“Glad we took the train up :-)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
US$666.27*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest mountain in Wales (higher than any in England) at 3,560 feet.
Binfield
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Glad we took the train up :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Loved it. Had decided on the train up because as much as I love a challenge I'm not a great lover of a hill! The steam train 'Enid' was such a meandering treat and took us all the way up to the top in about an hour. We then had a hot chocolate and a Welsh Pie, climbed the short distance to the peak and admired the stunning views. To start with we were in the clouds but that soon moved and we were treated to gorgeous sunshine! Yes it was cold and blustery but we all loved the contrast. Walking down was great fun and affirmed the decision of the train as we passed many people clearly struggling up the Llanberis path, some I'm sure would not make it to the top. We also passed lots of families with really small children who were obviously very grumpy and tired, I can't imagine they were having much fun. The last part of the walk down was on a very steep road and my youngest son struggled with his legs a bit. My eldest two teenagers had decided to race us down and were happily sitting in the cafe at the station waiting for us to return. All in all a great day out for all of the family.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Sharon K

• Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Rhyd Ddu Path”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Travelled from South Wales over August Bank Holiday weekend, we arrived at the carpark of the Rhyd Ddu path on Sunday morning at 9am.
£5 needed in coins for parking.
The area is well sign-posted so you know where the route begins; firstly you need to cross the railway line.
There are plenty of farmer's gates to open & close along the way; it gets quite steep just over the 2 mile point (we used a gps tracker on iPhone). The views are spectacular.
Just before you get to the top there are tricky rocks to climb; we were lucky on the way up with calm weather however it did start raining on the way down and this made it slippery, so be careful.
I have previously climbed Pen Y Fan (Brecon Beacons) and was expecting a similar rock with the mountain's height on for a photo opportunity here, however I was quite disappointed at the top that the only mention of how high you've climbed is engraved onto the wall of the cafe - it's not quite the same effect as Pen Y Fan has.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the trek, it took myself & my partner 4 hours in total and my iPhone app tracked us to have walked 7.7miles.

2 Thank kerryspoonerxx
Batley, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Be prepared ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Not a mountain to be taken with a pinch of salt. We did the Llanberis path .. The tourist route. Fairly steady going until you get to the second railway crossing then it gets tough. Be prepared for a sudden change in weather too .... All was fine and clear then the clouds suddenly appeared over the top and that was it .... Rain rain rain with no visibility at the top. Expect crowds too ... The cafe at the top was packed with hundreds of people squashed in. Good hike though.

1 Thank Kevin C
Bracknell, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Exceptional view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Spent whole week around the national park! Beautiful villages and wonderful views! Excellent for hiking and cycling,as we were traveling with young children,driving and taking trains are the best option! It's freezing cold and extremely windy on the summit of Snowdon,make sure you wrap up warm,even in the summer! There are plenty things to do for the kids and adults!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Fionaying
Leicester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Llanberis Path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We are amateur walkers to put it mildly, but went very well prepared with lots of food, layers,walking boots etc...and they were needed! This is the "easy" route up the mountain but there are some really tough parts so you need to be in reasonably good health to manage it and I did struggle a bit,but the stunning views were so worth it. If you're scared of heights some parts are a bit hair raising...my poor hubby was on his hands and knees getting to the summit bless him :) I must mention the "Half way house cafe" where we stopped on the way back down....The lady was extremely rude to me as I was queueing for the toilet after my family had purchased drinks and were waiting for me,she tapped on the sign on the wall that informed the conveniences were for customers and it was 50p for others and spoke to me like a 5 year old...I told her I WAS a customer and she walked off with no apology...very rude and I would rather do a Bear Grylls and drink from the river or worse than ever give her my money again! Aside from that,if you're fit enough definately climb Snowdon before you die,I don't regret it and will remember it forever...but do go prepared,it's blumming hard work and cold up there....The trains for cheats,lol :)

4 Thank missfishlash