbed on a pretty raining and cold day by the Llambries path. Relativley easy climb, but you do need good walking boots with support. Tough just after the halfway point for about half an hour. If you would like more of a challenge i would recommend the PYG trail

2  Thank annon_10
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I’d like to pass on some info I collated which helps give an overview and alleviate confusion re the terms Mt Snowdon, Snowdonia and the summit; the mountainous area at the foot of Llanberis is a mountain group called the ‘Snowdon Massif’. This is one of three mountain groups in Snowdonia which is a 2,130 km2 National Park. The Snowdon Massif consists of six peaks; Yr Wyddfa 1085m, Garnedd Ugain 1065m, Crib Goch 923m, Y Lliwedd 898m, the lesser climbed Yr Aran 747m and Moel Cynghorion 674m. It is Yr Wyddfa which is known as ‘Mt Snowdon’ and being the highest point, ‘the summit’.

Now that’s out the way I can fly! Don’t get confused by the different tracks. If you haven’t climbed Mt Snowdon before and you’re not a climber just take the Llanberis path up and back and you’ll enjoy the same view as everyone else at the top. If you're a bit more adventurous take the Pyg track. One popular way of doing this is to take a bus from High Street in Llanberis to Pen-y-Pass which has a Youth Hostel, cafe, parking and toilets and acts as a climbing base. The bus fare is £1, is almost 6 miles out of town and you get to see some decent scenery on the way. You'll start the climb using the same route as everyone else until you come to a fork…take the left track which is the Pyg track (see photo). To give you some idea I’m a runner/walker and made it to the summit in 1h 45 with many photo and video stops. I then took the Llanberis path down in 1 hour 15 to the gate and bitumen road which leads back into Llanberis (see photo).

For a clear day I was expecting more people at the summit, there were about two dozen or so hikers but this swells when a train load of passengers get dropped off who get on the train at Llanberis (an expensive £20 one way or £27 return). Whichever path you take make sure you take a photo of yourself with the bench mark in the trig point (triangulation pillar – 4ft concrete pillar) to prove you were there. You’ll notice there are two steel plates on opposite sides of the pillar, apart from the circular plate on top. Make sure you get the plate that says ‘OSBM 1064’ (see photo). This stands for Ordnance Survey Bench Mark (I think the correct term for the plate in the UK is a ‘Flush Bracket’).

I was curious of a pole I saw near the summit on the Pyg track with pennies wedged into it (see photo). I only had 20p with me so I banged it in with a rock. Every July there is the annual Snowdon Race which attracts 100's of participants. The record starting from Padarn Park in Llanberis and following the Llanberis to Snowdon footpath and back is 1:02:29 (10miles) by Englishman Kenny Stuart. Andi Jones is also a multiple winner who still competes.

6  Thank Martin C
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The six of us decided to take the Pyg track up and the Miners track down. Four children (ages 9 to 15) and two adults both not having climbed for 20+ years. The route is well within the capabilities of most reasonably fit ( or not too unfit) people, but we were very tired by the end of it. Taking this route does mean that you start well over 1000 feet up, so less vertical distance to climb, and on the way back it is a very easy path for the last mile or so. We arrived at Pen y pass car park at 9.45 to find it full, so parked in the first lay-by down the road and caught the bus. It works out cheaper than paying for the car park! The bus service is very regular in the summer months and was still running when we returned gone 6pm. Café at the top reasonably priced and good quality.

3  Thank RobertFGCarter
Reviewed 30 May 2014

As novices go climbing mountains we asked which was the best route. Turned out to be the Llanberis route but what a challenge it was.

Yes my wife and I said we always wanted to do it and I heard on the reviews that the beginning was the hardest part. The beginning was hard and that was not even the start of the route yet!
Nothing prepared us for the challenge we were undertaking. Turned out to be under 10 miles in total for the entire route.

When we arrived to the top and went in the cafe/train terminus it was like entering a tourist shop! So busy when the route to there was calm. At least we had a warm drink before heading back and there were toilets there too!

It took 4 hours to go up and 2 to go down.
The views were amazing though and we are planning to do it again.

Enjoy your time, Make sure you go early.

1  Thank LucasWorld