“strange hostel /hotel hybrid”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Betws-Y-Coed YHA

Betws-Y-Coed YHA
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Betws-y-Coed
Betws-Y-Coed YHA
France
“strange hostel /hotel hybrid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

not your typical YHA ! first night in portakabin new hostel,walls made of paper.zero sleep.

moved to chalets,nice rooms with showers.

food and beer fine-quick service and friendly staff.

Wouldnt however stay again as being based around a group of buildings,rather than central hostel,wasnt really suitable for kids.

Room Tip: dont stay in the portakabin
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Filllua

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed at YHA Betws-Y-Coed for one night recently with a friend as needed somewhere to stay that was quick, easy and above all cheap. We paid around £25 each for the night, which I thought was a great price, even for a standard room. However, we were given the keys to one of the annexed en-suite rooms for two, which was a nice surprise.

We booked through the website, which was easy and quick. On arrival we were given access to the car park that was part of the adjoining hotel, which I thought was very large and safe. As the hostel is situated on a corner, across from small park and a few miles from Betws-Y-Coed proper, we felt that the surrounding area was very quiet and peaceful but had quick access to the town.

The room itself was spacious, clean, comfortable and even had a widescreen television, showing a number of different national and local channels. We felt that while we didn't expect miracles (having stayed in much worse hostels for more money) we certainly didn't expect to get so much privacy and luxury from a youth hostel.

Overrall we didn't expect much from the stay on arrival having assumed we'd know what to expect from this hostel, but it happily debunked our preconceived notions, and from now on I will use this hostel as a benchmark for others. Fantastic.

Room Tip: During down-season, if possible, request one of the annexed en-suite rooms if travelling with a frie...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisLovett
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed here for one night . Booked over the telephone found receptionist very helpful as I did when I arrived .Had a four bunk room to myself which was also en-suite with a fantastic shower, very clean with comfortable bed . the adjacent hotel serves good reasonably priced meals and good ale . Bus stop very close to Hotel . Would certainly stay here again as its very convenient for Mt Snowdon and betws y coed , bus fare is only £1per trip .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Witham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as a fairly nearby place to Mt. Snowdon, and seemed pretty good value. I was not expecting hotel standard surroundings for the price paid at all but was very happy with the place. Friendly staff, clean rooms with En-suite, nice little bar next to it so no worries about getting back after a few pints! Will happily stay again, if you want more than this then book a hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 723LiamP
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

I joined the YHA over Christmas because I thought it would be good to use in the Winter months when it's cold. This was my first one. The strange thing here is that there's no discount for members although it's YHA? Anyway, I arrived, was dealt with efficiently and pleasantly by the lady on the desk, in fact she had me sharing a 4 man room with someone, but there was an empty 4 man room so she put me in there. It was very clean, warm enough and en-suite which was a nice surprise (Room 15) I only wanted a bed and shower and toilet, so didn't look at anything else there really. The Pub/Hotel is right next door, even part of it, not sure what their relationship is, but I had a Mobile signal in the Bar, enough to text (T-Mobile Orange) and there was Wi-Fi so I was happy. The Hostel building was a little tatty I suppose, but I wasn't expecting Hotel standards. Maybe after I've been to Bryn Gwynant in Feb, I'll change my mind, but I'd stay here again. Breakfast was hot and good (big choice of items). Lamb Shank in Pub was reasonable and tasty. I suppose as I only expected there to be a bed in the warm and dry and that's what I got, I wasn't looking to assess the whole place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PistonPierre
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Booked in for three days with my wife and daughters. Checked out after one, as did another family who were as appalled at this run down shack. There are no staff on site only the reception staff at the adjacent hotel. One of these receptionists was very helpful, but the lady who checked us in and out was as cold and uninviting as the hostel itself. Our ensuite family room was damp, mouldy and an external staircase away from the self catering kitchen. The whole place is old, tired, desolate, and covered in curtly written A4 signs reminding guests that they better not forget the RULES. Seriously crap accommodation, and really not in the Spirit of the YHA who should be honest on their website about this dump.

Room Tip: My top tip is to go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Familyguy39

Travellers are raving about these Betws-y-Coed hotels

Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed in quite a few youth hostels and all were great, except this one. No staff on site - you must rely on the nearby Swallow Falls Hotel staff for help, and they didn't have any updated info on other hostels. YHA can't provide them with a brochure? Both public phones out of order and the nearest working phone is 2 miles away. I came to Wales partly for the hiking, but 4 miles for a phone call is a bit much. Small, not well maintained. I had booked 3 nights but took the first bus out of town in the morning and was fortunate to find an opening in the sparkling wonderful Conwy hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank bingoseattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Royal Oak Hotel
#6 of 11 in Betws-y-Coed
YHA Snowdon Llanberis
YHA Snowdon Llanberis
#1 of 5 in Llanberis

Been to Betws-Y-Coed YHA? Share your experiences!