“Among the best in Betws-y-Coed”

Riverside Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 30 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our restaurant overlooks the River Conwy at the edge of Betws-y-Coed in the Snowdonia National Park, and is open to non-residents for: •Bistro Lunch •Afternoon Teas •Evening Restaurant .Every year since 2006 we have received the coveted AA Rosette award for culinary excellence in addition to the Taste of Wales recognition. Wales offers such an abundance of quality produce we constantly strive to source all of our ingredients locally and insist on daily deliveries to ensure the freshness of each dish we prepare.
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Wonderful setting for a restaurant with views over the river and surrounding hills. We were fortunate enough to get a window table and it was certainly a big plus. Good choice of food options and reasonably priced wines. It is always nice to get an amuse bouche and this set the standard for the meal. I was certainly impressed by the quality that was presented - nicely cooked scallops/black pudding followed by a very tasty plate of arbroath smokies. My wife's soup and guinea fowl also hit the mark. Service was ok without being outstanding but at least they didn't rush us even when we were the last table. I have been to a number of restaurants in B-y-C and this is certainly among the best if not the best and I would certainly use regularly if it was closer to me.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We dined at the Riverside mid-week during a weeklong visit to Betws-y-Coed. We both came away from the evening with rather mixed emotions. On the positive side, the staff were very friendly and made every effort to assist at all times. We had a full three courses all of which were a decent standard and the wine list was good enough to give us a nice bottle of NZ white. The main gripe with the experience was the ambiance/décor, which was very dated and not particularly inviting. It wasn’t the kind of issue that would ruin the evening, but it certainly made it feel less of a high quality mean than it might have been.

1  Thank Rob B
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and i visited the restaurant on 12/04/14. We had only booked our table at lunchtime and had asked if we could have a table by the window. The restaurant is in a conservatory which looks over the river. Menu had a good choice, starters and desserts priced at £6.95, mains ranged for £11 - £19. We did get a table overlooking the river and that definitely enhanced the experience. we were given a little mushroom canape (complements of the chef) when we sat down. I had an arbroath smokie starter and my husband had spinach soup, both were lovely. we both had the beef wellington for main. I was most impressed by the vege, (not your usual steamed carrots and broccoli). The vege was pureed cauliflower with goats cheese and a tomato filled with ratatouille. We finished off with raspberry frangipani tart and homemade custard and my husband had the cheeseboard. Service was great throughout, just a bit of the wait for the bill. This lovely meal would encorage me to book into the hotel to saty. They have rooms with private balconys overlooking the river with outside hot tubs.

1  Thank Turquoiselady2013
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I ate with three friends and we were wowed! The riverside restaurant has it all, unbeatable food, impressive wine list, great service and a view to die for. Having eaten in most of Betws y Coeds restaurants this is definitely the best, cannot fault the place!

1  Thank LB19882013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My Wife and I visited the hotel for dinner on the 8th August 2013.without a booking.
The staff were excellent, however the description of the food available in the menu was misleading, suggesting that all the ingredients were of a local nature. From the two options of the Dining Room and the Bistro, the menu led us to the Bistro, where we were the only two people in. I should say that the Restaurant had just opened, BUT Betwys y Coed was heaving with visitors.
My choice was the Colwyn Plaice and chips....the chips were frozen, very dry with little taste! maybe they were "local".....maybe not!! but the Colwyn Plaice, although sporting a local name, I would suggest....and did within my complaint, had probably only seen Colwyn bay whilst passing though frozen in the Lorry.
My Wife's Sirloin Steak, way dry and tough, but in fairness it tasted ok, but neither have we experienced Welsh Beef this poor, and she could not finish it.
The soup, whilst quite nice, had been accurately measured at 15mm in the bowl for £5.50 each.
The Plaice £14.50 and the Steak £18.95..plus and extra couple of quid for the cheese topping...did we feel ripped off?
We left feeling unfairly treated with just an apology for comfort.

2  Thank Richard H