“Bunkhouse”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
London, United Kingdom
“Bunkhouse”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Basic, dirty and noisy. Stayed in the bunkhouse as part of a larger group and absolutely would not recommend it. The rooms are tiny, dirty, dusty and damp, the beds have slats missing and mattresses that are lumpy. The radiators are either too hot or too cold, there are no curtains, the smallest shelves in the world and the walls are plastic like a ferry cabin. The toilet and shower room are simply disgusting with the toilet right by the sink and the urinal right by the shower. The shower curtain reeked of ammonia and the shower itself was minging, with tiles missing and open drains. The only good thing was that the bar was ok, but with rude staff and the restaurant area was ate smart with adequate breakfast. Each twin room was £50 a night, which was £30 too much... Worst accommodation ever.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Rjcdc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Lovely little hotel. NIce staff, rooms, bar, hotel. All a bit tired and old. Beds uncomfy but for only £45 per night, which includes a massive breakfast, I think its good value.
Perfect for a boys weekend away walking, not sure if I would go with family/wife.

Really clean
Lovelly staff
Great food - all you can eat Indian restaurant there.
Good, inexpensive bar
Free WIFI

Room Tip: turn your radiator off in the night as it gets HOT. Free parking at the back, but there is loads of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night mid october on a groupon deal
Room was lovely, en-suite was modern and very clean
Overall the hotel was good, bar staff were pleasant, i cant really comment on the food as there was a indian buffet on which was hosted by outside caterers, we had that and that was brilliant value for money
Although only stayed one night i would recommend the hotel and we will definitely use it again

• Stayed October 2013
Norwich
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Having stayed at the Glan Aber for a few nights before and really rated it, I have to say this time wasn't so good.

But, before I continue I must say that the food in the main hotel restaurant / bar is still excellent value and really good home cooked fare and the cooked breakfasts remain the best I have ever had. There is now an addition of an Indian buffet n the evenings which can be found in the room where breakfast is served and this divided opinion. My husband really liked his and said it was very tasty but my milder dish was woefully under cooked with very pink chicken so remained uneaten. I suspect that I was just very unlucky as usually the food at the Glan Aber is very good.

Now to the hotel....we had booked a superior room but, compared to the last one I stayed in, the room was very disappointing. It was very small and had sloping ceilings so you had to crouch down to get to one side of the bed and it was easy to bang your head. I had asked for a room with a bath as I need to soak as I have very stiff joints due to a medical condition and I explained this at the time of booking. While this had one, it was by no means full size and as such it was no help at all as I couldn't lay down and submerge myself. There were also a few in-room niggles. There was nowhere to put your things in the bathroom as the (very small) shelf above the sink was so poorly attached to the wall that it sloped and everything fell in to the sink below (not good if you had put glass bottles on there) and the touch lamp on my side of the bed had to be violently shaken to get it to light at all.

As for the TV - I had no idea that they even made flat screen TV's that small. It looked like it belonged to the Borrowers and, even in this tiny room, was completely pointless. It was honestly smaller than my laptop screen which was such a shame because it is not as if TVs cost the earth these days.

Last time I stayed the lift didn't work. This time it gave it a go when it fancied it (though don't expect it to stop on every floor)

Overall, don't be too put off. The staff are friendly and the food is great in the main area but do ask relevant questions about your room. I know there are better than we had when we stayed in room 17 or 18 (sorry, can't remember which) and was just really disappointed this time and very glad that we were only staying for one night rather than for the longer stay I had last time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay. Right in the middle of everything. Lovely room, breakfast were great for a long day out. Indian meal in restaurant was brilliant value. Nothing was too much trouble. We will definately be back. Very happy!

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights on a Groupon deal. It was good value for money. The room had recently been renovated - a few snagging items to complete - it was very nice and clean. Breakfast was extra so we went out to one of the local cafés - so cannot comment on the breakfast. We stayed in for an evening meal on the second night. We order off the Sunday roast menu which was good value for money for three courses but next time we would probably go back to The Stables bar, which is not far up the road and has a good heated seating area outside. Excellent base to see the area would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went for a one night break, the location is lovely and the hotel looks nice from the outside, the staff were friendly. The decor was a bit tired, some stains on the carpets, some black around the bath, the room was clean but needs overhauling. The general appearance of the inside of the hotel was a bit grubby. In our room there were also some water stains on the ceiling and the wall in one corner of the room. Unfortunately we were woken up at 7 am by water coming through the ceiling!! It wasn't a great amount of water but it was quite noisy, I thought it was because the room above us were having a shower or bath, but not sure what the cause was. I did consider contacting reception immediately but the information book stated it was unmanned until 8 am. Not a pleasant start to the day. We did report this at check out and the receptionist did apologise; my gripe is that there were already stains on the wall and ceiling when we arrived, so why were we given that room? Surely it should be fixed and re-decorated first.
I had a meal in the bar- I seem to remember that hotel information pack says food is available until 9 pm, but we arrived at 5 to 8, we were told we had had to order to immediately at the reception and then the bar person was unsure whether we could have food at all. I did order a pizza, very bland, it looked and tasted like a supermarket pizza with extra cheese put on top to make it more appealing.
I would not chose to return and certainly not for the full price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple