“Very friendly, massive portions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grill Room

Grill Room
Ranked #8 of 28 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: British, Welsh, Grill
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very friendly, massive portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The waitresses were very busy but still managed to make small talk and remembered me the next day. The portions were massive and tasty and the beer cold! Only slight negative was that when I ordered something a bit fancier from the menu (risotto chorizo with smoked haddock and a poached egg) the fish and egg were done to perfection but the risotto wasn't quite as nice, though perfectly edible. I had fish and chips the next day and it was very tasty and absolutely massive.

Visited May 2014

Redcar, United Kingdom
“Out of date food, staff not interested, rude and ignorant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I ate here the evening of 17th May 2014 along with another 15 or so people in our party. The food was average but we waited over an hour for our main course while people who came in after us got theirs first. The waiter was pleasant enough but clearly embarrassed about the delay as he avoided eye contact with us after about 40 minutes. Food, service and value for money was far superior at the bistro a little further up the road where we ate the previous evening.

We went into the bar area after dinner and had a few drinks while apparently "senior staff" behind reception seemed to be starring at us in such a way a few in our party commented that they did not feel welcome. Toward the end of the evening around 10.30 ish I bought some hand made crisps from a box displayed on the bar. They didn't really taste good but were eaten and then I noticed the sell by date on the back of the packet was December 2013 (6 months out of date) I took the packet back and told the bar man who said they had only bought them in recently and removed the rest from display. He came over to our table soon after with another in date packet if crisps, I told him I didn't want any more crisps and was just bringing this to his attention, he was very patronising in putting the packet on the table saying "you can share them with your friends"
The three staff behind reception were still there apparently cashing up so I returned the untouched packet of crisps to them and expressed my discontent, they all looked at me, one said something like "oh ok then" and put their heads back down counting the takings.

Around 11pm the "senior staff" sat at a near by table with a drink and started arguing with each other about staff rosters, using the kind of language you might expect to hear in a dockyard, that which customers to be asked to any half decent public premises for using and is not permitted in ratings here! Some of the ladies in our party were quite put out and looked over at them with discontent a couple of times, the male staff member seemed to have some sense of shame but the two females clearly did not and continued, we all left soon after

During the night I was sick and feeling disgruntled about the level of interest from staff the previous evening and the fact that their food had made me ill, I returned the following day to air my views. Approaching the reception desk I found the Manager Cath Calvin looking at a PC monitor and I stood at the desk in front of her where she would clearly be aware of my presence, 5 seconds or so and she did not look up, I put my phone and keys on the desk top within 18 inches and directly in front of her but she still did not look up for about 25 to 30 seconds which frankly was embarking and just endorsed the standard of attitude I had already experienced. I explained to her the out of date food produce, apathy of the staff and the fact that after eating and drinking there, I had been sick through the night.

She said that the crisps had been withdrawn from sale and I queried that surely the date of food stock should be routinely checked before being offered for sale. Her seemingly well rehearsed response was "what can we do to make this right for you?" I pointed out that I had eaten and drunk here the previous evening, been sold food 6 months out of date and had been ill as a result, though I was mainly concerned about the terrible attitude of their staff, in the circumstances I felt it appropriate that at minimum she may consider refunding the cost of all I had purchased (approx £50) she responded with a seemingly equally we'll rehearsed comment "I am not authorised to issue refunds and if you want to take that further, you should do so in writing. I told her that I was not going to put further time and effort into taking this further in writing only to be further given the runaround. I said that I would simply post my views on trip advisor to be challenged (again seemingly well rehearsed) with "we don't take kindly to being threatened with comments on trip advisor" I quickly addressed this by telling her I was not making any threats simply pointing out that the facility was there to help people avoid such establishments exploiting tourists, knowing that the next day there would be fresh unaware tourists.

She was right in some respects about the fruits of going to the further time and effort of putting my views and concerns in writing, I do feel better now!

5 Thank Brian S
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Everything about this restaurant is spot-on. Staff, service, food, good wine list. We would thoroughly recommend for a very good meal in pleasant suuroundings. Staff attentive without intruding.
We ate here twice in a 4 night stay, can't say fairer than that :-)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Steve M
Woodbridge, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food & Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked the Grill Room via email before our trip and they replied and booked us in - we then needed to change the time and they were very accommodating! The food was delicious and the service second to none - great atmosphere - definitely recommend!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Samms41
Rossendale
“Beautiful meal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We enjoyed a delicious tasty meal. Lovely in expensive menu. Service was great and we intend to come back and stay in the hotel next time.

Visited April 2014