“Good hotel in a great spot”
Review of Royal Goat Hotel

Royal Goat Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beddgelert
Reviewed 4 July 2012

The Royal Goat is nothing fancy, but it doesn't pretend to be. Our room was large and very comfortable even if the furnishings were a bit out of date. Staff were welcoming and we didn't have any problems getting served a friendly and efficient dinner in the restaurant. The hotel sits in a great spot overlooking the village of Beddgelert, which is a wonderful little place if you want to walk up Snowdon or simply get away from the world for a bit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2012

OK, we didn't nickname it Goaty Towers for nothing - but it was very good all round, and the staff were outstanding - helpful, pleasant, friendly and competent.

Altogether there were 8 adults and five children under 8 in our party, in four rooms. We did strain the restaurant rather when we all sat down to dinner (Jubilee weekend Sunday), and the food did take a long time to come - but when it did it was excellent. I'm just sorry I didn't notice Goat was on the menu until too late! The menu was very extensive, with daily specials too.

The rooms are what you'd expect in a hotel of this age (100 years or so?). All different, a few quirks. Ours was fine - enough space, enough storage, a comfortable bed and all very clean. The odd bit fell off our shower, but nothing unfixable.

There's lots of public space on the ground floor too - good for children to roam!

Yes, we will very happily return to the Got if we are in the area again (and Beddgelert is a lovely village).

Room Tip: We were in room 14, facing East at the front. It was good - some rooms have a much more restricted v...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We had a large room, comfortable bed, plenty of light to read by, room darkening shades. We ate dinner in the hotel twice (above average food, excellent ale), but skipped their expensive breakfast. The hotel is well located for Snowdonia and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I was working nearby and stayed here for the night. Normally when I work away I'm in big cities so it was a great to be in what has to be one of the best locations in the country and I even a managed a few hours walk in the evening.
Great helpfull staff, a good sized comfy room and a decent brakfast. I also got a lamb casserole in the evening that was very good. I'll probably return sometime to go walking or biking.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

A party of 6 of us stayed here for a Walking / Climbing / Stag weekend.

Good food / Nice rooms / Friendly staff.........A real bargain.

What more can I say .....Excellent.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Firstly the hotel is in a beautiful part of Wales and ideal for walkers taking on the challenges of snowdonia. The hotel is clean and the staff are very pleasant, though sometimes I felt a little invisible to them when they were talking in welsh. But it is their language and I think I felt a little ignorant that I couldn't understand a single word rather than they were being rude.
The food in the restaraunt is excellent and I can recommend the T Bone steak, the locally grown mushrooms that accompanied were the best ive ever tasted!
My only criticisms are if you are put in room 20 don't take the bed nearest the window, the springs are completely shot! And the sink in the en-suite is small and it's hard to wash your face without soaking the floor.
WIFI in the rooms would be good but that is just a personal thing for me.
To summarise the royal goat is very clean with good food and staff and I will certainly stay again when I'm walking in snowdonia.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Went for the weekend as an Anniversery getaway. First thingwe noticed was the scented candles burning everywhere to get rid of the mell of damp. Check in was quick and efficient and we were given a room on the 1st floor. One double bed one single. Cheap quality beds and furniture fittings. Large pine "box" wardrobe with no shelving, ceval mirror, dressor and 3 sets of drawers. Rather unpleasant faded pink curtains with pattern in yellow and faded yellow wallpaper with leaf pattern. The room could have been very well appointed, as the room height must have been around 9 feet, but did not appear to have seen a makeover since the '60's. A nasty old sliding door rather spoiled the effect of a very nice shower/en-suite looked fairly new, but had been put in on a "raised" dais to get the plumbing in underneath. This gave an 8 inch or so step up to the bathroom and the floor creaked dreadfully. This must be general through the hotel as we could hear the same noises from the room above - in fact we could hear them using the lav. Had to run the shower for 20 minutes or so to get any hot water in the early evening through, and after a long day walking Snowden I really needed that shower.

We did not eat here in the evening as the prices were a bit steep for us. I expect to pay betwee £8 and 14 pounds for mains in a place like this. No good glassware or napery on rather cheap tables. so £18.00 for a steak was a bit excessive for me.

Breakfast was very good full fry up if required - but beans, black pudding and fried bread were "extra"

Service was very good and friendly and was the only thing that stopped me from giving this 2 stars not 3. It has all the appearance of a "family run" B&B posing as something else.

at £82.50 for B&B we expected more - doubt I would go back. there are many more places in the town.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GreenGlassGoblin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beddgelert
Swallow Falls Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Bryn Eglwys Country House Hotel
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
Travelodge Porthmadog Hotel

Been to Royal Goat Hotel? Share your experiences!