“Avoid the baguette” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ty Gwyn
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Avoid the baguette”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Attractive old looking pub just outside the village with quaint rooms full of character. Good choice menu ranging from sandwiches to full meals and some very good ales. We went at lunchtime and just wanted something light - my wife had a confit duck salad which was fine - I opted for a baguette. What arrived was a very large baguette - bordering on a small loaf which was impossible to get your mouth round. It was all bread and little content - In the end I discarded the baguette and just had the cheese with the accompanying salad. I have eaten here before and thought it was very good but I would avoid the baguette in future.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
Liverpool
“what a menu!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Fantastically friendly and professional staff,especially welsh/french Celine!
Menu overpowering, so many choices, but all great. Could do with being easier to read, or split into fish/meat sections, or even just less options. Good value for money. Definitely would eat there again. Very cosy bar area.

Wrexham County, United Kingdom
“Awesome steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Lovely old building in a great spot just the other side of the Waterloo bridge, well within a nice short stroll of the middle of the village. Unfortunately the parking here is very limited (a small car park and some space on the road - you will struggle) The service here was very hit and miss. When we walked in a guy was talking to a woman and they ignored us and carried on with their conversation until they had finished. We then realised that they both worked there. The guy showed us to our table by pointing to it from afar and telling us it was over there in the corner. Then the woman came over and asked us if we wanted anything to drink while we perused the menu which was a sheet of A4 paper. At this point we were starting to get worried as we had not been given a wine / drink list yet. Things then started looking up. We were given a complimentary apetiser which was gorgeous. Then when the wine came it was very good and the staff started to get a bit friendlier. My wife had the sirloin and I had the Ty Gwyn Stack. It was without doubt one of the best meals we have ever had. It was absolutely delicious. The steaks were very big and perfect. The flavours were out of this world. The price was very reasonable also. Desserts were just as good. The food in this place is among the best I have ever tasted. The only thing that let it down was the service. The best way I could describe it was indifferent. They were polite and attentive, but really need to put a bit of effort into it. I would strongly recommend it (in fact I already have to a couple of friends). Well worth it and I can't stop raving about the food!

Rugby, United Kingdom
“Worth a try.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Dined in the restaurant on a Sun evening. Food was quite good but some odd combinations. Portions of meat are huge! Worth a try if you like large portions and want something different. Staff were friendly and helpful, although the owner was a bit grumpy.

Visited May 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location for a special meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Staying in a cottage a few miles away, we were recommended the Ty Gywn for a fantastic place to celebrate my fiancés 40th birthday. What a great place. The food was delicious, the service was great. Did not feel rushed to finish, but felt our needs we're met by the staff.
Hoping to return to the cottage and I'm sure we'll be back to sample more of the extensive menu.