“Wow, what a meal!”
Review of Royal Oak Hotel

Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We visited Betws-y-Coed one morning last week and decided to have a light lunch in the Bar/Grill of the Royal Oak Hotel. Sue had poached salmon and I had the Welsh Rarebit (Well, when in Wales etc....). Such a nice experience in fact that, after touring around the North Wales coastal resorts all afternoon, we decided to head back to the Royal Oak for an early dinner. We were not disappointed! Smoked haddock on a bed of chorizo risotto for me, a slow roast pork belly with seasonal veg for Sue, and followed by an apple cheesecake to share, will stay with us as one of the more memorable meals we have taken together, and we would thoroughly recommend it. Next time we might even stay in the hotel, so that no-one has to take charge of the car keys!! (Short straw again!)

There are newer reviews for Royal Oak Hotel

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Walked in, expecting to dine in the Grill Bar - the friendly and proficient waitress/hostess asked if we'd like to see the menu for the restaurant. We were wearing not the smartest of clothes (t-shirts/ fleeces/ jeans/ clean trainers) and I wasn't sure we were dressed well enough.... She assured me that we were fine, and got some menus for our perusal.

Upon handing us the menus, she said "4 courses, £25". Immediately, I thought, "hmm for that little money, it's hardly going to be amazing" but nonetheless we thought we'd go for it.

How wrong could I have been?! WOW!!

Chicken and tarragon soup as an 'amuse bouche' - it was divine.

Duck and caramelised beetroot for starter, was even better! Melt in the mouth!

Trio of welsh lamb for the main event - thoughtful, creative, innovative and full of flavour :)

By this point, each course was getting better and better, far surpassing my expectations... Pudding was no different!

One of my favourites... Pannacotta - but with a twist! Lemon meringue!! It was sublime! I genuinely did not want it to end!

The waiter was attentive without being overbearing, was helpful with the wine choice (a delectable Pinot Noir), and happy to listen to my over-exuberant statements about the quality of the food.

Overall, the most notable dining experience for my boyfriend and I, to date. I would have happily paid lots more for the quality of that meal :).

Spectacular meal in a relaxed environment, at a very good price. Could not fault this place at all. We will be returning!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ClareyBiscuit
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We really enjoyed the food in the restaurant, and the Welsh harpist playing in the backround was a nice touch. The room we stayed in was ok only. A shower over the bath, with shower curtain, is not what I'd call 'luxury' as described, and 'luxury' toiletries were a small soap and dispensing bottles of shampoo and shower gel. That aside, the hotel does have ambience, and is well positioned.

1  Thank jmallen04
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Friendly staff. Superb food. Good location. Room 211 very large.but with windows open because room was hot we were kept awake for hours due to hundreds of birds roosting in the tree at the nexdoor pub so never got any sleep. However after checking out and touring the area we still phoned and asked could we book again. Offered another superlarge room by friendly darl haired girl on reception. She was very nice. Again food was excellent. Made our break having this hotel to stay at. Really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here on a special deal of B/B and evening meal and were so glad we booked it. I'd never been to this area of Wales before. It is beautiful and the Royal Oak is well placed.
The staff were all friendly and very helpful when asked for advice. We couldn't fault our room for size, comfort or furnishings. It's not the fault of the hotel if people find beds too hard or soft. If it's that much of a problem stay at home.
The food we had over the two days we stayed was superb. I've never seen such a large bowl of mussels for a starter as my husband had in the restaurant. Our breakfasts were hearty with quite a variety to choose from.
I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel and would have no hesitation in going back.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

9.9 out of 10 for our Evening meal this evening.
.1 lost as I would have liked a Steak knife for my Lamb.
But 10 out of 10 for the young female Harpist that played a selection of music during our meal.
We enjoyed it so much we have booked for tomorrow night.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Booked for a short break this hotel was far too hot. Even with the windows open (onto a busy main road) and a fan (provided but noisy) it was very difficault to sleep well. We were not informed about a group booking that meant the reataurant was not available on the second night, in fact the whole place seemed very busy and we had trouble getting a meal. There was a fault with the sink that was repaaired but left tiles missing in the bathroom and builders rubbish in the toilet/ bins. We were asked at 2230 to use another room for the bathroom after being in the room for 6+ hours!! Pn ther plus side the staff are very hard working and very helpful/ friendly. Food was very good

Room Tip: We upgraded to a special room, didn't look at normal but they can't be too good!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool

Been to Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!