“A pleasant surprise!!!”

nj
“A pleasant surprise!!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Tan Dinas House is a welcome home away from home. The thoughtful warm nature of
Eileen and John made us feel comfortable immediately. Breakfast was a morning treat with smoked salmon scrambled eggs for me and a full English breakfast for my husband. Our days activities were made more interesting with a thoughtful table of local reading materials, bird books, nature guides, garden pamphlets etc. We were able to identify the doves we had spotted and trees we were wondering about.... We would recommend Tan Dinas House!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alanabotanical

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
UK
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We recently stayed at Tan Dinas - a gem of a B&B set in a rural setting on the edge of Betws y Coed. Eileen and John were just the nicest and most hospitable hosts you could wish for, nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms were tastefully decorated and the views to the front of the property were like a picture postcard, words can't describe how beautiful it was. We also had two teenage children who stayed in an adjacent room. The breakfasts cooked by John and served by the lovely Eileen were of the finest local produce and worth getting up early for - views again from the breakfast room over the valley! After breakfast on the last day we took a beautiful stroll into the woods nearby and visited one of the many waterfalls. We only wish we could have stayed longer - that was our only critisism - we had to go home. See you again John & Eileen - and thank you!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank harris_herondene
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Anyone "thinking" about a trip to Wales, a hike to Snowdonia, a walk around the Welsh countryside, riding....do it and stay here at Tan Dinas with Eileen and John. The town is idyllic and small, local game, babbling brook, quaint and aesthetic architecture. A train station with a children's station right next to it...charming.

Tan Dinas is a beautiful, warm, inviting and cozy property at the end or at the very beginning and the view is spectacular. My room was very comfortable with a wonderful soft water shower that left my skin and hair remarkable. Your hosts are evolved individuals; at peace, charming, very kind, intelligent and very funny...Eileen is a brilliant conversationalist. I highly recommend this trip. I did it alone training from London and it is very easy and affordable. The landscape is inviting, mysterious and unforgettable. Unlike any place in the world. Stay at Tan Dinas and hike Snowdon.

If you like to ride or even interested in riding there is a worthwhile trail ride that Tan Dinas can connect you too. The property owner is Cindy who has hundreds of animals and a super gorgeous view. The horses are safe, centered and good movers. The views are spectacular and you can't miss Arthur the sheep who acts and behaves like a dog.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Gold Caost
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Liked it that much we went back....A wonderful period house in the country just a short walk from the center of Betws y Coed. A freindly welcome with a quick tour of the garden and views is a great way to start your stay, we were originally staying for three nights but decided to extend to seven as there was so much to see in the area. The view from the dining room breakfast table says it all... country peace and quiet. Many walks are started from the front door off through the forest, down town, country lanes etc... For those driving (as we all do) it is easy to find and allowing for quick acces to the more distant attractions. The hosts are very helpful and friendly with loads of information about the surrounding area and many of the popular attractions in northern Wales. A hearty English breakfast is served for those planning a big day of sight seeing or walking. the rooms are comfortable and cosy, warming you after a brisk walk in the forest or leisurely stroll back from the restaurants in town in the evening. A very pleasant place to stay and to use as a base for exploring northern Wales, we can thoroughly recommend this bed and breakfast to any traveller

