Craflwyn Hall
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Royal Goat Hotel(Beddgelert)
View Hotel
Pen Y Gwryd Hotel(Nant Gwynant)
  • Pool
Kings Head Hotel(Blaenau Ffestiniog)
Dol Peris(Llanberis)
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat countrydrying roombreakfast was excellentwalking holidaylovely locationpacked lunchminute walkstayed here for nightsowenclimberswalkersbedroomaccommodationsnowdoniawalks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Craflwyn Hall was in the right location for a few days break in the mountains and although the on-line reviews were largely good, the sub-text of this being an HF (Holiday Fellowship) venue tended to make me think I had made a mistake to book -- 'youth hostelling for grown-ups', so to speak... perhaps a bit prescriptive and Spartan... no mod cons? Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. Warm, welcoming room with ensuite in the Annex, which is a stable conversion done to high standard. TV included: although the walls in the Annex are not so thick that you can't hear nextdoor's. Super hot shower, though, and heat to radiator available anytime of day... specially important if you've come back from the wilds cold, wet and need to dry off clothes (they also have a designated 'bulk' drying room for boots etc). I hate those hotels where there's no hot water or room heat until 6-7pm! The Hall itself, its lounges and dining areas, is bright, spacious and architecturally characterful. I didn't dine but can vouch that the breakfasts are stupendous and the staff friendly and most helpful. Key thing...be prepared to mix a bit. Dining tends to be 'hostel fashion' at communal tables so there's no excessive respect for 'personal space' .The Hall caters for adult groups who all seem to know eachother so it can make the casual single traveller feel slightly out of the mainstream of the place. But the atmosphere is invariably friendly and interesting. With these minor provisos, I'd recommend Craflwyn to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mrpaull2
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Just back from a week's walking here with HF. I would recommend it. The staff were very good, and the house manager very helpful and professional. Food is good and the choices were pleasant. I had a room in the main house which was very nice, a twin room with a huge bathroom (the space here was a bit wasted as no bath, but understand the National Trust don't easily allow changes). Most of the rooms in the main house and in the annex seemed acceptable. Some little extras like a box of tissues in the bedroom would be welcome, but really everything else was good - nice fluffy towels, good beds and bedding and nice decor. The walking in the area is superb and all levels are catered for. The village of Beddgelert is a 15-20 minute walk from the house, along a pleasant track and here there are many nice little shops and tea rooms. A beautiful part of the country!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are better on a rainy day, but the annex rooms are also very pleasant and just a short walk from the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Having read a few prior reviews, I was slightly concerned what to expect from this HF House.
I need not have worried. Our room in the main house was spacious and comfortable, food was superb ( as always on HF Holidays) and the staff were really helpful and always smiling. I think the house has had a problem owing to lack of continuity of management, with a succession of relief managers, but this has apparently now been resolved with a new manager due to start shortly. Whilst the place could do with some updating and improvement this is outside the control of HF as the house is on a short lease from the National Trust who are very restrictive as to what can be done.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are more convenient for the main facilities.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin R
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This is a beautiful building in a lovely location. It is leased by HF Holidays from the National Trust and its position in Snowdonia is stunning. One walk started on the Pyg track up Snowden then along the South Ridge and on footpaths right back to the hotel. The walking and sociability was, as you would expect with HF, excellent. On a location and walking review only I would have given five stars. But and it is a big but the running of this hotel was very poor.

The main public rooms were infested with moths and none of the staff seemed to notice. Our bathroom was not cleaned in all the seven days we stayed their. One evening during the week I had to hunt out a member of staff for extra toilet rolls! As regards food we ran out of vegetables two nights running at dinner and were told in no uncertain terms that there were no more. On the first day I asked for a boiled egg, after half an hour waiting I went to a member of waiting staff to ask politely where it was. The Chef heard my request and shouted at me that boiled eggs were special order. Unusually for HF bread rolls were only available for those people that had ordered soup for dinner. I ordered a caesar salad for my main course one evening, bear in mind I had been walking all day, what showed up was a plate of iceberg lettuce with a small sprinkling of cheeese - there was nothing else on the plate! When I asked for some dressing for the salad I was told there was none, then when I asked simply for oil and vinegar I was told they had none. There was no fresh fruit or muesili for breakfast. At the end of the week there was hardly any food for the self-service packed lunch. I could go on ....

I will certainly return to this hotel in the future because of the excellent holidays I have always had with HF in the past and its location. But sincerely hope the organisation sorts out the running of the establishment in the meantime.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JennyDL
Sarah D, HF Holidays Ltd at Craflwyn Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay at Craflwyn Hall. Your comments have been taken on board and will be addressed.

We hope that we can welcome you back to Craflwyn Hall in the future and assure you of our best attention.

Sarah Davis, Research & Quality Manager, HF Holidays Ltd.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We had a week here on holiday painting course with three excursions. Dinners mostly very good. Staff did not empty the overflowing tiny pedal waste bins for paper towels in ground floor toilets nor fill soap dispensers, nor empty waste bin in room we used as studio (until asked after a few days, then did not do so again) they just did not check these things, although generally they were very pleasant and helpful. Beautiful location for walking but facilities for indoor painting on non-excursion and wet days quite inadequate - 6 of us crammed round a table with not enough room for gear and no room to move around, also no hot drinks available in day time except in room. Perhaps appointment of a permanent manager will sort out housekeeping routine - currently under relief manager (very nice) who perhaps does not have enough support or direction.No sign of cafe or restaurant referred to in last year's reviews - perhaps this only operates in peak periods?.

Room Tip: In May taps in Rooms 4 and 5 in main house provided a tiny trickle which cut off at once - impossible to wash in basin, clean teeth easily, and little improvement after manager asked handiman to try to adjust taps. Rooms in stable annexe reported to be better equipped.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple