“What a gem - you should go”
Review of Ty Gwyn Hotel

Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Staying at local B&B we were advised to give Ty Gwyn a go but you would have to book.
We didn't and they were right, its so popular that even on a Monday night we couldn't get in!
So we booked for the following evening and we were not disapointed. We choose to eat in the bar area which was OK especially if there are a few of you but its not as intimate as the restaurant area.
Met the chef who was doing the round in an informal friendly way and tried his coriander, lettuce and mushroom soup as a starter and it was amazing.
We were so impressed we booked for the following eveing but sat in the resturant area this time which was nicer. Choose the Thai curry this time and considering we've travelled around Thailand over the last few years I would have to concede that this was by far the best I have ever tasted! Staff attentive and thanks especially to Harry for making use feel so welcome

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was very disappointed on my most recent visit to this roadside coaching inn. I found the welcome less than warm and was generally disappointed with the entire visit.

The menu is too large with several mismatches on offer, for instance there is a Thai curry (vegetarian option or chicken), served with pilau rice and a poppadom! Thai & India together!

Our table had not been wiped when we sat down and was not cleaned before we ate. My starter was scallop (sic), crayfish & prawn St. Jaque (sic), This was two scallops both with large roe still attached, no crayfish & several small shrimps in a very dry, potato edged scallop shell, the sauce being non existant.

Drinks were served in dirty glasses, water stained & lip marks.

My main course of local poached salmon with smoked salmon & a hollandaise sauce that had no flavour at all. The smoked salmon was very salty.

Standards seemed to have slipped considerably since my last visits to this part of Wales.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Didn't like this place at all. The restaurant was old, dark and dingy and the place felt dirty. The meal was edible but not enjoyable. I know it supposed to be an old coach house but the furniture, rugs and general décor should have been replaced decades ago. Would not go back there.

2  Thank coffeechief
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A very relaxing individual restaurant with very old world charm. Extensive menu and food was excellent. Service was rely good and attentive and very friendly. Being a member of CAMRA I was happy to see real ale on sale and the Orme bitter was superb.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great restaurant, loved it. Catered for a large party from our office. Food was great, plenty of choice and service was excellent.