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
wiltshire
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Just arrived home after fabulous few days in Betws y Coed. The autumn colours were amazing and you can enjoy them from Tan Dinas's dining room.
Wonderful welcome from Eileen and John and service and breakfast to match. Try the scrambled egg and salmon.
Great locations within reach including Bodnant gardens. John and Eileen will give you top tips to help you get the most from your stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bracken03
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I live in B&B's for months at a time as I bring small groups on tours to the UK and Ireland. There are just some places that leave wonderful memories in the hearts of the "Pilgrims" who travel with me. Tan Dinas is one of those very fine places. What a lovely, quiet setting Tan Dinas offers. The house sits above the lovely town of Betws y Coed in North Wales which can be full of tourists in the summer and early fall. Tan Dinas rises above it all in comfort and elegance and gracious hospitalilty.
Eileen and John who purchased Tan Dinas only last year have done a fabulous job with the redecorating of the house. The rooms have been beautifully decorated and they have great new televisions with Sky TV to add to the relaxation. The en suite bathrooms are all newly fitted with terrific showers and lots of space. The gardens are well kept with a patio for tables and chairs in which to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet and lovely views.
They offer free wifi for internet users.
The breakfast is very generous with fresh fruit salads, yogurts and cereals and a selection of well cooked breakfast items as well. They aim to please.
We found complete comfort at Tan Dinas. Eileen and John gave us great advice on places to visit and made us feel so at home. The price was great too. Be sure to check out their website and see pictures of the site. It really is just as lovely as the pictures show and you will find even more so when you arrive and are welcomed by your hosts.
I am always so grateful for places like this. I know my tour guests will always feel welcomed and find great comfort at Tan Dinas. I know I can always count on the same quality in the years to come.
Big Thumbs Up for Tan Dinas Country House and for Eileen and John!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank missbean2
Cambridge
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Took my mum away for a late birthday treat in September 2009, and was very pleasantly surprised. I really don't have anything negative to say about Tan Dinas:

(1.) The value-for-money was excellent. Easily one of the best value locations in Betws-y-Coed.

(2.) The view from the front of the house across to the other side of the valley was gorgeous. It was a pleasure to wake up to in the morning.

(3.) The location was ideal: 5 minutes' walk from the main bridge in Betws-y-Coed. This avoids the crowds and noise on busy days.

(4.) Eileen and John were very friendly and helpful. We got many tips for our days out. There are maps and umbrellas available to borrow for walks - there are a pair of binoculars and guides to trees and wildlife too. It stood out also that Eileen was extremely helpful with directions - my mother was coming from a different part of the country to me, and doesn't have internet, but Eileen must have taken 10 or 15 minutes spelling out clear and accurate directions to get to the B&B from Liverpool.

(5.) Wireless internet was free and fast. We were able to easily watch BBC IPlayer one evening. There was also a good LCD TV and DVD player in the room.

(6.) Very (very) quiet - very restful. No sound in the room, and the only major sound when we opened our window in the morning was a gurgling stream (some distant road sounds from the road running through Betws-y-Coed too). I normally need earplugs when I sleep in hotels/B&Bs, but didn't need to use them here. Beds very comfortable too - nothing cheap. I have asthma, and again often have problems with this when staying in B&Bs, but this wasn't an issue at all here.

(7.) En-suite bathroom modern and clean - large shower with good power.

(8.) Delicious large breakfasts - great for a greedy pig like me! In some B&Bs the breakfasts can be mean - but definitely not here.

(9.) The building itself is very pretty, with well-tended gardens.

(10.) Lots of parking space - no problem at all.

(11.) I've stayed at a couple of places in Betws-y-Coed before (won't name them) and the difference between this place and them is huge. I've never written a review before, but was moved to write one for this place due to how outstanding it was.

Views on the location in general:

(1.) Walks around Betws-y-Coed are great - one up to a nearby lake stands out, but there is a shorter easier one just down the road from the B&B too.

(2.) If you do need a gym when you go away (as I did), one is available in the village for £8 a session.

(3.) We ate at the Bistro in Betws-y-Coed one evening: good food, good service, comparatively expensive to other places in Betws-y-Coed, but well worth it.

(4.) We ate at the restaurant/pub in the Royal Oak the next evening - wouldn't recommend this one though - poor food and service (one portion of fish I had was clearly cold, but I didn't complain as I never do). No-one came to clear our plates away when we had finished, so we were left sitting there with them for half-an-hour before leaving. Table was greasy too - I had a book with me and the back of the jacket is now stained. My mother and I both had upset stomachs after eating here. To be fair though, this is probably a good place to come if you are mainly just after booze and aren't bothered about the food or service - some people outside were getting merry, so the atmosphere wasn't bad.

I'm definitely coming back with my wife to Tan Dinas later in the year.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family