“Hotel Break”

and 1 more site!
Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Booked for a short break this hotel was far too hot. Even with the windows open (onto a busy main road) and a fan (provided but noisy) it was very difficault to sleep well. We were not informed about a group booking that meant the reataurant was not available on the second night, in fact the whole place seemed very busy and we had trouble getting a meal. There was a fault with the sink that was repaaired but left tiles missing in the bathroom and builders rubbish in the toilet/ bins. We were asked at 2230 to use another room for the bathroom after being in the room for 6+ hours!! Pn ther plus side the staff are very hard working and very helpful/ friendly. Food was very good

Room Tip: We upgraded to a special room, didn't look at normal but they can't be too good!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating towards my disabled father. The rooms were clean and well appointed and the dinner was outstanding. I can't fault the service given by all members of staff. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We booked a self catering cottage near Betws y Coed in August for a short break. When we got there we found it was unacceptable and for various reasons couldn't stay there - so late on a Friday night we found ourselves in Betwy y Coed looking for accommodation. The Royal Oak Hotel was fully booked however they had a double room in the adjoining annexe and having heard our plight, they were prepared to put another temporary bed in there for my son. They also gave us a very good rate which included parking in their own car park. The room was quite generous in size, recently refurbished with fixtures and fittings of a high standard. More important to us was the fact that the bedlinen and towels were of a high quality and clean - as was the bathroom - it was spotless.
All the staff we had dealings with were professional, polite an helpful. The waitresses in the Grill Bar where we were served breakfast and evening meal were great and nothing was too much trouble - and many of them were local and spoke Welsh. The quality of ingredients was excellent, a lot of local produce - which we like. My husband had the Welsh Mountain Lamb which was fantastic.
The location of the Royal Oak is excellent for touring North Wales and Betws y Coed is very pretty. I would have no hesitation in recommending to family and friends and no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The only criticism I have of this hotel is that some of the decor could do with updating. While the four poster bed was extremely comfortable the leather sofa in the room had seen better days. Some of the paintwork had a few noticeable drips & the lovely luxury bathroom with jacuzzi had generous doses of mastic in not quite the right places. I am only mentioning this as it was a deluxe room & I expected a slightly better state of decoration.

Decor aside what made our stay luxury was the food & staff. We had dinner in the restaurant & grill as well as breakfast & room service everything was superb. I thought my sense of taste had diminished I now realise I've been eating in the wrong places. Everything had flavour & the quality of ingredients was outstanding. Likewise the hotel staff were super efficient, the restaurant service was second to none.

The location was very central to our destinations & very easy to come & go from the Hotel. The biggest problem for me is that I now employ Royal Oak standards whenever I dine out & nothing has matched their standard - sadly The Royal Oak has spoiled me!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was delighted to spend 4 nights here recently and just loved the ambiance. The room was large as was the en suite which had heated towel racks that were on for a couple of hours in the AM. I found the staff very attentive, professional and charming. The tour I was on included a number of meals in the restaurant. The food was wonderful and they were able to do vegan dishes for me that were tasty and interesting.

There are convenient hiking trails that head up the mountain outside the back car park. The location is very well-placed for touring and taking advantage of recreational opportunities in N. Wales and there is plenty to see and do in the local area. I did peek in to a room on the ground floor marked *drying room* and it appeared to be a huge area for stashing wet bikes and clothing from day adventures.

The only negative is the large neon ~Reception~ sign over the door which leads to the bedrooms, but that is not actually the Reception desk! I am not sure why that sign is there as it is a bit confusing until one finds the actual Reception area right off the pavement further along the road. However, I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The Royal Oak is set in a very convenient location for touring North Wales. The food and service were excellent and the staff very friendly. There was a good choice on the menu in the Grill Bar and the Stables Pub. There was limited availability on a Travelzoo promotion so we had to pay an extra £20 per night for a superior room but although it wad very clean and comfortable there was nothing particularly 'superior' about it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

From the outside you would think this is one of the nicest hotels in Betws-y-coed. So did I. I was down there two days ago and had a real shock. Walking in was fine.Then you turn to go to the bar. The waitress was sitting at the bar having a right old chat with the lady on the bar. Trying to order drinks was a trial in itself. The lady behind the bar spoke broken English and no amount of directions could lead her to the desired bottle. We managed eventually to order food and drinks. The drinks were very expensive compared to down the road and with very limited choice. We sat down and were amused to hear a waitress serving the couple next door. "Here is your duck rub!" she told them. The room went quiet until everyone realised or we think she said "Here is your duck wrap!" in broken English. The point about mentioning the broken English of the staff is that the place was not very local. You didn't feel you were in Wales but more any hotel in London. The was no opportunity to ask anything about the area etc as none of the staff were locals. No Welsh was spoken and nothing really to make you feel this was a Welsh hotel in the middle of Wales. It has all the feel of a goldfish bowl with no fish. The room we were in had seen better days. The lights were of three different styles with no themes. The furniture was not in keeping with the building. The large picture on the wall had a chunk missing out of the frame. It was one of those hotels where it has seen better days. But I am glad I went in......so I know to avoid it next time! Verdict. Fine building, best experience the hotel from across the road.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank torquil_kiloran
Ambassedor, Manager at Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Our original response was in Welsh but Trip Advisor was unable to accept it because they do not accept responses in that language - Polish, yes but not Welsh.

Dear Torquil – it was rather a shock to read that you hadn’t come across any Welsh speakers during your visit. We are very proud of the fact that we offer employment to so many people who live locally ( be they Welsh, English or European) who have a great knowledge about the area and the language. We ensure that anyone who comes to work at the Royal Oak is informed about history of the hotel and the area we live in- being a tourism business we believe this to be very important. I sincerely hope the next time you’re in North Wales you do visit us and we can assist you with any local information you require, with regards Sian & the team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Waterloo Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Glan Aber Hotel & Bunkhouse
Glan Aber Hotel & Bunkhouse
#7 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!