Having been regulars in Llanberis for nearly 30 years and seen the hotel many times, we finally treated ourselves to a two night stay including bed breakfast and evening meal.
The first time we (as a family of 6) climbed Snowdon and arrived at the bottom worn out I would have been so excited to be able to stay at what looks like a fabulous hotel. That was 22 years ago and perhaps it was amazing in those days.
Sadly this did not hold true when we stayed last week. We got a good deal, and enjoyed the overall experience but boy does this place need attention. Crumbling away and major decor treatment needed badly. However, we treated this with a pinch of salt, staff were pleasant and the room, although miles away (not what you really need when you just climbed down a mountain) and rather small was at least clean and comfortable.
The real problem was the evening meal. It was £25 for two (although the menu stated £18.95 each) this was the refund we got finally. The food is very poor quality and I doubt freshly cooked. The sauce on my husbands stroganoff just tasted of cornflour. My roast lamb was like a boil in the bag meal. It could have been anything, it didn't taste of lamb. So we sent the food back and got a refund!
The room on arrival was clean, however, the cleaning service carried out was appalling. The bins were not emptied (including the bathroom one which could have contained sanitary items), The used glasses were not washed, the cushions and pillows were not replaced on the bed, but the worst thing of all was that in the morning, the staff woke us up by standing outside our door having a chat about what they had all been up too! The cupboard for their equipment was along the landing and they were all in very high spirits chatting away at the tops of their voices plus the clunking and banging as they got everything together. This went on for over 20 minutes and we finally gave up trying to sleep.
If you have to stay here, try to avoid the annex (although I was told we would be in the main hotel we weren't) as it is quite a walk away and there are two lifts both of which were not working well. the second one hit you if you were not the first person in. We both have the bruises to show for it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia is nestled at the foot of the spectacular Llanberis Pass under the shadow of Snowdon itself on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park. It is set within 30 acres of gardens and woodland, cradled between Llyn Padarn and Llyn Peris. This is an ideal location in the heartland of North Wales for a breathtaking and memorable stay. Rooms are spacious with all modern amenities. The Hotel offers three restaurants, bar, residents lounge, five meeting/conference rooms and ample car parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Legacy Royal Victoria Hotel
- Legacy Royal Victoria Llanberis
- The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia Llanberis, Snowdonia National Park