We booked this hotel at the last minute and how fortunate we were that they had availability. After a very long and difficult journey I was slightly nervous of the road leading to the hotel and the driveway as most reviews mentioned this - I can't say it was my favourite bit of our stay but as long as you take it slowly, there really isn't anything to worry about. I did it all again the following day and it really isn't as bad as you might think. I had my husband take a photo and was pleasantly surprised by how much space there actually was around the car.
On arrival, we were warmly greeted first by the owner’s cats (relaxing in the sun at the top of the drive), then by their recently adopted Highland terrier and finally, by Ruth. We were shown to our room with a mini tour thrown in for good measure and, by the time we had unloaded the car, felt thoroughly relaxed and at home. The animals do not come into the hotel and I think Ruth and her team have more issues with sheep eating the flowers in the garden than the cats trying to sneak in for a cuddle.
The room we stayed in (No 7) was very pleasant and had a lovely patio area out the back with a view over the mountains. If I had to find fault I would say that the furniture and decor is a little dated but, did it impact my stay, not at all. There was plenty of hot water, clean towels, a hair dryer, tea and coffee making facilities and even biscuits - you don't get that in many modern hotels...
We came down for dinner at around 1830 hrs and, after a gin and tonic in the bar, were given the choice of tables in the conservatory or the dining room. The food was amazing and the wine list had clearly been carefully considered as there was something to go with everything on the menu. I started with the goat's cheese salad and my husband had the homemade mackerel pate - both were lovely. We both had the lamb shank and it really did live up to the reviews - beautiful.
After dinner was a little strange as you feel like you are staying in someone's house without having to socialise with them! We found ourselves a little corner to finish our drinks and natter but, if we were to go to Sygun Fawr again, I would pack some cards or a board game. The hotel is incredibly peaceful which is great but, being used to the hustle and bustle of London, complete silence freaked me out a bit!
Breakfast the following morning set us up for our climb up Snowdon (main car park is a 15 min drive from the hotel – get there early as it fills up quickly and make sure you have cash) and, despite forgetting to order it the night before, providing a packed lunch was no problem and we both had yummy ham sandwiches with doorstop bread. You can help yourself to fruit from the breakfast selection as well. The breakfast was very good with plenty of tea and coffee, cereal, fruit, fruit juice and toast. A full fry up went down very nicely and it was the perfect sized portion although there are plenty of other options if you prefer.
You are asked while you are having breakfast whether you will be staying for dinner and, if so, what you would like to order. This did throw me a bit as I never know in the morning what I will fancy in the evening but it wasn't a real issue and, as everything is cooked fresh, I can understand why they do it.
I can't remember what starter we both had on the second night but we both had the steak for our main and it was probably one of the best steaks I've had in a long time. It was cooked exactly how I asked for it (medium rare and my husband medium well) and it was served with lovely homemade chips.
Everyone at the hotel was very friendly, we all got into the habit of saying good morning etc to each other and the staff are incredible. Nothing is too much trouble and they seem to really enjoy engaging with the guests. There is a TV room if you want to catch up but we didn't bother - very nice not to have the TV for a few days. You can get Wi-Fi pretty easily in the bar and conservatory but don't both in the dining room or bedrooms, the walls are too thick. There are walking maps and weather forecasts up on the notice board and a selection of brochures available if you are unsure what you would like to do or what is available. The village is a short walk / drive away (there is a better walking route than the road which Ruth will tell you) and, having seen the other hotels in the area, I was so pleased that we were tucked away in Sygun Fawr.
Do beware, it would appear that Welsh midges are as vicious as Scottish ones as I found out the hard way – insect repellent is recommended…
I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends and hopefully we will have a chance to go back at some stage.
Thank you for a wonderful stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sygun Fawr is located in the heart of North Wales' beautiful Snowdonia National Park, just a short walk away from the picturesque village of Beddgelert.Set within 22 acres of mountainside and gardens, peace and tranquillity are assured at this ultimate mountain retreat offering an idyllic setting for exploring the magnificent natural beauty and the dramatic scenery of North Wales' coasts and mountains.Located in an unrivalled position our style is relaxed, friendly and informal and is the ideal base for walking, mountain biking, relaxing or touring the nearby castles and historical sites. There is something to suit all tastes in this beautiful part of Wales.Nestled into the hillside and built of solid stone, Sygun Fawr has exposed walls, oak beams and inglenooks, which all add to the traditional character, ambience and atmosphere of this unique country house.We offer bed and breakfast with the option of dinner and have a residential licence - our restaurant has featured in the Michelin Guide for 5 consecutive years. We aim to make your visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Sygun Fawr has a home from home atmosphere and we are sure that you will enjoy your stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers and Hotels.com so you can book your Sygun Fawr Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sygun Fawr Country House Hotel Beddgelert
- Sygun Fawr Country House Beddgelert, Snowdonia National Park