“Excellent Hotel to stay in”

Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband has been poorly and we decided to try the above hotel for a 3 night break (especially for me as his carer). What a delight. Guy, the lovely gentleman who greeted us helped us up to our room and our little dog was pleased also!!! The staff are most curteous and helpful and always greeted us with a smile. I am on a special diet, and the chefs were most helpful in providing alternatives for me . It has been theraputic for us both and being looked after in such a lovely way made our stay most relaxing. The owners, Martin and Odette couldn't have been more helpful so we say a very big THANK YOU to each and everyone of you and we most certainly will come again and recommend you to our friends. We will bring our friends for a lunch time meal also, so you haven't seen the last of us!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the river-fantastic

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here with my other half for a weekend treat- and a treat it was! I've stayed in a lot of hotels around the UK, and this was by far the best I've been in.
On arrival, we were welcomed to the hotel by Guy- a lovely gentleman. We had arrived earlier than expected and before check-in time, but it was no problem for them, which is more than I can say for a lot of hotels.
We had chosen the four-poster room with the hot-tub on the balcony. Upon booking, I thought the price for the room was quite a lot, but on staying there, it was definitely worth it. The room was beautifully bright and clean, and Guy had introduced us to the workings of the hot-tub which we could barely wait to get into.
The room came with a plentiful hospitality tray, a fantastic power-shower, bath robes, flip-flops, whirlpool bath, seating area, parasol and spectacular views. The large TV had a DVD player, and the welcome pack detailed a long list of DVDs that were available (free of charge) to watch. Although we did not get any DVDs to watch, the list was varied and extensive- much better than the pay-per-view schemes some hotels have.
The bed was lovely and comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. The room's décor was tasteful and bright, although I did worry about the cream carpet getting muddy from our walking boots.
The hot-tub was a fantastic addition to the room. After long and tiring walks across the Welsh countryside, it was certainly a lovely experience to return to. The idea of our short break was to relax, and this ticked all the boxes for relaxation. Even when it was rainy and dull, it was still more than pleasant to be in the hot-tub. The view from the rooms balcony and the hot tub itself were really amazing too, as it overlooks the river, mossy trees and the wonderful valley. To look up from the hot-tub and see soaring buzzards by day, and bright stars by night, is just a lovely experience. The price of this room is quite high if you're not going to spend much time in it, but it is one of those rooms you want to spend some time in, so I thought the price was right- especially considering the hot-tub and the running costs for it.
We sampled the hotel restaurant, both for breakfast and evening dinner. The way in which you're taken to the dining room was quite nice and professional too. We chose our meal while sitting in the lounge, and a short while later, we were escorted to the dining room and our drinks taken for us. The dining room is a lovely modern and bright conservatory overlooking the river-such a great view to take in over dinner. We were lucky enough to be sitting right by the window for all our meals.
Upon ordering our first meal, I was a little worried that the food was quite expensive, as the price on the menu was around £25-£33 a head for a 3-course dinner, plus drinks. However, I was proved very wrong very quickly!
The meal began with an 'amuse bouche'- something I'd only heard of on cookery programs. It was quite lovely to be served an amuse bouche- a small hors d'oeuvre chosen by the chef to show their style and expertise. This alone tasted wonderful, and the rest of the meal was no different. Nothing on the plate was second-rate, and it was all made from scratch. The menu noted a number of local suppliers, and the vegetables are grown in the hotel's gardens. The flavours from all the meals we had were almost unreal- so rich and delicious, and elegantly presented. I really could not praise their chefs enough. The portion sizes were also generous, so the size was not at all sacrificed for the flavour. When enquiring about a sauce on the menu, we were asked whether we would like to change the sauce. Although we had no wish to change it, I was in no doubt that we could have deviated from the menu if we had so wished.
Our wine choices were also very fine. The hotel has an extensive wine list, with all of the wines described in detail- and very accurate descriptions for the wine we had, at least.
The menu at the hotel is also quite different from most hotels and restaurants I've visited. The menu is small and seasonal, and does not host the usual menu choices such as pizza and chips. Instead, it has a small selection of rather special starters and meals, such as 'Slow braised shin of Welsh beef Wellington' and even crab or pigeon. This is not the place to go if you just want a plate of chips, but if you enjoy fine dining and impeccable service then you won't be disappointed. The staff don't harass you while you're eating to ask you if your meal is okay either, as I go to too many restaurants where I have to talk through a mouthful of food to answer.

