“Unexpectedly good (with a minor veggie reservation) ...”
Review of Grill Room

Grill Room
Ranked #10 of 29 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Unexpectedly good (with a minor veggie reservation) ...”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We ate here for dinner a couple of times (as non hotel residents) on a recent visit to Betws-y-coed. Both times the service was friendly, professional and efficient. Mrs Bungee enjoyed both her meaty meals immensely but I have to knock a mark off for my second veggie one.

On the first visit I had the vegetable stroganoff which was unexpectedly delicious. The second time I went for the tartlet filled with ratatouille and topped with goats cheese and had high expectations. To her credit, the waitress looked quite embarassed bringing it out, looking tiny on a huge plate; she commented that "bet I was glad I got chips with it" (and I was). Thing is, goats cheese is rich and you don't want too much of it, but here there was equal amounts of goats cheese and ratatouille, perhaps to make up for the fact that the tartlet case looked like it had come off the shelf in Lidl (no offence to Lidl). I should say it did taste OK, but was inexplicably unbalanced and poorly put together as a dish given the quality of the other food we tried.

I don't want to dwell too much on this one dish, as the point of this review was really to say this place is well worth a try. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and go back for a third visit.

• Visited September 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed in Betws-y-Coed for 3 nights and ate in this restaurant each night.
The menu was varied ,the food was delicious and well presented. The locally sourced fish dishes were excellent .
The staff were welcoming and friendly.

• Visited June 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Good food, good price and very good service”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

After coming back from walking Snowdon you can imagine how hungry we were and we wasn't disappointed one bit. I had the lamb shank and my girlfriend had the slow cooked belly pork which both were brilliant.

• Visited August 2013
St Helens, England
“Don't book late unless you're a resident”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We were staying in Betws Y Coed over the weekend and were looking for somewhere to eat on Friday night, we looked at the Royal Oak hotel restaurant but didn't find anything we liked, however the grill room look nice so we went in to book. We asked for a table for 2 for 8pm and we were then asked if we were residents, when we said that we weren't we were told that we couldn't book a table after 7.30pm. Needless to say we didn't bother and instead went to the Waterloo hotel and enjoyed a very nice meal.

I cannot believe that this hotel is willing to turn paying guests away just because they are not residents and do not want to eat until after 7.30. I could understand if they required a credit card for confirmation on arrival if they are worried about people eating late and then not paying but to not even take a booking is a really strange idea as far as I can see.

We don't normally eat until after 8 and luckily there are quite a few more places which we could enjoy.

I think the management should rethink this unless they are happy to lose customers in the future.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Janet66
Thame, United Kingdom
“Quick service and good food”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The menu looked interesting, so we decided to eat lunch here. The food and service were good and the price of the set menu was very reasonable. Perhaps the vegetables did not need to be drenched in butter, but the dessert menu was particularly good. I would go back.

• Visited August 2013