“Loved it!”

Dining options: Breakfast
Sleaford, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We found this cafe by accident and realised they welcome dogs so we sat outside under the cover.
The selection of tea and coffee is fantastic and the meal portions were massive!
I ordered a ploughman's and it was enormous with 4 huge portions of cheese, a salad, many biscuits and chutney.
As we were a party of 6 and a dog, we all ordered different dishes and loved all of it.
We went back 3 days later and just had smoothies, coffee, tea and a few cakes while we sheltered from the sunshine.
Love what they do for conservation of wildlife and my daughter bought a stuffed ape after ensuring 100% goes to the charity.
Would go back again if we holiday in that area again.

kakop63, Owner at Alpine Coffee Shop, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you very much, it's so nice when people are nice. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Nice food with it's palm oil free, when I asked fantastic teas and coffees. nice location place is kinda of vintage style. Loving there work for the apes/ orangutans and gorillas.

The vegetarian breakfast. which included two eggs beans veg sausage fried potato and onion toasted butter. Was beautiful and the toasted sandwiches which are lovely I must say.

• Visited May 2014
kakop63, Owner at Alpine Coffee Shop, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you very much and we're glad you had a good time....it's a pity you didn't have the Greek Salad
Ceredigion, United Kingdom
“Disappointingly overpriced salads!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have visited here many times, using it as a meeting place between Mid Wales and Cheshire and have always thoroughly enjoyed the experience hence the repeat visits.

Today however I made the mistake of selecting the Greek Salad, as unfortunately, did my dad and daughter - not cheap at £8.25, but knowing the usual quality of the food here I expected something special. What I actually got was the equivalent of half a bag of leaves, and not particularly high quality ones, more stalk than anything else; a tomato cut into quarters which dear manageress is not 4 tomatoes as you would have me believe, but is in fact 1 tomato cut into 4; 2 rings of raw onion; what can only be described as a couple of square inches (at the very most) of feta; about 2 inches of cucumber and 6 black olives. It was accompanied by artisan bread - which turns out to be a slice of a bloomer sized loaf - oh my mistake not the whole slice, half the slice, presumably you thought, what with the half bag of leaves an' all, that people would just keel over at the thought of having to eat the other half of the slice!

To add insult to injury it took the best part of an hour to construct this masterpiece and deliver it to the table - yes I did see all the signs advertising for staff - but judging by your response to a complaint of nearly a month ago - your staffing problems are clearly not a short term issue.

I tried to hide my disappointment, as my dad had kindly paid, and quite frankly I was just embarrassed that he had spent nearly £25 on next to nothing, but I'm sorry there is paying a premium for the location and there is being well and truly ripped off... so I complained.... the first waitress said she could totally understand my annoyance and offered me the other half of the slice (!), but said that as we had started eating we couldn't be refunded, fair enough I wasn't after a total refund, just some of it - your manageress who I was referred to simply asked had I not seen one of your Greek Salads before? I should have asked has she not seen a Greek Salad before? (or rather £8.25 worth)

A nice gesture would have been to admit it was exceptionally poor value, and offer a free drink (our drinks had, after all arrived and been imbibed a whole hour before the arrival of the.... slightly reluctant to call it this, but the.... main meal) or some other recompense such as a partial refund. Do yourself a favour - go in and order yourself one of your fantastic Greek Salads, pay for it and see just how annoyed you feel!

3 Thank RJM940
kakop63, Owner at Alpine Coffee Shop, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
we are sorry you had such a bad experience. We had a lady from Thailand making the salads that day, she was cutting the lettuce etc up very small, we have now sorted this issue with her. If you have the energy to come back I can only offer you a Greek salad up to our usual standard and a large glass of pinot grigio. If you don't want to come back I won't hold it against you.
Enfield, United Kingdom
“Good selection of cakes!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice place, with a very unique style and great selection of hot drinks and cakes. We shared a pot of tea with a strawberry tart and an apple and toffee bake well. Both cakes were delicious!

Definitely worth a visit due to its friendly staff, varied food and very reasonable prices.

kakop63, Owner at Alpine Coffee Shop, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you very much, happy you had a good time, its a pity you didn't have the Greek Salad.
Telford, United Kingdom
“Options”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Why 'options'? Well, you can sit on the railway side, or the street side, inside the shop or inside the gazebo. You can have meals or snacks, hot or cold.
The staff are friendly, the food was good,and we would go there again.