“Excellent weekend break”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Brierley Hill, United Kingdom
“Excellent weekend break”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 11th-13th July and found this hotel a great place to stay,we stayed in the hotel part of the complex and the room was great and breakfast was great too.we also had meals in the pub part of the hotel and the food was good too, we had the two for £10 deal the second night that was excellent for the money. Overall it was a good stay and will be going back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We did not stay at the hotel, but called in for a meal, as it was advertised that there were 2 for £10. We had been before other years and it was ok. I am vegetarian and ordered a hot meal after a day on the hills.We were then told no gas, so the only meal I could have was salad.This was ok, but it was disappointing when it arrived, as I felt they could have given more attention to pleasing us after the gas problem.My husband's lasagne, presumably microwaved, tasted ok, he said. All in all, I didn't feel that we would go back again.

• Stayed July 2014
_Peter_Jones_61, Owner at Swallow Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you for your comments but through no fault of our own the gas supply was disrupted for a brief period of time. We apologise for this. We were pleased to read that your husband enjoyed his food and do hope you will give us another try.
Kind regards Swallows
Wales
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed in the annexe and paid £85.00 for the room and breakfast. The staff were friendly and polite, and the food was excellent. However, the room was very disappointing -it was dark and dated and the only good thing I could say is that it was very clean and that the bed was fresh and comfortable. I would never stay at this hotel again, but I would use the restaurant if I was in the area. It was also rather annoying to see a sign outside offering rooms for £30.00 per night knowing that we had paid £85.00 and that another guest had paid £110.00.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
_Peter_Jones_61, Manager at Swallow Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review and we are pleased that our staff and food was good. Rooms are offered at a lower price should one be available. If you wish to guarantee your room then you will pay the seasonal rate as we hold these for you. The other guest was paying for a family of 4 and the rate was correct.

Travellers are raving about these Betws-y-Coed hotels

Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was looking for something central that didn't break the bank, and this place hit the spot. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable and well priced. WiFi doesn't reach the top floor, so you will have to go down one level to lounge to get signal. Bar and restaurant to pick from for food. Meals well priced and tasted great. Large car park. Right opposite Swallow Falls waterfall, a place not worth visiting. Much better waterfalls in the area

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
_Peter_Jones_61, Owner at Swallow Falls Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your comments on our food and accommodation. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are at present looking into getting wi-fi into all our rooms.
The Wirral
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My son and I stopped here for an early evening meal on our way back from Snowdonia. Our waitress doubled as barmaid and was absolutely charming. Unfortunately the positives stop right here!
I have never before been charged to park in a hotel/ restaurant car park.
The areas of the hotel that we saw are all very much in need of refurbishment - greasy 1970s carpets, public toilets needing an upgrade, loud piped music. We should have used our intuition and left at once, but we were hungry and decided to eat in the Bistro.
The Seafood Chowder consisted of watered down mashed potato with bits of fish hiding between potato lumps.
Some years ago now I made the mistake of buying a Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni ready meal from a supermarket. It was disgusting and went straight in the bin. The meal I ordered today was identical. It came with undigestible chips. I had asked for a side salad. When it arrived the lettuce was not fresh, with brown areas that had not been trimmed. There was far too much onion and the final insult was two sachets of salad cream. I asked the waitress if I could have French dressing. She came back from the kitchen with the news that they didn't have any. Even the most inexperienced cook should know how to put together a half decent salad dressing. To offer a guest sachets of salad cream is nothing short of an insult.
At this point my son pointed out to me that we were in Wales and what else could I expect.
I have enjoyed some of the best meals in my life not ten miles from this apology for a restaurant. Welsh food takes some beating when in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.
The management of this hotel need to seriously address the shortfalls in their kitchen.
To add insult to injury ....... we were charged over £40.00 for a very bad experience and indigestion for the rest of the evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. First, we would like to apologise that our food was not up to our normal standard. We do charge for parking as this is a very busy place and people visit the Waterfalls across the road as well as using our facilities. However, it is clear on the car park signage that customers using our facilities get their car park money refunded.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I think we just caught these guys on an off day. We could not drive up to the campsite as the car park was be resurfaced. We were charged a £5 deposit for a key to the communal showers only to find that the lock was missing and the lights did not work. We showered in darkness. There was only one other tent nearby and the noise from the A5, to which we discovered we were adjacent, did not intrude greatly. Should I complain at only £8 a head?

Room Tip: camp higher up
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank douglasshaw
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at Swallow Falls for 2 nights 4th /5th June.

We wanted a reasonably priced short break and this fitted the bill exactly.

The hotel is clean and comfortable rooms very nice, some people may find them a little dated dut they were very clean and bed was very comfy ( we had room 30 ).

We ate in the bar for our evening meals which were your typical pub meals , very nice and well cooked we had 2 meals for £10.

Staff were very nice and very helpful. We did change rooms as there was a problem with the first room we were allocated, but there was no problem just went to reception and they were most helpful ( can't understand why people say otherwise ) .

Nice outside areas to sit and enjoy a drink on a warm summer evening.

All in all it was a lovely relaxing break and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room with four poster bed, if it is available it is the same price as other rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stroppycow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Waterloo Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
The Gwydyr Hotel
The Gwydyr Hotel
#5 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Swallow Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!