Overall, this hotel was a fantastic experience. The staff are friendly and professional, and I would have loved to have stayed longer to sample some more things off the menu and spend more time in that hot-tub. I sometimes worry that if I'm going to stay in what I might consider a 'posh' hotel, that the staff will be snooty, but this was definitely not the case. Everything at the hotel made me glad I had chosen it. In fact, I liked the place so much that I've booked my wedding there. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Having stayed in the hot-tub suite, I would of course recommend it, but any of the river view rooms...
3  Thank Kitty T
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed in the honeymoon suite with the hot tub on the special two night deal.

Room was excellent with a Jacuzzi bath and not forgetting the all important hot tub outside which we drank champagne in and looked at the beautiful surroundings.
The food was fantastic but expensive but as we got the special deal our food for the two days was already paid for so was easier on the wallet.

All in all a very good experience and a great place to stay for a special occasion and for exploring north Wales.

(Only negative was the bed was a little hard for our liking but this is probably due to us usually sleeping on a softer mattress).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Having spent a rainy afternoon today in Betwys we decided to stop here on the way back for afternoon tea thinking that as the hotel was signed as 4 star, it'd be a real treat. We couldn't have been more disappointed. We opted for the Afternoon Tea Taster for two (£14.50) and one of the speciality coffees (having asked the waiter if, at £3.95 it was enough for two and being told that he'd make a cafetiere which was enough for two). When we were brought the "afternoon tea" it was laughable - my children could have made a more appealing presentation of the Bara Brieth (excuse spelling please), scones and fruit slice. If, and it's a big if, any of these items were homemade, they were by far of the poorest standard - the only redeeming feature being the clotted cream!! As for the "speciality cafetiere of coffee", I've had better tasting Mellow Birds!! My husband ordered a Diet Coke to wash the taste of the coffee away. We asked for the bill and were absolutely astonished that we'd been charged £7.90 for the coffee and the bill totalled £24. We are Londoners and, as such, are used to paying inflated prices but this was beyond a joke. Unfortunately, we were short of time and so didn't have the opportunity to voice our disgust at such a poor effort etc. This place may have astonishing views but, Afternoon Tea - forget it!!!

6  Thank DENISE R
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Our room was dated, it overlooked the entrance to the hotel and was painted in white to try and make it look a light and airy room but just made it look bland and lacking in character. Also too much furniture made it look cluttered (Wardrobe, chest of drawers, dressing table with more draws, and 2 bedside cabinets with yet more draws). The bathroom served its purpose but again it was dated, however the shower was very powerful which was a plus.

Found the room to be noisy we were situated at the top of the stairs so everytime anyone went up or down stairs it was quite disturbing.

Hotel has a good location, we found a few walks straight from the hotel and it was nice not having to take the car everywhere.

The best points to this hotel are the location and excellent breakfasts, however it is overpriced for the room we stayed in and I wouldn't stay here again in less there was a big price cut.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a river view
2  Thank paulguitar
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We arrived on Sunday evening after been let down by a hotel we had booked somewhere else, to be met by Guy, who could not have been more helpful. Fantastic light bright room over looking the river, Breakfast served well and plenty of choice, doggie friendly a real plus. Well done everyone for a lovely stay we hope to come back ??

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank link2od
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We felt that the website for this hotel really undersold how lovely it really is. It helped that the weekend we stayed there was, according to the staff, the best weather they'd had for months. After a day's walking we relaxed on our balcony in the sun, looking at the great view.

One of the best things about this place though, aside from the stunning vista, is the food! We both wished for larger appetites and wanted to try everything on the menu. The friendly and very helpful staff just topped off the experience.

We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zan85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool

Been to Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!