“Fantastic food and good overall service.”
Review of Ty Gwyn Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Cowdenbeath, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and good overall service.”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had a lovely evening meal at this restaurant.

There was a good selection of dishes on the menu. Some reasonably priced and some a little steeper but it was worth paying that bit extra for something a bit more special.

All three courses were well presented and flavoursome.

Staff were friendly and the overall service was good.

A restaurant to return to again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience
We look forward welcoming you back in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Room was very clean and tidy, toilet and shower spotless.
We had room 9a four poster bed, with tea & coffee and TV.
Good breakfast, Excellent Meals at night.
We had Bacon, peach and stilton salad, wife had Beetroot starter, both excellent and well presented.
Wife had the Lamb chops, Quite big chops, and very tasty, I had the Steak, Veal and Stilton burger, with chips and mash. Tastiest burger ever. Homemade succulent and very thick.
Pudding was Chocolate Cheesecake for me and Baileys Creme Brulee, again both excellent.
Ty Gwyn is on a main road, but we had a back room so never noticed noise from any traffic.
I would recommend coming to the restaurant for the food alone, well worth the travel.
Staff very good, Will be coming back later in the year if possible.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of property will be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you so much for coming to the Ty Gwyn to stay with us . We look forward welcoming you again very soon.
Broadway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this hotel because the pictures of the rooms and location looked nice. The room was ok and the four poster bed was nice. However, the car park is not adequate and if you can't get a space you are left having to leave your car on the side of a busy road!

My room was "tired" and really did need decorating. The shower wouldn't stop "dripping" the hand basin in the toilet was dirty and the curtains in the bedroom along with the window were filthy.

My main concern was the lack of "friendliness" with the staff. I had breakfast on two mornings and on each morning I had to ask for my order after a rather long wait, the young lady who served me was not friendly at all. I had to send my breakfast back on each occasion as my bacon was really undercooked and toast was just awful.

Room Tip: I can't comment on the other rooms but room 9a needs a deep clean!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
bampar, Owner at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
We appreciate all of our customers feedback and consider it all as constructive. Although on this occasion I feel all your comments are completely unfounded.
The room has recently been refurbished eg new carpet, light fitments, soft furnishings and curtains which leads me to the remark : curtains in bedroom were filthy this a completely untrue comment.
As far as unfriendly staff, we pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of customer service.
Your complaints regarding your breakfast have also been proven by the proprietor to be completely untrue. Please feel free to get in touch and we can enlighten you to our findings. Regarding your review, we are disappointed to read that your stay with us was so awful and question how you managed to stay with us 3 nights without making anyone aware, even on booking out, you were given the opportunity to comment
Reviewed 18 August 2013

After checking in to my room, room 4, I went and had a look at my friends rooms and saw straight away I'd drawn the short straw! All of the other rooms were newly redecorated, recarpeted, bright and airy where as mine was dark and had a musty smell. The room bedding and towels were clean but smelt like theyd been kept in a cupboard for a long time. There was also a hole in the already cracked window pane. I could have cried! Even the other people I knew in the hotel who saw my room couldn't believe how awful it was compared to theirs.

The bathroom is opposite the room not ideal but it is allocated to your room so no one else uses it. It has a lovely huge shower however the water is just a dribble. This meant I had to go and use my friends bathroom, I don't know what I'd of done if I'd have been staying on my own!

After check in I did tell reception that I was really not happy and asked to move even if it meant paying more, they were really helpfull but as they were fully booked I had no other options.

The staff were lovely and all of the other rooms that I saw appeared to be really nice but due to my experience I would not recommend the hotel to anyone. :(

2 Thank Gemm-Louise
bampar, Owner at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in room 4. Sorry the room wasn't to your licking. Following your initial enquiry by e mail regarding booking a room for the week end, you were offered an ensuite room which we received no reply to. You then continued yourself to book room 4 via the website where you'd find all rooms are available to view. We have found that room 4 is a very popular room and being front facing is light and airy. We are sorry about the window and this is in the process of being rectified.
We do hope to welcoming you again.
Essex
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at short notice due to poor weather ruining camping plans and staff couldn't have been more friendly or accomodating.
The room and bathroom was immaculate and nicely restored without ruining the 16th century charm.
The food was delicious and ample, as was the wine selection.
We highly recommend this place for both food and accommodation, especially given the reasonable pricing.

bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for the TA review you just posted. I have forwarded your compliments on to the team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The chef knows how to make a meat lover extremely happy "Ty Gwyn Tower Block: Extra Mature Welsh Fillet Steak, Black Pudding, Salami, Topped with Mature Cheddar Gratin, Garlic Crouton, Pepper Sauce" It sounds scary but it was truly fantastic as was the suckling pig. My Scallop starter was like the worlds most bad*ss fish pie and the whitebait was the best I've ever had. I would have loved to have sampled the desserts but after sinking a few pints of Reverend James i had reached bursting point.
If they hadn't have been so busy i might have attempted to kidnap the chef and whisk him away to work in my own restaurant.
Absolutely marvellous and certainly gave me enough fuel to conquer a few peaks the next day.
Next time I'm in Wales I'll stay in the hotel as it's one of the nicest old buildings I have ever set foot in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you so much for coming to the Ty Gwyn for dinner- we truly appreciate your custom and hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Don't expect an instant meal put before you here they cook to order . Excellence,taste & quality are wonderful,served in a relaxed restaurant or cosy bar.If you are staying the night expect agreat breakfast too. The bedrooms are not huge but everything you want is there. This is an old coaching inn after all. Thank you everyone at the Ty Gwyn Inn we will see you again.

bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience and your stay with us, we look forward welcoming you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
#6 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
The Gwydyr Hotel
The Gwydyr Hotel
#5 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Ty Gwyn Hotel? Share your experiences!