“The Best Welsh Cakes Ever Tasted”
Review of Cwmni Cacen Gri

Cwmni Cacen Gri
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Welsh
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Takeaway only Winter hours 10am-3pm Open earlier & later weekends and school holidays
“The Best Welsh Cakes Ever Tasted”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Called in this little cafe last Sunday and tasted the loveliest welsh cakes ever and will most definitely go there again. Staff were very friendly and excellent customer service.

• Visited May 2014

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Best Welsh Cakes by far!”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I visit this cafe whenever I'm in Betws-y-Coed. The Welsh Cakes are so good (and so obviously made with butter unlike others I've tasted) that I can't resist them.
The coffee served is excellent as is the selection of cakes which my kids and partner have tried. When I first used to visit it was worth a trip just to walk along with a lovely cappuccino and bag of Welsh Cakes. However, when I got there yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find that they now have a a couple of tables outside to sit at to the right of the shop.
The service is great, really friendly and helpful and the inside of the shop looks so pretty, like a cafe should look.
I would definitely recommend it to someone who is looking for a tea break and something sweet during a day out in Betws. (Betws-y-Coed fan from Liverpool)

• Visited May 2014
UK
“Worth Trying Warm Welsh Cakes”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Popped into try some welsh cakes after reading reviews on here.
We just bought the normal ones, as the white chic & strawberry didn't appeal to either of us.
They were a bit on the small side especially for the price (6 for £2.50).

It was nice to eat them while they were still warm on the bench outside.

They certainly weren't the best I've had, but filled a gap for something sweet.
Lots of other cakes available to buy along with drinks.

• Visited April 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Ripped off - avoid!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Went to buy a traditional Welsh Cake, hot from the griddle, for my kids and American mother-in-law to try, on the understanding that if they liked it I'd get some more later. I enjoyed Welsh Cakes as a child baked by my grandma in Bristol and loved them.
I was charged £1 for a single welsh cake!
I was stunned but thought "maybe these are something special". On tasting it a few minutes later with the kids, it was quite unlike any Welsh Cake I'd ever eaten - crispy on the outside, sprinkled with granulated sugar and dry and crumbly within. Deeply unappetising - no hint of a soft, slightly glutinous centre.
The fact that, for the poor quality, it was so expensive was quite irritating. After chatting with nearby store owners who were shocked at the price of ONE Welsh Cake (they were selling packs of 5 for £1.60), I went back to the Cacen bakery and got 50p back after the same woman who had sold me the cake for £1 now sheepishly told me they were 50p!
Raising prices for the tourist season is one thing ... was this just skimming off the top? Went back to the nearby store and bought the pack of 5 for £1.60 - plump raisins, nice, chewy dough,no unnecessary granulated sugar. Far better cakes, much cheaper and everyone enjoyed them.

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank ThoJohn
Welshcakeco, Owner at Cwmni Cacen Gri, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
We are terribly sorry you feel we have "ripped" you off and that we are ripping tourists off, we certainly are not here to do that. This was a genuine error by a part time member of staff - although totally unacceptable. We work incredibly hard to use locally sourced ingredients in our welshcakes & other produce including .Organic Free Range Eggs & Welsh Butter ,We use no preservatives apart from what is in self raising flour. It is very difficult to comment on the said welshcake's texture, we make hundreds every day and they are hand made, hand rolled & hand cut .We are taking this review very seriously and are very sorry we did not have the opportunity to discuss this with you. The welshcakes are 50p each or 6 for £2.50 not £1 each . Please accept our sincere apologies. We have won a number of awards two in March 2014 & hope this reflects our produce, ethos & professionalism. If you are in Betws y Coed again please call in and ask for us and we will try our very best to rectify this review. Many thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Kind Regards Jennie & Jo
Welshpool
“Excellent find”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Popped in for tea and cake. The tea came in cardboard take out type cups and the cake on a piece of tissue - deal mainly with take out meals. Seating for 3 people in shop. Cake was delicious and the tea was good and they do unusual flavoured Welsh Cakes - fruits of the hedgerows was the flavour of the day. Would recommend although lost a rating as lack of seating

• Visited October 2013