“Mediocre, over-priced, but I still love Beddgelert” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Royal Goat Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beddgelert
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Mediocre, over-priced, but I still love Beddgelert”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is the first time I've stayed in Beddgelert, so maybe my idea of the comparative value is skewed. However, compared to everywhere else I've stayed in North Wales, this is overpriced. There were a few distinguishing characteristics of an old building, offset by the charms, but the biggest problem was the state of the décor. It is really worn and dated everywhere. In the room, things were loose or falling off or not working; nothing dangerous but not what you expect at £90 a night. It just felt like no one had cared for the place for a long while. The staff were no more or less than should be expected; can't fault them but can't praise them, which for me is fine.

I've always been curious about the place when passing through, so in that sense I am glad to have stayed, but I won't go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here overnight with a coach trip to Ireland. The room was clean and comfortable. For the evening meal we chose lamb. The lamb was served in a metal dish on a dinner plate. The lamb was very tender and nice but the vegetables were almost non existent. I had a very small piece of potato hidden amongst the lamb and we were given a vegetable dish with three small pieces of cauliflower and some purple shredded cabbage between four of us. The pudding we all had was sponge and custard, the sponge was ok but the custard was no more than a tablespoon ful. The breakfast was better. I doubt if I would be spending a night here independently.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Recommended by friends we chose this as our first stop in the Snowdonia National Park in the village of Beddgelert a beautiful village steeped in history and quaint cottages built on both sides of a meandering river.The Goat Hotel stands proudly a few moments walk from the village bridge on a bend and painted creamy white,it is very easy to find.We were warmly welcomed at reception and were given a double room on the first floor with a pleasant view of the village.All the needed mod cons and en-suite bathroom made for a comfortable stay overnight,The restaurant was open for dinner with quite a comprehensive menu and reasonably priced wines to choose from.Service was fast and friendly by the same young lady who has checked us in she is from Romania and her husband is one of the chefs here. Breakfast was offered in a large room with chandeliers and was more than plentiful,clean and restful we would certainly return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank talentpicker
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. We were travelling to Ireland on a coach tour. The hotel is set in a lovely picturesque spot in Wales, in the Snowdonia valley.
The reception was very efficient on our arrival. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The evening meal and breakfast was first class with plenty of choice. The staff were very efficient and eager to please. This is very nice hotel and would be very happy to return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front of the hotel and we have no complaints about it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had a great stay at the Goat over Easter.
Great staff, great place and great food!

We had a lovely room with plenty of space.
All the staff are really helpful.
Breakfasts are lovely, Dinners declicious!

Will be staying again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hampshire, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just stayed here and enjoyed one of their winter breaks. Absolutely first class food and customer service and very inexpensive too. Friendly and flexible, with a nice hot bath to sooth my aching legs after walking the hills. Slightly vintage decor gives it a certain charm but I could not fault the package. They deserve to be busier...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JonBrown13
North West
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Back in September 2013 I booked a Christmas Break at this hotel, for my wife and I, arriving on the 24th December and departing on the 27th,
Two weeks before we were due to go they emailed and said they had double booked and would we mind going to another guest house in the village. We did not want this. We cancelled and received our deposit back.
We received no other explanation nor apology. My wife wrote to the manager explaining that the service we were receiving was very below par and as they had informed us so late of the double booking we were unable to find somewhere else to spend the Christmas period. My wife went on to say that The Royal Goat Hotel had in effect ruined our Christmas.
I am not surprised to have to report that we have not had a reply to this letter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank garrydlaine2912
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beddgelert
Bryn Eglwys Country House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,375 reviews
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Royal Goat Hotel? Share your experiences!